MaxBrix

Mechanical Spider Climbs UP 13 CM Step, Down 24 cm

This Lego spider has an articulated chassis so it can change it's posture and stabilize it's self. When I started I forgot I was sort of building a climbing truck. I started with the weight in the back. The front had no traction and the back wouldn't lift up. I did get it to work both ways but heavy side front for going up and heavy side back going down was best. The little helper legs on the sides were really tricky to get right. In the video you can see some different adjustments to it and working both directions. The helper legs had to replace the back legs when the back legs are in the air and not get caught on obstacles while climbing. The other challenges are the leg stride angle to changing in relation to the ground In the end this allowed for an efficient walking stride and a good alternate climbing stride with more lift depending on the position of the chassis. Next time - Higher.

Looks freaky and cool! Is it remote-controlled per-leg, or did you program it somehow to make it easier? I.e. do you have to move the legs one by one?

1 hour ago, teetertater said:

Looks freaky and cool! Is it remote-controlled per-leg, or did you program it somehow to make it easier? I.e. do you have to move the legs one by one?

It is Tank steering. All of the legs on one side are linked together. The timing of the legs on a side can be done a few ways that work but there is also many that don't so the legs of a side have to stay in sync. The leg lifting motors are independent. Everything is operated by 4 channels. One motor to drive the left legs, one for the right and a motor to lift each leg. The controller is SBrick. I have it set up with a forward fast button, both sides forward 90%, slow at 60%. Turn forward one side 80% other %40. Full turn One side 80% other -80%. And reverse 2 speeds. It could be operated from any 4 channel controller. Just like a tank + 2 channels for the lifting the legs. I can't seem to be able to upload photos.

On 3/2/2021 at 7:27 AM, MaxBrix said:

I can't seem to be able to upload photos.

Upload to some hosting site (e.g. bricksafe.com) and use the links from there.

I sooo freakin' love it!

It somewhat reminds me of this MOC, but on a much higher level of motricity.

Kudos for the devilish idea! :pir-laugh:

Amazing build, i dont why i like so much these spider robots. Are you planning to make instructions?