Tom_Brick

Star Wars / Classic Space Mesh-ups

Hi, since I'm relatively new here, I figured I'd post some of the stuff I've been doing during COVID lockdown (mostly Star Wars related). I don't mean to spam this forum, so I figured I'd create only a few new threads over the next days where I collect some of my designs thematically, starting with this one.

I've recently started to get into Neo Classic Space. I wanted to design the sets I would have craved as a kid. The results are these Star Wars / Classic Space mesh-ups. Instructions to all of them are up on Rebrickable: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/?tag=15887&include_accessory=on&include_bmodel=on&include_subset=on

PS.: If you dig Classic Space, please consider supporting my NEO GALAXY EXPLORER over on the Lego Ideas Platform. I have opened a separate thread for it over here: 

Galaxy Starfighter X
640x512.png 640x512.png

Galaxy Starfighter A
640x512.png 640x512.png

Galaxy Starfighter Y
640x512.png 640x512.png

Twin Engine Laser Craft
640x512.png 640x512.png

Polaris I Speeder
640x512.png 640x512.png

BOW Starfighter
640x512.png 640x512.png

Ice Dune Speeder
640x452.jpg 640x453.png

All Terrain Magnetizer
640x512.jpg 640x512.jpg

Love seeing this sort of stuff, great work! I think my favourite is the All Terrain Magnetizer. Interesting that you based the Y-Wing off of the UCS rather than the system scale set like the rest. The Outland TIE is fantastic, it almost has no business being among the rest of these stylised models :laugh: 

HA!  THESE ARE GREAT! :sweet:
My favorites are the Starfighter A and the NB01 - if they were actual sets, they would be day one purchases.

These are magnificent! I think my favourite is the Starfighter A - that notch in the nose is as good as anything I've seen in a "real" A-wing. How did you achieve the half-stud offset? And with the Starfighter X, did you give any thought to adding a Classic Space-style robot behind the cockpit?

52 minutes ago, The Shuttlefan said:

These are magnificent! I think my favourite is the Starfighter A - that notch in the nose is as good as anything I've seen in a "real" A-wing. How did you achieve the half-stud offset? And with the Starfighter X, did you give any thought to adding a Classic Space-style robot behind the cockpit?

Thanks. Regarding your questions:

• I previously did a "proper" A-Wing MOC which this one is based on. I'll post my non-crossover MOCs soon. The way I got the little gap was by having the two sides sit on axles only, two on each side. In the middle I have panels preventing them from sliding in all the way.
  • As for the Starfighter X, I actually didn't think about using an old school robot. That's actually a great idea. I'll look into that, though on the X-Wing it might be a bit tricky. On the Y-Wing, it shouldn't be an issue though.

OK... these are way better than I thought they'd be.  Some are basically re-colors of SW sets with a few older elements included so of course they look nice, but the extra details with things like the Blacktron TIE, Ice Planet snowspeeder, and M-tron AT-ST are truly delightful!

Great builds!  :sweet:

These are great! There were a few posts of star wars vehicles using the classic space part inventory, but I love this twist of modernized SW sets made to look like classic space. You also clearly know your stuff, as aside from the basic "blacktron as empire and classic space as rebels", you've got the snowspeeder as ice planet, and the M-tron walker is genius! The one thing I'd say is that the outlander kinda just seems like a normal set with a classic space figure and windscreen, though the design itself is incredible and since it's a completely new design and not a mod like some of the others, I can see why you'd want to keep it in the canon colors.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

They're great builds, if the space figures were excluded, they would be great recoloured star wars MOCs in they're own right, the same going for them if SW didn't exist, in that they would be great space MOCs. The matching of the different space subthemes to the specific spacecraft is genius. The speeder bike is a great build.

Wow, these are great, I love it!
My favorite is the Blacktron(? :blush: ) AT-ST, very nicely done!

Regards,
Mitch

I love it! Really well done.

My favorite is definitely the snowspeeder. I don't know why, but it works so well.

Thank you for sharing.

On 3/9/2021 at 3:40 AM, CF Mitch said:

Wow, these are great, I love it!
My favorite is the Blacktron(? :blush: ) AT-ST, very nicely done!

Regards,
Mitch

I think that's M-Tron. Blacktron is just black and yellow. M-Tron adds the red.

9 hours ago, JaCor653 said:

I think that's M-Tron. Blacktron is just black and yellow. M-Tron adds the red.

Ooohh, right, of course!

Regards,
Mitch

On 3/9/2021 at 6:34 PM, l0renZo said:

My favorite is definitely the snowspeeder. I don't know why, but it works so well.

That canopy piece really neatly sidesteps the slightly clunky nature of the canopy official Snowspeeder builds (and the almost horizontal seating position of the pilot and gunner that comes with it)

Great minds think alike. I have Neo-CS X-Wing, A-Wing, Y-Wing just like you! But I have a Blacktron 2 TIE Fighter. M:Tron Sandcrawler. And I am currently working on an Ice Planet Snowspeeder...weird

Yours look great. Really captures the themes. It's funny how similar idea and similar source material and mine look different from yours.

Have fun!

21 minutes ago, TheLegoDr said:

Great minds think alike. I have Neo-CS X-Wing, A-Wing, Y-Wing just like you! But I have a Blacktron 2 TIE Fighter. M:Tron Sandcrawler. And I am currently working on an Ice Planet Snowspeeder...weird

Yours look great. Really captures the themes. It's funny how similar idea and similar source material and mine look different from yours.

Have fun!

I guess I just built what I craved for as a child :sweet:

But now you made me curious...care to share your designs?

1 minute ago, Tom_Brick said:

I guess I just built what I craved for as a child :sweet:

But now you made me curious...care to share your designs?

I would love to. I need to get better pictures of some of them. But once I'm finished I'll do like you did and have a string of themed MOCs in one page.

And I forgot to list my WIP Blacktron 1 AT-ST since it reminded me of the Alienator. 

I worked on these during quarantine last spring 2020 and then had to get back to work so they were put on hold for quite a while until I started accumulating pieces that might work.