Jundis

[MOC] Old Little Tractor Lanz Bulldog

Hi guys,

I'd like to present you another little MOC, this time of a Lanz Bulldog tractor the 50s. This thing immediatly came into my mind when I got my hands on the new Jeep tires. In reality, this tractor has a horizontally mounted 1 cylinder, two-stroke engine with a displacement of 10 litres and is purely for pulling heavy farming machinery or trailers. Only functions are steering, fake engine and a pendular front axle. It actually was a really fun and challeging task to put this into the tiny space available. I am still waiting for a Rubber band to finally connect the fly wheel to the upper roller... :-)

Kind regards,

Jundis

Vorder.jpg

R-ckansicht.jpg

Unten.jpg

Edited by Jundis

Very nice and cute little tractor, I like that you managed to fit a differential and fake engine in there, in addition to the steering.

Very nice build. The amount of functions you were able to fit in is really good for this scale, and it looks fantastic as well.

Can you share any details on how the build process went? Did you start with the functions, or the looks, or a mix?

Thanks very much, guys! I :-)

1 hour ago, johncarpenter said:

Can you share any details on how the build process went? Did you start with the functions, or the looks, or a mix?

I mostly start with a mix of looks and function, but mostly form follows function. Sometimes (in this case the tires) inspired a built, sometimes it's a mechanism. After settling on the built and dimensions (in 90% of the cases given by the selected tires), I always start with the front and back axle, which were actually no-brainers this time. The functions were clear to me, there were however 2 difficulties:

- axle and steering both went very close next to each other, and in such a space were hard to come by, I tinkered around with worm gears but the steering was just too slow and no fun to play with
- same time, the sturdiness of the built was lacking as the hood was hard to connect with the main frame in an easy and elegant way.

Here is a pic of the built from one month ago, I dropped the system parts completely beacuse I could not find a nice and sturdy connections to the front axle:

Detail.png

Very cool build! Looking at something that compact and cleverly implemented gives me joy! It's been proven many times that you don't need to go to 1:8 to have something awesome. Kudos for building small!

I unfortunately have no reference, but the fact that you managed to fit that many features in it is quite impressive.

Edited by chlego
typo

Very nice tractor! The functions are amazing for the scale.

Thanks a lot guys, I really did not expect to have that that much praise for such a tiny built :-)

3 hours ago, johnnym said:

Beautiful! Will there also be Deutz's and Fendt's? :sweet:

Hmm maybe in the future, if there is again something very inspiring about these ;-)

Great little build and, like others, I'm impressed with the features added.

Thanks for sending me down the Wikipedia wormhole as I couldn't believe there was a tractor with a 10 L single cylinder engine. Now I have a better understanding as to why.

Again, great build.

10 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Great little build and, like others, I'm impressed with the features added.

Thanks for sending me down the Wikipedia wormhole as I couldn't believe there was a tractor with a 10 L single cylinder engine. Now I have a better understanding as to why.

Again, great build.

My pleasure :-)

There are also a neat feature about this engine:

11 hours ago, skaah said:

How about using the green 4L axles from the 8479 set?

I did not know they were rather cheap for such an unusual color, I will definitely order two, thanks for mentioning! :-)

Very kind of you to make and share the instructions!  It is a fun little build.