Supersick_

[MOC] "Fer Maiden" - 36 Gun Privateer Frigate

•  

There be a new 5th rate frigate found in these waters. She be called the Fer Maiden, pierced for 36 guns. She's armed with 18 long guns on her upper (gun) deck with a further 14 carronades on her weather decks. 2 long gun bow chasers and 2 larger carronades on her stern complete her firepower. 

She's built at Theme-scale: a slick, fast hunter that can protect merchants ... or hunt and take prizes. In this build she is flying the black, but every smart pirate knows that a letter of marque from a faction's admiralty is worth more than pieces of eight. A "chest" of alternate flags would be a great compliment.

Features: a working capstan to weigh anchor, a stove to feed her crew, a furnished cabin for her captain, standing and running rigging with yards that rotate to accurately portray various sailing profiles, and removable foc'sle and quarter decks to allow access to her gun deck and interior.

This is designed and built using real parts first before I made it digital in Stud.io and uses 100% legal build techniques and pieces.

Now, keep that prize 2 points off our larboard bow on a broad reach, throw all sheets to the wind and let her eat.

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg
1280x960.jpg1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

Build details: this started as an evolution from my earlier Barracuda frigate (21322 x2) but quickly became her own endeavor. I tried to nail the desired level of play vs realism, staying in theme scale and hull sections. My reasoning is that it can integrate nicer with peoples' official set collections if they choose. Because of that I decided to leave the molded shrouds off the mizzenmast, which allowed me to get the proportions of the sail plan "correct" whilst still allowing for full rotation of the yards and spanker. I fully realize some of the concessions and compromises I had to make but I like the result and challenge. Apologies for the lack of detail shots, I will add more when I assemble her crew. 

Full respect to you long-time MOC builders pioneering the space, and hopefully when viewing her with the theme-scale perspective you understand why I did certain things. One of which is only 4 mid sections, though her length is much closer to that of a 5-mid-frigate.  I am currently building her modular lower hull so she can be displayed/played with a variety of ways - especially on an island beach getting careened, or perhaps in a yard getting her copper. 

•  

BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-65878/supersick_/fer-maiden-privateer-frigate/#details

•  

BREAKING NEWS: LEGO Group to Release NEW Pirate Ship! (April Fools 2021 shenanigans)

Pirates were mysteriously absent from the BrickLink Designer Program but we now have the reason...

The LEGO Group will be releasing a new pirate ship named "The Firebird Frigate", complete with box art evoking the retro style of the classic sets.

FBF1.jpg

5 hours ago, Supersick_ said:

There be a new 5th rate frigate found in these waters. She be called the Fer Maiden, pierced for 36 guns.

Thank you for sharing the completed ship. I've been following this on both Facebook and Instagram and been waiting to see the final product.

It is marvelous!  But I must ask; where are the minifigs?

Lovely looking vessel with lots of firepower, especially like the choice of figurehead.

A very nice one indeed, and although I'm familiar with you on Instagram, it's good to see you in new waters here on EB. 

Cheers for the warm welcome, guys! It's nice to get detailed and converse on the forums, finally. I made some interior/cabin renderings for our collective viewing pleasure.

Minifigs coming! I have been trying to sort out a final crew, not sure what's taken so long (busy) I should order some more parts now before I forget.

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1 hour ago, Jack Sassy said:

Lovely looking vessel with lots of firepower, especially like the choice of figurehead.

Bonus points if you can name the reference between figurehead and the ship's name.

54 minutes ago, Supersick_ said:

Minifigs coming! I have been trying to sort out a final crew, not sure what's taken so long (busy) I should order some more parts now before I forget.

Yes, recruiting the right personnel can be a lengthy process. You don't want to rush and choose a crew member which may be detrimental to the operations of the ship. :pir-laugh:

Once we get the some minifigs on board this ship would be a good candidate for the Eurobricks frontpage and Classic Pirates blog.

1 hour ago, Supersick_ said:

Bonus points if you can name the reference between figurehead and the ship's name.

Sorry, don't know the reference, although it does remind me a bit of that blonde skeleton from Iron Maiden's Number Of The Beast

11 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Sorry, don't know the reference, although it does remind me a bit of that blonde skeleton from Iron Maiden's Number Of The Beast

That works, Eddie! The colorway and pharaoh headdress (neme?) are an ode to the Powerslave album artwork. Eddie is a pharaoh/Sphinx. Personally it’s a toss up between Number of the Beast and Powerslave album for me as their all time best.

