Hi everyone. This will be my first MOC on this website. 

The supercars that are uploaded here are of course amazing and much engineering and time went into those remarkable models, but for me it got a bit boring, and I wished to see more ordinary engineering solutions replicated with lego technic, so I decided to build a modern fwd-hatchback. The exact model was not yet determined, thats why I'm waiting for your suggestions in the comments below. :wink:

I want the model to be as accurate as possible so it will will feature:

-Mcpherson front suspension/torsion beam rear suspension

-drive via 2 coupled l-motors/steering

-detailed ex- and interior

-81,6mm tires from 42110/roughly 1:8 scale

-detailed engine bay

This is the chassis that I came up with after a day of work:

51007740518_c3ba460f23_c.jpg

The front Mcpherson suspension was built with the guidance of Nicjasnos suspension-tutorials:

51007738913_e30b1437e0_c.jpg

The rear torsion-beam suspension was taken from Sheepos website:

51008451191_b4f75e16ac_c.jpg

I'm now open for any suggestions concerning the exact car manufacteurer (for example Honda,Toyota,VW etc.) and model that I will then try to replicate as accurately as possible. 

More progress is to come as soon as I have decided on that. :sweet:

Comments questions or critique are wanted and appreciated.

Edited by nano21

Very cool to see something other than the usual Lego suspension.

Could you bring the wishbones back a little, to add caster angle?

I guess it'll ideally need to replicate a FWD car with long suspension travel, or is it plausible to make it a 4wd?

Great to see a focus on technical accuracy.

Only comment at this stage is to check if the potential bonnet line will clear the strut towers.

Will follow with interest.

1 hour ago, Brickend said:

Only comment at this stage is to check if the potential bonnet line will clear the strut towers.

That's actually my biggest concern for now...:sceptic: guess I'll have to build a car with a steep/high bonnet/bulky front around the chassis. Talk Hyundai i30/Veloster, Ford fiesta etc.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this one.

your front struts look very tall in relationship to the top of the wheel.

as to what to build a Golf may be easier to do. I’d opt for something with simple styling features as it may be easier to capture the shapes

I like the idea! Transverse drivetrains are an interesting challenge compared to the more common (in Technic) longitudinal ones, and the unusual suspension designs are also interesting! I've been doing a co-op in an auto shop these days, so I get to see a lot of suspensions from below, which has caused an "itch" in me to try some types I haven't done yet, such as the torsion-beam one you have here. I'm just not sure that I'm willing to build a whole model just to try out a suspension concept, but it'll be interesting to see yours!

Hey everyone. As for the first update, I will not continue this moc in it's current form. I spent the weekend reevaluating the whole idea. After a few tests, the front axle showed to be quite flimsy and the front strut towers won't clear the bonnet line unless the car will be a small crossover/SUV. This strongly interferes with my wish for this model so I decided to take some time and  remove the drivetrain, build a new front axle and chassis. It'll then be a lot easier to find a suitable car to build. Stay tuned, it'll certainly get interesting! :wink:

Edited by nano21

Thanks for all of your replies and suggestions. 

Here is a little update. I have completely rebuilt the chassis and the front axle, while staying true to the mcpherson suspension. I used smaller shocks in order to achieve smaller strut towers, so I can build a realistic bonnet. 

51015788868_f2cbb48390_c.jpg

The new chassis:

51015816628_120fd355bf_c.jpg

Cool, it's been a long time since I've seen those front and rear suspensions from Sheepo's MPS system used. I did the same lay-out a few years back (in my 1:10 mini-van MOC), but I guess with the currently available parts it would be easier to make it all a bit more compact.

The biggest challenge for me back them was to fit the gearbox, but you've tackled that by going RC and skipping the gearbox altogether. Smart move :grin:!

As for the actual brand/model: I always look at loads of different pics, to see if I can imagine styling features from real cars in bricks. Usually when you already have an idea how to recreate a distinct feature, the rest will flow from there... But personally I wouldn't choose a complete model to recreate, I always make my own designs based on a few 'borrowed' key features. It's hard enough to make bodywork, even harder to try scale modelling with Technic...