Hello

I guess as my first ever post on this forum, not 100% sure this is the right spot for this kind of post, but I should introduce myself, I am a 34 year old from Australia, who has always had a passion for Lego but could never really afford it when I was a kid. But now having a 3 and 4 year old boy of my own who are completely obsessed with Lego, i have recently rediscovered my love of this simple toy. 

I have gone from building mostly sets, to creating my own designs. My aim is to make every design I do as something that my boys would love to play with so playability to me is everything. 

Anyway that's enough of that, I am wanting to show off one of my first designs, I really enjoy a challenge and I definitely had one with this project.

I am a Sci-fi nerd and love Star Trek, in particular everything Klingon so I was very disappointed that Lego never got the star trek licence. 

I am currently working on building this Bird of Prey, at this stage I have only made the cockpit and neck, but have the parts for the wing and disruptor ordered. I am really looking forward to seeing how this Stud.io design that I have spent so many hours on turn into a real product. 

My main concerns for the build is how strong the wing hinge attachment is as there is quite a lot of weight on them. But I will find out in the next week or so when all my parts arrive and I can trial it.

Hope you all find it interesting, I believe it turned out pretty good, with a few play features included, such as the dining hall, opening cockpit, adjustable wings and shooting disruptors. 

Model Details (according to Stud.io)

4335 pieces

74cm wide, 68cm long. 

4.3kg 

I wanted to add more pics but it seems I can only upload 1 due to the size. See if I can work around this. 

Also if you are interested, I currently have a Lego Ideas set in the support stage. Its a minifigure scale SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket, again showing my love for all things space related. any support will be greatly appreciated.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2a60e3c2-c86f-4154-8be3-6fb148943362/statistics

I am very interested to hear what you all have to say about my Bird of Prey, any issues you see or possible problems I will have turning this into a real model.

Thank you very much for reading this. :) 

BOP Complete_After Update.jpg

Any ideas on how to post more pictures? I am not that tech savy.

Thanks 

Ok I made a Flickr account to show some of the other photos. I have also ordered custom Klingon minifigures and Batleths to hang in the dining hall. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/192336319@N06/

Welcome to EB, im_hungry!  I'm a scifi and Star Trek fan myself, and this Bird of Prey looks awesome!  The color scheme with the dark red accents is nice... and a lot easier to do in Lego than all the variations of green or browns that we usually see them in.  Choosing the command deck and mess hall as the main play areas to feature makes sense.  Are you sure you don't want to build in a tank for holding whales?  :wink:

As for sharing pictures, the paperclip/upload option on Eurobricks that you're talking about is only for very small images to be used in your signature line here on the board and that sort of stuff.  You only get 100K total, so even 1 regular image pushed you to the limit of available space.  For sharing photos of MOCs, etc., you'll want to use a 3rd party service and since you're already using Flickr, here's a tutorial on linking/embedding Flickr images in your posts: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/97921-flickr-tutorial/

Looking forward to seeing how this comes together in real bricks!  Happy building.  :classic:

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I tried to do it in green at first but the lack of parts made it very hard. So I decided with the dark red and black. 

I was planning on doing a cargo bay in the back or an engineering bay, but I had to use the space to reinforce the structure between the wings. 

Wow. Man.

This is really impressive. Thank you for sharing. I am not the "LEGO Ideas Fan" - for some reasons all discussed here.

What I really like though: Not a NCC XYZ ship - aka the good folks - but a really nice and detailed and to the point ship of the - well - good folks, when you are looking from the other side.

You really captured the nature of that perspective. I love this ship.

And - bit late - but: Welcome on EB, @im__hungry!

All the best
Thorsten

On 2/28/2021 at 10:16 PM, im__hungry said:

Hello

i have recently rediscovered my love of this simple toy. 

Uh, You sure learned a lot while you were away from Lego all those years! This is brilliant!!!!! Please don't stop. Your children really don't appreciate how great Daddy is! Put this on Lego ideas too, really! 

Edited by 1963maniac

Thanks for the comments, I will update the post as I go, still waiting on the pieces for the wing/disruptor to arrive. 

