20feet

Modified TIE Fighter MOC

5 hours ago, 20feet said:

You can click through the gallery for the whole story, but the TL;DR is that TIE Fighters (including Vader's!) have rear windows... on the inside.  But the layout of the TIE interior set is inconsistent with the exterior models.

Interesting...I knew of course about the misalignment of the front window, but I always assumed the rear window only looked a bit off due to the angle it was filmed from. I guess one way of reconciling it would be to assume that it's not really a window, but an awkwardly placed screen.

19 hours ago, Tom_Brick said:

Interesting...I knew of course about the misalignment of the front window, but I always assumed the rear window only looked a bit off due to the angle it was filmed from. I guess one way of reconciling it would be to assume that it's not really a window, but an awkwardly placed screen.

Ya, you can come up with convoluted rationalizations for the inconsistencies, but the truth is the set/prop designers just weren't very concerned about getting the details right.  And arguments about what the greebles on these ships "really" are is silly, because what they are is plastic props from an old movie.

Mind you, I am obsessed with accurately modelling the minutest details of these plastic props.  But I try not to take it too seriously :classic:

I have a teaser to share for my upcoming all-new TIE Fighter MOC, which I've been working on for the past 6+ months:

TIE Fighter Teaser

When I finished my mod of Jerac's TIE Fighter in February, I kept the original wing shape and structure.  I wanted to build my own version, but I knew it would take some work.

Once I figured out the wing hub, I wanted to rebuild everything else with the same level of accuracy and detail.

I'm almost done.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:58 AM, 20feet said:

TIE Fighter Teaser

Once I figured out the wing hub, I wanted to rebuild everything else with the same level of accuracy and detail.

You are insane (in a good way)

Edited by Guyinaplaguemask
Grammar correction

On 9/29/2021 at 11:59 AM, Guyinaplaguemask said:

You are insane (in a good way)

Thanks!  Can’t wait to share - I’m (still) almost done :classic:

On 10/1/2021 at 10:08 AM, Guyinaplaguemask said:

You've been almost done for almost a month ;)

Yep, just waiting for some rare pieces to arrive.  Then I think I'll be done.  But you know how that goes.

23 hours ago, 20feet said:

I finished my new TIE Fighter!  Will discuss in a new topic here shortly.

It's really impressive, especially the cockpit. Just love it.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:35 AM, 20feet said:

I finished my new TIE Fighter!  Will discuss in a new topic here shortly.

Holy cow it looks amazing. I can't believe all the detail packed into this thing, it looks like it will explode at the drop of a hat. How sturdy is it?

Thanks everyone!

On 10/23/2021 at 9:57 AM, Guyinaplaguemask said:

Holy cow it looks amazing. I can't believe all the detail packed into this thing, it looks like it will explode at the drop of a hat. How sturdy is it?

Well, with Lego axles it's wobbly, but "shelf-stable".  With metal axles, fairly solid.  There are several greebly bits that are easy to bump out of place - I had to re-take some pictures because I later noticed something was crooked.