Looks great! I'm not sure whether I prefer the smaller red or the bigger lime arches, but the rest looks cool!

After a lot of tinkering I've managed to find a way to have those rearlights in a relatively clean way in the rear together with all the curved serpentine lines:

51064145856_6f21e5d967_c.jpg

Looks great. The shape of the taillights is definitely right. Although I am not sure on the sturdiness with it just being attached with two studs. Then again, you won't be touching the lights anyway. 

By the way, I'm wondering why you chose this exhaust setup. When I look up images of the Venom F5 I find triangle shaped triple exhaust setups.

48 minutes ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

It seems there are more variants of the exhaust placing...

This is the 2021 version.

That is indeed the version I am modeling

5 hours ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

It seems there are more variants of the exhaust placing...

Ah, that makes sense. I do prefer the triple exhaust setup personally but good to know this setup is still faithful to the real car. 

Jeroen, it's great fun to watch this car coming along so nicely (and quickly!).

I would critisize the usage of connectors on the rear end. IMO using panels or soft axles  would give a sharper look, especially considering that the edges are very thin on the real car. I am not so sure about the mudguard panels in the front as well. They appear to be oversized (which they do on almost every car unfortunately). The smaller arches from the 488 set seemed more appropriate but that would mean shifting back to a red body.

Looking forward to more progress!

On 3/23/2021 at 1:25 PM, T Lego said:

Jeroen, it's great fun to watch this car coming along so nicely (and quickly!).

I would critisize the usage of connectors on the rear end. IMO using panels or soft axles  would give a sharper look, especially considering that the edges are very thin on the real car. I am not so sure about the mudguard panels in the front as well. They appear to be oversized (which they do on almost every car unfortunately). The smaller arches from the 488 set seemed more appropriate but that would mean shifting back to a red body.

Looking forward to more progress!

I understand where you are coming from with the connectors. Unfortunately there is very little room to work with to attach anything in the back. I only have 2-3 studs depth to work with. The nice thing about the connectors is that they don't require any force to stay in place. So the supporting structure can be simpler. Whereas bending flexaxles in shape at these curvatures requires a lot of force that requires a much stronger and stiffer supportstructure.

I may make a red version as well, but for now the lime colour advantage outweighs the larger gaps around the wheels.

Hi,

Another update. Here is a first attempt at the side view. As you can see I am running out of lime parts here and there :look:.

51006495520_cd084c0d9e_c.jpg

This is still a very crude version. Things to improve:
- Get a mechanism to 'lock' the door in position when closed
- Get rid of that gap between the two 5x7 panels at the end of the door
- Get a better orientation of the 5x7 panel before the fender
- In general get all panels fixed in a proper way
I also don't like the gap between the fender and the 3x13 panel above it and finally the roof is too wide and too high at the sides. So the monococue will need a redesign as well. So it is one step forward, two steps back at this point.

I am also still on the fence with the colour vs the fender size... I may have to build both :head_back:

Looking good! Couple points worth noting: the side intake looks a bit off and the front isn't pointy enough (might be the angle of the photo). Overall great progress, keeping us intrigued!

On 3/22/2021 at 6:23 PM, Jeroen Ottens said:

After a lot of tinkering I've managed to find a way to have those rearlights in a relatively clean way in the rear together with all the curved serpentine lines:

51064145856_6f21e5d967_c.jpg

I would say that, referring to @MP LEGO Technic creations pic, the rear wheel arches are further from the rear. I do like what you've got going here! Lovely design!

15 minutes ago, Scoar Sonander said:

I would say that, referring to @MP LEGO Technic creations pic, the rear wheel arches are further from the rear. I do like what you've got going here! Lovely design!

You may have point there... Of course the big green fenders do eat more away because they have such a wide spacing around the wheels. With the red mudguards I would have a stud extra space. But even than I might be a bit too short.

2 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

You may have point there... Of course the big green fenders do eat more away because they have such a wide spacing around the wheels. With the red mudguards I would have a stud extra space. But even than I might be a bit too short.

hmm... The red mudguards might work! The only thing is, using red on the rear and lime on the front! Maybe you could make some sort of livery...?

22 minutes ago, Scoar Sonander said:

hmm... The red mudguards might work! The only thing is, using red on the rear and lime on the front! Maybe you could make some sort of livery...?

No, then I would make the whole car red.

8 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

No, then I would make the whole car red.

Oh... I was just wondering if the 1/8 scale front wheels would bump into the rims when turning... I don't know! I don't have these pieces in my collection (the red rims).

Time for another update:

51092299394_bce0d97307_c.jpg

I have redone the roof to make it more curved and less wide. I also added the paneling that goes over the motor. It is DBG at the moment, but I may change that to black.

I also made the rear. It is now one stud further to the back which gave room for a stronger structure behind it, so it is much more solid now.

The paneling on top behind the door is nice and smooth, but does not resemble the real car at all, so I will tear that all apart and start over again (maybe even including the top part of the door). It is always a balance to find the lines with LEGO parts that give a clean look, versus following the lines of the real car to the millimeter, but I feel that in this case I have strayed too far from the real thing.

Hennessey-Venom-F5-4.jpg

So next attempt will be to try to create that sharp line between the side and the top from flexaxles.

Leg godt

All you need is some custom stickers for the rear vents... :grin: 

And don't be to hard on yourself! It looks great!

Edited by Scoar Sonander

Nice work! I am a big fan of the way you made the bodywork flow from the doors to the wheelarches. Very clever. I would personally make the engine cover black though. DBG looks a bit odd here.

This is looking amazing! Big fan of the new roof, although I also agree the engine cover would look better black.

Its starting to look pretty good.  Is there anyway to get a bit more of a curved rear end, Although I like the shapes you have made with the connectors, it is looking a little bit flat.  The roof and engine cover looks good. 

It would be good if you could get the panel in front of the rear wheels to meet closer to panels above, and at the moment I recon the air intakes on the doors are a little bit extreme.  

However, it is coming together nicely.  

Thanks everybody for the nice comments and helpful tips. That is much appreciated.

20 hours ago, LvdH said:

Nice work! I am a big fan of the way you made the bodywork flow from the doors to the wheelarches. Very clever. I would personally make the engine cover black though. DBG looks a bit odd here.

15 hours ago, langko said:

This is looking amazing! Big fan of the new roof, although I also agree the engine cover would look better black.

I'll change that once I have the big panels in black.

3 hours ago, Pvdb said:

Its starting to look pretty good.  Is there anyway to get a bit more of a curved rear end, Although I like the shapes you have made with the connectors, it is looking a little bit flat.  The roof and engine cover looks good. 

It would be good if you could get the panel in front of the rear wheels to meet closer to panels above, and at the moment I recon the air intakes on the doors are a little bit extreme.  

However, it is coming together nicely.  

In which direction do you miss the curvature? From top to bottom or from side to side?

In the meantime I have rebuilt the 'hip' section. Here are two pics of the whole car as it is now:

51094277956_95183565c5_c.jpg

51094820508_5114393e7a_c.jpg
I am not completely sold on the front of the roof, I would like to get a forward curve on it as well, but I haven't figured out a way to do that.

The side intakes are still a bit extreme, but at least I have a first attempt at the front lights:

51094820708_93c6a4ef1b_c.jpg

And a final shot from the back to show those rear lights (yeah I really like them :blush:):

51094277801_4e577a5c20_c.jpg

Almost all bodywork is now securely fixed in place. So it is time to work on the inside again. I still have to add a gearbox, find a place to operate it, invent the mechanism to open the doors and do the whole detailing of the interior and engine(bay).