Brick Jongleur

[Ideas] THE "ADLER" - GERMANY'S FIRST REGULARLY OPERATED TRAIN

Hello friends of the stone,

I have submitted a historical model on Lego Ideas. It is the first steam locomotive that was used regularly in Germany. It was built by George and Robert Stephenson in the English city of Newcastle. The "Adler" (eng. Eagle).

The train was ordered by the "Königlich privilegierte Ludwigs-Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft" in Nuremberg (LEG), which wanted to use the train on its route between Nuremberg and Fürth. The first trip took place on December 7th 1835. Regular service then began one day later.

If you like this idea and design, I would be very happy if you support and share this design. Comments are also welcome.

Thank you very much, Brick Juggler.

https://ideas.lego.com/s/p:74171458fcb34ecaa19594a78bf143d5?s=m

51017648897_58ecafe0e6_k.jpg

51016822383_0bfa53134c_k.jpg

Excellently done. Love the telegraph lines.

Funny story about Prussia/Imperial Germany and trains - I was actually permanently banned from the Railcams Youtube channel (you can, like, type in all of them) for having the handle 'OttovonBismarck' for a while. I never spoke; never made comments. Just discovered one day that I'd been purged. Because... I guess anything German must = bad? Sigh. People are so small-minded.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

Great idea and it is looking perfect. Nice to see it also includes some wagons as well. 
It may not be so iconic as Stephenson's rocket (for those outside Germany) so I am afraid it won't make it, but you can never stop hoping.  

Good luck anyway

Oh, the Stephenson's rocket would be a REAL challenge - hard to implement in minifigure scale.

On the other hand, the "Trevithick's Locomotive ( Pen-y-Darren, 1804 )" and "Tom Thumb" I have already built, but not yet submitted to Ideas.

Greetings, Brick Juggler.

A great build

3 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

It may not be so iconic as Stephenson's rocket (for those outside Germany) so I am afraid it won't make it, but you can never stop hoping.

The submission of trains to Lego Ideas is strictly for entertainment purposes only. So far no train has made it, and only 2-3 hit the 10k mark. It is still good to wave the flag though.

59 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

A great build

The submission of trains to Lego Ideas is strictly for entertainment purposes only. So far no train has made it, and only 2-3 hit the 10k mark. It is still good to wave the flag though.

Hi zephyr1923, since you are from the US, how do you rate this historical theme, would these have a chance?

https://www.history.com/news/industrial-revolution-horse-train-railroads

5 hours ago, Brick Jongleur said:

Hi zephyr1923, since you are from the US, how do you rate this historical theme, would these have a chance?

https://www.history.com/news/industrial-revolution-horse-train-railroads

I think the only way a train is making it through is if it has some kind of a power feature. Now, that power doesn't have to be in the loco - one of the cars could have it. But Lego seems to be downright adamant that their train releases not be hand-driven. That's the only criticism I have for your (excellent) work.

Also, as far as the "it's not Stephenson's rocket" comment is concerned - honestly, when you're talking about the first locomotives, they all pretty much looked the same. You could tell me that the OP's loco was from America or France or whatever, and I'd believe you. I don't think, in this instance, the nationality is necessarily a sticking point as far as Lego is concerned (though it may be more difficult to accrue votes to get to 10k). 

By the way, @Brick Jongleur, what did you use to make the bumpers on the cars/loco?

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

3 minutes ago, Brick Jongleur said:

So far, it is only available in white.
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=49731#T=A

By the way, a drive wagon is optional with me. But it is not historically correct. Therefore optional.

51016822158_9887cc7647_k.jpg

Well there you go. I think, with that, you have as strong a chance as any other train. Honestly, I think this is a really slick project, and would be happy to own one.

22 hours ago, Brick Jongleur said:

I don't know, until you start paying attention I would agree with @SteamSewnEmpire that all of the early locomotives blur together. That could work in your favor, since an Ideas model needs to look good on the desk of a non-train person and more so because the regional distinction is close to zero compared to a TGV, the Flying Scottsman or a SD40. Of course once you start paying attention to early locomotives, over a span of a few decades the designs changed significantly every few years. I suspect there is limited interest in early locomotives, so at most, Lego would only make one set, but there might be enough interest for a single set and the fact that your design is PU compatible helps in that regard. But getting back to my first comment, I would not expect any train submitted to Ideas to turn into a set, but it is like playing the lottery, as long as you don't mind the fact that you have a minuscule chance of winning, if you do win it is a big win.