Unfortunately, I cant submit this as a Lego idea, Kreo own the rights to Star Trek so Lego cant release anything Star trek related. Its a shame as Kreo haven't made any decent sets and by the looks aren't making anymore. 

Thank you everyone for the comments.

I have now completed the wing and cockpit in real Lego form. It all went together as designed and my instructions seemed to work well. My klingon minifigure also arrived so I have included him in the photos. 

51051674621_2ef1cff166_o.jpg20210319_203825 by Im__Hungry, on Flickr

51051674721_c52b582fe0_o.jpg20210319_203806 by Im__Hungry, on Flickr

51051759007_5d542f868b_o.jpg20210319_204135 by Im__Hungry, on Flickr

51050948168_a82bdf3d18_o.jpg20210319_203900 by Im__Hungry, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing, its going to be a while until I order the next pieces as the final cost of this design is higher than I originally anticipated , but I am determined to finish it.

The wing to my surprise held in its various different positions so have confidence that the body will hold under the weight of the wings pulling on it from either side but we will see. 

Hope you guys enjoy, I will try and post more progressive photos of the next sections so you get a better idea of the design.

Once I complete the build myself, I am more than happy to share my instructions with anyone if they are interested. :) 

Oh, I can't believe I've missed that! :wub:  Looking at the bridge I already hear the warrior anthem. The front wings up picture looks so epic! Glad that the wings hold in place like they are supposed to. Good to see more Star Trek builders also. Where did you get the klingon minifig?

QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj! "May your coordinates be free of tribbles!"

Hello, I'm speechless .... a dream comes true .... Would be very interested in instructions!

PS there are also very good alternative stones that are equally good in quality :-)

On 2/28/2021 at 10:16 PM, im__hungry said:

Hello

I guess as my first ever post on this forum, not 100% sure this is the right spot for this kind of post, but I should introduce myself, I am a 34 year old from Australia, who has always had a passion for Lego but could never really afford it when I was a kid. But now having a 3 and 4 year old boy of my own who are completely obsessed with Lego, i have recently rediscovered my love of this simple toy. 

I have gone from building mostly sets, to creating my own designs. My aim is to make every design I do as something that my boys would love to play with so playability to me is everything. 

Anyway that's enough of that, I am wanting to show off one of my first designs, I really enjoy a challenge and I definitely had one with this project.

I am a Sci-fi nerd and love Star Trek, in particular everything Klingon so I was very disappointed that Lego never got the star trek licence. 

I am currently working on building this Bird of Prey, at this stage I have only made the cockpit and neck, but have the parts for the wing and disruptor ordered. I am really looking forward to seeing how this Stud.io design that I have spent so many hours on turn into a real product. 

My main concerns for the build is how strong the wing hinge attachment is as there is quite a lot of weight on them. But I will find out in the next week or so when all my parts arrive and I can trial it.

Hope you all find it interesting, I believe it turned out pretty good, with a few play features included, such as the dining hall, opening cockpit, adjustable wings and shooting disruptors. 

Model Details (according to Stud.io)

4335 pieces

74cm wide, 68cm long. 

4.3kg 

I wanted to add more pics but it seems I can only upload 1 due to the size. See if I can work around this. 

Also if you are interested, I currently have a Lego Ideas set in the support stage. Its a minifigure scale SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket, again showing my love for all things space related. any support will be greatly appreciated.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2a60e3c2-c86f-4154-8be3-6fb148943362/statistics

I am very interested to hear what you all have to say about my Bird of Prey, any issues you see or possible problems I will have turning this into a real model.

Thank you very much for reading this. :) 

Any ideas on how to post more pictures? I am not that tech savy.

Thanks 

Ok I made a Flickr account to show some of the other photos. I have also ordered custom Klingon minifigures and Batleths to hang in the dining hall. 

This is awesome! great job!

keep building!

Absolute amazing build!!!! Very nice! I like the dark black style :-)

if you google "Kevin J. Walter bird of prey" you can see a also great grren version :-)

thx for showing us your MOC!

live long and prosper! Olli