Jim

Calling AFOL engineers and STEM enthusiasts to be part of LEGO Technic campaign

Message from TLG

Dear all,

We are reaching out with exciting news about a new opportunity to be involved in a LEGO Technic campaign going live in September, where your role will be to inspire kids to do STEM challenges. 

We are looking for 5-7 volunteers who will be asked to create a 1-2 min video where they set up a challenge that can excite kids about STEM and inspire them to try their own stunt or ‘household hack’ at home, e.g. “How would you move a massive wheel using only LEGO elements?”. We would like you to call out tips and tricks for the kids as you build/create and you can use all types of LEGO elements incl. LEGO MINDSTORMS.

The purpose of the video footage is to be used in the LEGO Life app and potentially LEGO.com/kids or Social Media to inspire kids (under 13) and potentially also adults to do their own STEM challenges at home with whatever they have at hand.  

The video footage would need to be created and shared with us by end of May and a more detailed brief will be shared via email with the volunteers that are selected for this activity.

Here’s what we are looking for: 

• Interest or competencies: 
    • Engineer skills - either professional or on a hobby basis 
    • Using LEGO Technic as a hobby or in your professional work
    • STEM competencies
    • Creativity
    • Basic video knowledge (shooting with your phone in a well-lit setting is okay) 
    • English speaking (doesn’t have to be your mother tongue) 
  • Participants can be ambassadors or other community members with a profile on LAN   
  • Participants will not be under NDA - but we do ask participants to keep the content of the brief confidential - if members from your community are signing up please make sure they understand this  
  •  Participants must be 18 years old or older    
  • Participants can be located anywhere in the world 
  • You should be comfortable with speaking to the camera in English as we would like you to describe what you’re doing throughout the footage. We would love to see your face in the video too, as the kids connect better with “real people” but this is not a requirement     
  • As we would like to share the footage on LEGO channels you should be savvy with doing video (even if it’s just with your phone) and understand how to set up an inspirational “scenery” (doesn’t need to be too polished but no dirty underwear in the background etc). 

How to sign up:   
Sign up by filling in this form. The link is not restricted so you can send it to any community members who wish to sign up as well (all information in this post can also be shared).    

The deadline to sign up is March 15th at 11:30 p.m. CET.    

If selected, you will be sent a follow up email with more details and some papers to sign no later than March 31st and we will of course send you some LEGO Technic products to potentially (not necessarily) use in your video.

Looking forward to hearing from all you AFOL engineers and STEM enthusiasts out there! :) 

All the best,

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

STEM competencies

What is STEM? The same like MINT?

Edited by efferman

Hmmm.

Collaboration is allowed? I'd be STEM man and I'd collab with a showman. STAM and PAM.
    I'm not drunk I swear

<sarcasm mode on>
    Hi, this is TLG, we would like you to volunteer your time, expertise, and resources to help prop up our brand... no, no compensation, just playing on your desires to be associated with an official TLG advertising campaign... you know, something to brag about on the forums and put on your resume? Its for a good cause, you know, STEM and all, so like no story here on a big corporation leveraging user fanaticism for a brand into a marketing advantage over competition, no, we would never do that at TLG...
    <sarcasm mode off>

4 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

<sarcasm mode on>
    Hi, this is TLG, we would like you to volunteer your time, expertise, and resources to help prop up our brand... no, no compensation, just playing on your desires to be associated with an official TLG advertising campaign... you know, something to brag about on the forums and put on your resume? Its for a good cause, you know, STEM and all, so like no story here on a big corporation leveraging user fanaticism for a brand into a marketing advantage over competition, no, we would never do that at TLG...
    <sarcasm mode off>

Well hey, they already want us to design the bigger B-models for them... :hmpf:

2 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

There was a time when I would have jumped at this chance, but that was when I was younger and my time meant nothing to me and the desire to be an "insider" would have made me do just about anything for them.  25 years later and I am still like a junky when new sets hit the shelves, but they only get my money these days, and my time is worth waaaaaay more to me since what I have left is dwindling down to about 15 to 20 years left on this planet. 

13 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Why don't they just collab with us hobby designers as any proper clone brand would do? I mean really. I can design models for quarter of the Danish salary and they don't even have to maintain an office for me. Just send some parts if I need them, I can deliver a 2000-piece model every 3 months. My portfolio is in my signature

Thanxby

Edited by Lipko

Well to be fair they are offering some Lego products in return for a 1-2 minute video so it might not be a bad deal to anyone interested. 

4 hours ago, allanp said:

Well to be fair they are offering some Lego products in return for a 1-2 minute video so it might not be a bad deal to anyone interested. 

My best guess is that it'd cost somewhere in the tens of thousands of euros to develop and make these videos in collaboration with contracted engineers/teachers. And a bunch of sets for 5-7 volunteers is a fraction of that cost :hmpf_bad: My university teachers get paid to do these "STEM" problems for students.

Edited by syclone

I love science and math..  I also know there are other AFOL who fits this bill... Technic Brick Power!! he is good on teaching math on his youtube videos!!  Stand up and don't be shy and reply!! 

Edited by sirslayer

Thanks @Jim I’ve submitted my details ... I think being a Chartered Engineer working at an Automotive Manufacturer qualifies me!

23 hours ago, Lipko said:

Why don't they just collab with us hobby designers as any proper clone brand would do? I mean really. I can design models for quarter of the Danish salary and they don't even have to maintain an office for me. Just send some parts if I need them, I can deliver a 2000-piece model every 3 months. My portfolio is in my signature

Thanxby

I know you meant this 100% serious and you´re not drunk, anyway I´m laughing out loud - good joke :pir-huzzah1:! And I would buy anything designed by Lipko design with my eyes closed :thumbup:. It´s just not gonna happen. 

However, I feel your fingers are itching - I can send you some interesting parts if you want, compatible and competitive :wink: .

Edited by brunojj1

6 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

However, I feel your fingers are itching

+1 :)

On 3/4/2021 at 10:50 AM, Maaboo35 said:

Next they’ll charge us 300 bucks for a box full of parts without any instructions for some so-called vehicle...  three cheers for TLG:hmpf:

7 hours ago, Woodstock pl said:

Next they’ll charge us 300 bucks for a box full of parts without any instructions for some so-called vehicle...  three cheers for TLG:hmpf:

Some of the original Technic sets were a collection of parts and these were great additions to supplement a model.