Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

Oldis considers his reply

Oldis gathered an eclectic group of advisors in his makeshift headquarters in Pamu. Emissaries from Eslandola and Prio, as well as members of the Terraversan noble council, huddled around a table to discuss the situation.

full_low-796x448.jpg

“I don’t trust the Oleanders,” declared Oldis. “They have us on the run. Why offer to stop now?”

“They have Kingsport, sir, but can they hold it?” replied Count Navarro. “They dominate the surrounding waters, but our Eslandian friends have reinforced us admirably.”

“The count makes a good point, your highness,” added General Rizzo. “If they attack us here, they risk losing Kingsport to an attack from elsewhere.”

“Yes, your eminence,” interjected Eslandian Admiral de Flynt. “Lady Condora here assures me that we have more fleets prepared to transport hundreds of troops for an assault.”

“Hmmm.” Oldis rubbed his chin. “All the more reason for us to counterstrike now.”

“But we need to at least engage them in talks, don’t we?” asked Navarro.

“Yes, but we shouldn’t delay our preparations. We must assume the talks are a ploy on their part, not sincere.” Everyone nodded in agreement.

Prio’s Commodore de Pernica shuffled his feet and cleared his throat. “Sir, if I may be so bold, it would also help to present Oleon with our strongest possible defense in these talks. And to this point I have not heard one word of your forces in Westface and assistance from Corrington.

“He has a point, sir,” added Navarro. “L’Olius holds Westface, and Corrington is said to be bringing in troops there.”

“Ach! Don’t talk to me of L’Olius!” barked Oldis. “He cowers in Westface while Kingsport falls! He’s probably working out a secret deal to replace me!” Oldis waved his arms madly. “L’Olius fancies himself the hero of our war of independence from Mardier for his naval exploits, but I commanded our troops in the decisive land battles! He seeks to tear me down!”

Everyone gave Oldis a little room before Lady Condora spoke. “My dear friend, you will give yourself a fit of apoplexy. You are the Archduke, and everyone knows this. Calm yourself.”

General Rizzo ventured to speak. “We need to show a united front. Even if L’Olius has his eyes on your throne, he is still a Terraversan. We must reach out to coordinate with him.”

“Reach out? I’d lose my hand!”

“Surely not!” remarked Lady Condora.

“Sir, if I may be so bold,” said Admiral de Flynt, “we can use the animosity between you and L’Olius to our advantage. Oleon knows of your enmity; they are likely counting on it. Show up at the peace conference with L’Olius at your side, and you turn upside-down their expectations.”

esl-735x446.jpg

Oldis’s eyes smoldered, but he did not say anything.

“Oleon knows they cannot beat the combined forces of Terraversa, Eslandola, and Corrington,” added Count Navarro.

"And Prio," added de Pernica.

“This is the best play," continued Navarro. "Show them that they have misjudged you, miscalculated everything.”

“Yes, yes,” Oldis said softly. Then his voice growing stronger, “I will show them. But L’Olius must know his place. He must be there at my side, but simply as my admiral, my council. He is not an equal. He cannot have a seat as my equal.”

“Sir, with your blessing, I will send a messenger to find L’Olius and summon him,” said the general.

“You have it,” replied Oldis, “but make sure he understands his place!”

And so a courier was dispatched to Westface in advance of the conference with Oleon.

(I'm assuming it's ok to comment here, as the discussion is taking place in the main peace thread!)

Nice looking build, and I really like the tilework. Your writing is definitely on par though here, and I love the back and forth between the characters!

4 hours ago, Mesabi said:

I'm assuming it's ok to comment here, as the discussion is taking place in the main peace thread!

That's exactly why the post is repeated here. :thumbup:

4 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Nice looking build, and I really like the tilework. Your writing is definitely on par though here, and I love the back and forth between the characters!

Thanks. The build is pretty much just a simple throw-it-together-quick-to-advance-the-story type of build, but I really wanted to give it some character befitting Oldis. I had to scramble to create the floor, because I only have 7 of those medium blue 1x2 tiles!

I would have had this out a day earlier if I could have found the time to write the dialog. I'm glad you find it worth the effort. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

I had to scramble to create the floor, because I only have 7 of those medium blue 1x2 tiles!

Nice work! The table shadow masks that well