brickostan

[MOC] 2 meter long Lego Technic Bridge

Hi.

I just want to show my bridge made up of only Lego Technic parts.

Over 1400 liftarms/beams and way over 3500 pins

Technic Lego all the way, not a single stud anywhere on the bridge.

Even though there’s no studs on the bridge, it’s still 254 studs long – that’s 2032 mm (over 6½ feet).

The total weight of the bridge is over 4 kg (9 lbs).

If the weight is distributed evenly the bridge can support over 5½ kg (12 lbs).

154466922-471138110583780-45143503817790

154854095-2805194346413905-1882363248252

155904570-719407902058589-24580072956787

I see, you are not a fan of stickers or prints for road surface marking :D

Wow, that's a lot of liftarms and pins used, very impressive - did you already have the parts or did you order them? And it looks pretty good and makes a nice display for any sorts of verhicles. And it only slightly sags. Is there a chance to pretension it in some way as to avoid that sagging?

Very nice Video, and I had to smile as well!

I first thought it looked and a bit bland tbh, but placed in your city it actually fits quite nice. 

Why is it a one-way street tho?

Galloping Gurtie lives again, lol, I know not the same kind of bridge but that's what I instantly thought of.

I think it works well for your use, a place to display more vehicles for your LEGO city. Also looks pretty good and fits in, however I can't help but ponder ways to beef it up.

That's a lot of bridge thanks for showing it.

Nice bridge.

Have You considered other options for bridge deck (or what is its name). F.i. studded liftarms, then cover them with some plates, or mostly panels (5x11), and then use liftarms just inbetween them for rigidity?

10 hours ago, Jundis said:

I see, you are not a fan of stickers or prints for road surface marking :D

At least not in this case 😁

The bridge is only made of pieces in two Bricklink categories: "Technic, Liftarm" & "Technic, Pin"

9 hours ago, johnnym said:

Wow, that's a lot of liftarms and pins used, very impressive - did you already have the parts or did you order them? And it looks pretty good and makes a nice display for any sorts of verhicles. And it only slightly sags. Is there a chance to pretension it in some way as to avoid that sagging?

No, I bought it all. It summed up to around 240 EUR on a handful different Bricklink orders

Yeah, it sags a little. But not too much. I can live it.

I have thought of adding some extra pillars in the middle if I'm going add a lot of weight to the bridge. But it shouldn't be necessary if I only add 2-3 kg of vehicles.

9 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Very nice Video, and I had to smile as well!

I first thought it looked and a bit bland tbh, but placed in your city it actually fits quite nice. 

Why is it a one-way street tho?

Yeah, it's not a very interesting build - quite monotone - but long.

I'm not a Lego Technic guy, but I just thought I'll post it in here anyway.

I had room for three road lanes (each around 7 studs wide) and I thought about different combinations - but ended up making dotted lines between all three roads (here in Denmark you would normally only see a tree road lanes all separated by white dotted lines on a motorway/freeway)

9 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Nice! Fits very well with the city.

Thanks 😁

9 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

It is a beautiful and useful MOC it is a pleasure just to watch it.

Thanks 😆

4 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Galloping Gurtie lives again, lol, I know not the same kind of bridge but that's what I instantly thought of.

I think it works well for your use, a place to display more vehicles for your LEGO city. Also looks pretty good and fits in, however I can't help but ponder ways to beef it up.

That's a lot of bridge thanks for showing it.

Ha ha ha. Yeah, it's dangerous to live in my Lego city 😅

And yeah, it could be beefed up a little

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

Nice bridge.

Have You considered other options for bridge deck (or what is its name). F.i. studded liftarms, then cover them with some plates, or mostly panels (5x11), and then use liftarms just inbetween them for rigidity?

Thanks.

I thought about using the new road plates instead, but ended up discarding the idea - if I had to used those the bridge would either be narrower - or too wide to fit in my city.

But in the end I settled on trying to make a bridge with only liftarms and pins - some parts that I normally don't use that much in my Lego city - kind of a challenge for my self 😅

I also think the bridge would be way more expensive with other parts - the grey liftarms wasn't that expensive (most of the dark bluish grey liftarms are 11 long - it was the most economical combination)

I would have said another useless but still cool project (yes, I love these), but since you actually put it in your city it's even cooler! We hardly see any bridges, but this is extremely cool.

I love the simplicity of the construction (only liftarms and pins) but I can't help to think about more complex setups. Haven't really seen much of those built from Technic, so I'd be curious to see for example suspension bridges or cable-stayed bridges.

17 hours ago, chlego said:

I would have said another useless but still cool project (yes, I love these), but since you actually put it in your city it's even cooler! We hardly see any bridges, but this is extremely cool.

Thanks. Yeah, it is pretty static (no moving parts) compared to much of the stuff found in this part of the forum.

3 hours ago, howitzer said:

I love the simplicity of the construction (only liftarms and pins) but I can't help to think about more complex setups. Haven't really seen much of those built from Technic, so I'd be curious to see for example suspension bridges or cable-stayed bridges.

Thanks. And yes, it's hard to make the construction much simpler than this. It's basically just a bunch of triangles to distribute the weight. For a short while I did think about making some kind of suspension bridge, but discarded the idea and made this simple truss bridge instead.