Sign in to follow this  
CapOnBOBS

[OL-FB] HRS Helios

One of two ships originally designed to be an armed merchant men for the RNTC back when this limited skirmish on the island of Terraversa was well contained. The dramatic changes in the diplomatic mood of the Brick Seas caused the navy to step in and repurpose the ship mid-construction. 

HRS_Helios_2

The HRS Helios is now a full man-of-war. 

HRS_Helios_2_8

A total of 48 heavy guns, each broadside hold 24. Down below we can see two full decks of guns, followed by a third full deck for cargo, packed and ready. 

HRS_Helios_2_7

Her hull is large, long and wide, designed to hold both large cargos and while still maintaining a full gun deck to ward off Sea Rats.

HRS_Helios_2_6

The ship remains equipped with cranes and extra cargo hatches for easy loading and unloading. Also, plenty of cloth to move the large ship.

HRS_Helios_2_2

Though, had the word arrived at the Beauchamp Shipyard earlier, the Navy never would have paid for such a large and ornate stern section when they could have saved a penny and added a few more guns. 

HRS_Helios_2_3

Captain Gillette is an old pious disciplinarian. There is no cursing aboard his ship, he is never far from his family monk, who accompanies him into battle, and he begins each day with a prayer during the change in watch. He runs a tight ship, but the crew jokes that if any commander ever had the gods on his side, it is Captain Gillette. 

HRS_Helios_11

The thrifty Captain has more than a bit of embarrassment at the ornate design of his ship. Though at least the stern cannons add a practical element. 

HRS_Helios_8

And the pious Captain takes pride in daily recreating the God, Helios' journey across the Brick Seas and over the horizon. 

HRS_Helios_15

(Another shot, better for the bow piece but (like the rigging) the hoses didn't get rendered in this bottom on) 

HRS_Helios_2_4

Edit: coming soon hidden content to side by side the Helios and Phoebe (the sun and the moon) which are a pair of similar ships deliberately built to go together, but are not "sisterships."

Edited by CapOnBOBS

And a third massive Ship! You're on fire today Cap, and I really like how you managed to make all three of your LDD ships distinct. Each one is quite detailed, and decently different then each other, which isn't always easy to do I've noticed. You've nailed all the curves quite well, and again, the sails are done quite creatively. Great job!

In other news, I think I'm going to have to invest in a few forts!

Looks amazing! My favourite part is the section picture showing different decks of the ship, and the stern is just gorgeous.

Since it's an impressive ship I'd really like to see you build one in real bricks now !

Such an amazing Man of War would be awesome for real!

Halas there are few huge vessels made in real bricks. We need more!

Gorgeous ship @CapOnBOBS!

Was it hard to get the three differently colored official bow pieces to align in the front? I've played with that with real bricks and it looks different from what you've designed here. Are they secured?