A couple of other random thoughts,

1) I don't know how much interest there might be in early locomotives in the general lego community, or even among train-head AFOLs. I suspect that a typical rail fan's favorite trains were the ones that were still running but in the process of disappearing when they were kids. So that brings both regional and temporal constraints on the market

2) If you look around, there are some pretty good MOCs of the Rocket at minifig scale

3) One subject that might get an edge in Ideas is revisiting the theme of set 396, Thatcher Perkins. Strangely the set was based on a US locomotive but was never for sale in the US

Hi zephyr1923,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. I will definitely look at the Rocket, the sticking point is the piston in minifigure scale. The 396 set is interesting and I will also take a closer look.
Locomotives from childhood I estimate very difficult, because they are very country-specific, with us, for example, the Crocodile is totally fascinating or a BR 01. Came with you the set 10277 (Crocodile) well?

Edited by Brick Jongleur

18 hours ago, Brick Jongleur said:

Hi zephyr1923,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. I will definitely look at the Rocket, the sticking point is the piston in minifigure scale. The 396 set is interesting and I will also take a closer look.
Locomotives from childhood I estimate very difficult, because they are very country-specific, with us, for example, the Crocodile is totally fascinating or a BR 01. Came with you the set 10277 (Crocodile) well?

Oh, my comments were mostly in general. If you are going to build, build something YOU are interested in. I only mentioned the Rocket because somewhere in the thread someone said it was impossible at minifig scale. As you can tell from my recent post, I too have taken an interest in early steam locomotives, but I am not aspiring to be an expert. At any rate, don't worry about building for Lego Ideas, even a perfect MOC probably will not get picked. If you build something you like and then put it on Ideas, no problem. But if you are building FOR Ideas, you'll probably wind up disappointed.

I love the train! Agree with comments about the chances of trains on Ideas but giving up will never get a train made so keep excellent entries like this coming.

One thing though: Adler first ran in 1835. Electricity didn't arrive in Germany until nearly 50 years later.... Maybe change the overhead power lines for something more accurate for the time?

3 hours ago, Duq said:

One thing though: Adler first ran in 1835. Electricity didn't arrive in Germany until nearly 50 years later.... Maybe change the overhead power lines for something more accurate for the time?

You are right. However, the track of the "Adler" was lost and so it was rebuilt in 1935 (replica). At that time there were then the telegraph poles. Besides, the diorama looks nicer this way ;)

Edited by Brick Jongleur

This is really awesome! And as a Franconian, I can  relate very well to the Adler. I love it.

Spoiler

But as was said, it will sadly never make it into production. At least because BB will have their -- already announced -- version of the Adler on the market by then. :/

Edited by Black Knight
fix typo

Great model! I love the early locomotives  and that pioneer feeling they have! :grin_wub:

The way you inserted the PuP power source in one of the wagons is in my opinion  very appropriate. These locomotives are too "naked" and cannot cover any motor, cable or mechanical feature. plus, battery boxes (even small ones) are quite big and made in not so fitting colors.

I do not know if it can be a good candidate for IDEAS (I wish you that!) , but for sure it is a perfect one  to get a lot of THUMBS UP!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: :wub:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

@Black Knight

The BB model is less filigree and if I see it correctly partly 9 nubs wide. The best detail is the leaf spring on the large driving wheel. But just this place is also difficult, because the used fender part robs you of a lot of constructional freedom there, which is why I did without it.

18 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Great model! I love the early locomotives  and that pioneer feeling they have! :grin_wub:

The way you inserted the PuP power source in one of the wagons is in my opinion  very appropriate. These locomotives are too "naked" and cannot cover any motor, cable or mechanical feature. plus, battery boxes (even small ones) are quite big and made in not so fitting colors.

I do not know if it can be a good candidate for IDEAS (I wish you that!) , but for sure it is a perfect one  to get a lot of THUMBS UP!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: :wub:

Thank you very much. I know that it is difficult. The difficult things in life challenge you, and nothing ventured, nothing gained. But luck is also part of it and sometimes is "Lego Ideas" is very surprising.

I am just getting into the hobby. But coming up to speed rapidly.  I discovered your work just the other day.  It is absolutely breathtaking in detail and experience with the subject matter.  Keep up the inspiring work. 

Welcome @Brick Jongleur and @kondor7001 to Eurobricks in general and Train tech in particular. Thanks for sharing.

The first Dutch locomotive was the Arend (Dutch translation of German Adler, I think they got their name from the German locomotive). Interestingly enough both were lost and a replica was presented at their 100 year anniversary (according to Wikipedia).

On 3/16/2021 at 4:28 AM, Brick Jongleur said:

@Black Knight

The BB model is less filigree and if I see it correctly partly 9 nubs wide. The best detail is the leaf spring on the large driving wheel. But just this place is also difficult, because the used fender part robs you of a lot of constructional freedom there, which is why I did without it.

Thank you very much. I know that it is difficult. The difficult things in life challenge you, and nothing ventured, nothing gained. But luck is also part of it and sometimes is "Lego Ideas" is very surprising.

Nice! Its good to see a fellow LEGO IDEAS member on eurobricks! :D