30 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Yes, recruiting the right personnel can be a lengthy process. You don't want to rush and choose a crew member which may be detrimental to the operations of the ship. :pir-laugh:

Once we get the some minifigs on board this ship would be a good candidate for the Eurobricks frontpage and Classic Pirates blog.

Yes! I’ll have the hull bottom finished by then as well. So I could potentially create quite a few scenes for you.  Plus I’ve got these island and dock pieces burning a hole in their containers to help portray various vintage feeling “box art” shots. 

Edited by Supersick_

2 minutes ago, Supersick_ said:

That works, Eddie! The colorway and pharaoh headdress (neme?) are an ode to the Powerslave album artwork. Eddie is a pharaoh/Sphinx. Personally it’s a toss up between Number of the Beast and Powerslave album for me as their all time best.

Ah, but of course. How could I forget about Powerslave? Good reference.:thumbup:

14 minutes ago, Supersick_ said:

Yes! I’ll have the hull bottom finished by then as well. So I could potentially create quite a few scenes for you. Plus I’ve got these island and dock pieces burning a hole in their containers to help portray various vintage feeling “box art” shots. 

That would be AWESOME! :pir-love:

Very nice frigate and good photos. It's interesting to see the many details.

Thanks for the comments, really gave me some motivation to work on my brig and sloop designs whilst waiting for Bricklink deliveries. 

5 hours ago, Supersick_ said:

Thanks for the comments, really gave me some motivation to work on my brig and sloop designs whilst waiting for Bricklink deliveries.

Well, you're doing great work so now you have a fan base eagerly waiting to see more!

I saw this MOC when you first posted it, but forgot to comment. It's a really good build! I think you nailed the play vs. realism here. It looks realistic enough to be a proper model, but doesn't look off when you'd put it next to the new Black Seas Barracuda. You really hit the spot between having enough details and not going overboard with too much details. Can't wait to see it with the figures!

I also saw the brickbuilt bottom on Bricksafe and that looks interesting as well. A neat solution to expand upon the existing hull pieces.

On 3/13/2021 at 6:10 AM, Khorne said:

I saw this MOC when you first posted it, but forgot to comment. It's a really good build! I think you nailed the play vs. realism here. It looks realistic enough to be a proper model, but doesn't look off when you'd put it next to the new Black Seas Barracuda. You really hit the spot between having enough details and not going overboard with too much details. Can't wait to see it with the figures!

I also saw the brickbuilt bottom on Bricksafe and that looks interesting as well. A neat solution to expand upon the existing hull pieces.

Cheers, I appreciate that.

I built the lower hull in bricks recently. Finally got around to some pics. Really happy with how it turned out! 

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

She also got a crew! Well, at least the start of a crew. 

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

7 hours ago, cehnot said:

great ship. Love the lower deck. 

She’s ready to hunt some 7 Seas East Indiamen/Galleons ... :jollyroger:

I love the look of this ship. You have some great shaping going on and I really like that you added a full hull to the prefab parts.

It looks to me like the bottom addition goes a little deep and is too angular. It doesn't seem to follow the curve established by prefab pieces.

On 3/23/2021 at 9:10 AM, Supersick_ said:

She’s ready to hunt some 7 Seas East Indiamen/Galleons ... :jollyroger:

And what a beauty she is! :pir-love:

7 hours ago, rock raider said:

I love the look of this ship. You have some great shaping going on and I really like that you added a full hull to the prefab parts.

It looks to me like the bottom addition goes a little deep and is too angular. It doesn't seem to follow the curve established by prefab pieces.

I think you're right... I've messed around tonight and I think I can modify it to remove 1 brick's worth of height whilst still retaining some accurate shaping. I never noticed that my original version I blocked in grew during shaping refinement and I never went back to my original height that was referenced from plans. 

3 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

And what a beauty she is! :pir-love:

I'll make the final hull changes this week so it can finally be "done" for posting. Finally. Maybe. Yes. I dunno. :pir-murder:

Edited by Supersick_

28 minutes ago, Supersick_ said:

I'll make the final hull changes this week so it can finally be "done" for posting. Finally. Maybe. Yes. I dunno. 

We shall find out!