SteamSewnEmpire

[moc] Pittsburgh & Lake Erie 2-8-4

This is one of those situations where nobody seems to know exactly what color these things actually were, other than some loose notion of "greenish." My suspicion is that in actual service, seeing as they were hauling about 90% coal in revenue service, they were probably effectively black, and were I to build this one, I would definitely lean that way.

Also, the drivers are too small because they are stand-ins for LL-sized customs... so they'd be just *slightly* bigger on the real deal (these engines, like those run by the Boston and Albany [which they were almost functionally identical to] had only 63" drivers, as opposed, say, a Pere Marquette Van Sweringen model with 69" wheels). It's not a big difference, but I tend to design my locomotives from the wheels-up, so they determine my scaling (and I'm anal about this sort of stuff, too :P).

As far as the actual locomotive is concerned, I just find something appealing about the look of these beasts - they're almost simplistic at first glance; as if the designers were chasing a kind of semi-streamlined look. Obviously, the thing wouldn't have won any beauty contests, but I often feel like the most interesting engines are kind of on the ugly or ungainly side.

GGPWBL5.jpeg

JDJ4tJE.jpeg

BAyrvzx.jpeg

2taG3bC.png

kyqAveU.jpeg

PzK7EgH.png

5kyCtzE.png

VBBzql1.png

RELW6p8.png

RTQ2wHF.png

iVhKuIK.png

0gqjb1F.png

cTagipY.png

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

Nice builds :)

Does Studio 2 have custom train wheel options?

Is Studio 2 new? If so, is it any more user-friendly (in terms of part grouping) than the original?

In answer to your question, I know that 'a' studio had custom wheels, so I would assume any new version to have them. All my locos are done in LDD, however.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

I have not migrated to Studio 2, so I have no clue.

You could see what happens if you open a backup of your work in Studio 2?

I do hope someday to have the skills and confidence, to try out locomotive building.

Your builds I have seen so far, have been good!

I'd be very interested in more details on the tender trucks-----the pics of the real thing show that loco with 3-axle Buckeye trucks, which are exactly like the Daylights had under their tenders----I've been trying to figure out a decently accurate set of trucks for a Daylight for a while now.  

44 minutes ago, steele said:

I'd be very interested in more details on the tender trucks-----the pics of the real thing show that loco with 3-axle Buckeye trucks, which are exactly like the Daylights had under their tenders----I've been trying to figure out a decently accurate set of trucks for a Daylight for a while now.  

I did triple bucks underneath my big loco's tender as well. 

J1 Tender Truck Detail

Took me awhile to figure this out in a way that allows me to use the bearing wheelsets, but I think it's passable.

3 hours ago, steele said:

I just threw something together - I don't think it looks much like the original, to be honest:

cBRg8ds.png

The problem with those particular trucks is that they have that really visually distinct "two parts" look to them, and I just have no idea how to replicate that in Lego without making them like 9 width.

PbUJskv.png

Honestly, were I to build the thing for real, I'd probably give this element another crack and try something different.

4 hours ago, steele said:

Here, this is a better solution. It requires a 1x1 bracket piece that I don't have in LDD, but does exist. Otherwise, it's sound.

BXsgvuU.png

The two-layer effect is exactly:

A. Why they're so distinctive. 

B.  So hard to get the look!

SteamSewnEmpire--any chance of an "incomplete" view to show how the "core" is built?

Gonna try to replicate that this weekend!  (don't think I have any black binoculars though)

Edited by steele

1 hour ago, steele said:

The two-layer effect is exactly:

A. Why they're so distinctive. 

B.  So hard to get the look!

SteamSewnEmpire--any chance of an "incomplete" view to show how the "core" is built?

Gonna try to replicate that this weekend!  (don't think I have any black binoculars though)

Of the truck? I'll just send you a link to the lxf.

What an amazing beast, excelent job, the dome revision made it step up a notch m8