Ribsey

(HELP) Re 42109 Top Gear Rally Car

Managed to pick up a 42109 Top Gear Rally car nice and cheap.

I'm looking to remove the motors and hub, to be used in my Mac Anthem, and then rebuild the car and use it on the car transporter.

The issue I am having is that the hub is an integral part of the build.

Does anyone know if there is a "fake" hub moc available or what I would need to use to replace it in the build ??

I don’t have the model but I’ve just looked through the instructions online and it should be quite easy to convert the Top Gear car from powered to manual. Even the central hub  should be reasonably easy to replace with a combination of connectors and liftarms.

25 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Not buying 42109 would have been my advice...

At £43 it was too cheap not to !!

3 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I don’t have the model but I’ve just looked through the instructions online and it should be quite easy to convert the Top Gear car from powered to manual. Even the central hub  should be reasonably easy to replace with a combination of connectors and liftarms.

I figured it is possible, with the correct parts - was just wondering if anyone had already done it.

I don't have a huge spare parts inventory and will probably need to order some bits.

8 minutes ago, Seasider said:

This might help you. Racing Brick YouTube has modified the car for a non hub powered car.

Either I'm being totally thick or this is just a comparison between the 2 types of hub....

The hub is basically just a 9x9 Technic frame in this context.

Shouldn't be too hard to get a common or garden 5*7 frame and bulk it out to meet the necessary mounting points.

12 minutes ago, Ribsey said:

Either I'm being totally thick or this is just a comparison between the 2 types of hub....

He’s replaced the hub. The video in places shows structure he’s put in to replace it. Looks like a couple of lift arms running front to back underneath are a good starting point.

On 3/5/2021 at 4:12 PM, Seasider said:

He’s replaced the hub. The video in places shows structure he’s put in to replace it. Looks like a couple of lift arms running front to back underneath are a good starting point.

Thanks, as I suspected it wasme being thick !!