Henry Bricklider

Black Falcon Outpost (WIP)

After building 21325 I had a newfound surge of inspiration to begin a new Castle MOC. I started this a few weeks ago and I'm glad to say I have made significant progress on it. Here we have the Black Falcon outpost. It's a simple building for soldiers to lodge in. Ideally, there will be a larger landscape surrounding the building.

50990534751_5f9f59f053_c.jpg.726ca46fef033f39dbb0cf67e88dfb09.jpg

Just now, Pdaitabird said:

Looks like a nice build so far! I like the trees and rockwork. (And look at you, flexing on us with two goats!)

Thanks! Haha, yeah I'm very fortunate to own those goats.

You've made a very impressive start there! I'm looking forward to seeing where you develop this - though at the moment it looks like a very good representation of a Black Falcon outpost immediately after a run-in with a cannonball or six!

2 hours ago, deraven said:

Looking good!  Doing an interior as well, or just exterior and landscaping?

My intention was just exterior and landscaping. The inside of both the ground and second floors are kind of messy, as there are a lot of headlight bricks that don't gel in terms of color. I may do an interior for the second floor as that isn't as bad in terms of out of place colored bricks.

Really nice so far, especially the window shutters caught my attention. :classic: I won't comment on the goats... :laugh_hard:

Can't wait to see how you'll handle the roof!
And did the Blacksmith's Lady Knight wandered off somewhere? ;)

1 hour ago, GeoBrick said:

Can't wait to see how you'll handle the roof!
And did the Blacksmith's Lady Knight wandered off somewhere? ;)

I have no idea what I'm going to do for the roof yet... I'm quite fond of the way the Medieval Blacksmith does the roof. 

The Lady Knight joined my "Dragon Knights" village military.

8 hours ago, Sarophas said:

Really nice so far, especially the window shutters caught my attention. :classic: I won't comment on the goats... :laugh_hard:

Thanks! Maybe I shouldn't have posted the goats, my intention wasn't really to flex them.

29 minutes ago, SerenityInFire said:

Any chance we'll get to see that Dragon Knights village?

I don't know, maybe. I might build some sort of square for them at some point, that idea has come to mind before.

I'll comment on the goats, they are very cute and seem very fitting! Oh, and they also make me very jealous! ;)

As for the building, I think you've found a nice balance for the texture on the ground floor. I might have to go and add some colour to break up the grey of my own similar WIP build. I also didn't think that black panels would work so well against the white walls on the second floor but I quite like it.

Nice start.  The texturing looks good and nice color choices.  

17 hours ago, Frike said:

I'll comment on the goats, they are very cute and seem very fitting! Oh, and they also make me very jealous! ;)

As for the building, I think you've found a nice balance for the texture on the ground floor. I might have to go and add some colour to break up the grey of my own similar WIP build. I also didn't think that black panels would work so well against the white walls on the second floor but I quite like it.

I thought the goats were rather fitting, too. Hopefully there will be a new and even better goat piece released later down the line.

Texturing the ground floor was tough. I had a go at a previous castle build where I stacked 1x1 studs in light bluish grey, dark bluish grey, and brown on top of each other in a rather random order. While I sort of liked the texture there, it was way too parts intensive and didn't look great used in excess. With the ground floor here I had no real plan for the texture and simply stacked bricks and would check to see if it looked good the chimney (which isn't visible in this image) is the weakest element of the ground floor as I think it is too smooth and grey.

I'm glad you like the black panels! I initially wanted to make the walls yellow with black panels (like the wall piece in 6074) but it did not gel well at all. I think the white and black looks a bit better than reddish brown and white.

Looks good so far! I like the dark blue shutters on the lower window.  The stonework looks worn but sturdy.  I cannot wait to see the end result!

Interesting, somehow, black looks better than reddish brown for such build. Good job on the house. (Hopefully we'll see more updated Black Falcon soldiers in the future, rather than just 4 of them.)

Black always looks better. Reddish brown makes look like a chocolate house, I hate it

Nice MOC but i wouldn't call it an outpost. Looks like a typical village building

9 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Interesting, somehow, black looks better than reddish brown for such build. Good job on the house. (Hopefully we'll see more updated Black Falcon soldiers in the future, rather than just 4 of them.)

Thanks! I agree. As much as I like the Ideas Medieval Blacksmith, the reddish brown doesn't look the best.

I hope we'll see more "ranks" in the Black Falcon army.

4 minutes ago, 1974 said:

Black always looks better. Reddish brown makes look like a chocolate house, I hate it

Nice MOC but i wouldn't call it an outpost. Looks like a typical village building

That's fair. I can guess it can just be "The Black Falcon House" :laugh:

Just now, 1974 said:

It's also very unrealistic

Reddish brown is a strange LEGO color because I don't think it looks great as wood (brown trees look kind off, too).

It looks like a common peasant house in Lion Knight country that was raided by the Black Falcons and then used as an outpost .. I could easily see those fellas shootin' dice and drinking beer in that place while looking out for the Lion Knights return :thumbup:

Just needs a few dead peasants lying on the ground Uncle Owen/Aunt Beru style :sick:

Yeah, I dislike reddish brown. Looks very cheap and plasticy. Nothing like wood. Black looks better for trees imho

The Wizard's Cottage

Hello everyone!

I'm nearly finished with what was initially a Black Falcon Outpost. But, after some discussion here, it's certainly more of a cottage or standard village building, so I am excited to show you The Wizard's Cottage!

The Wizard's CottageThe Wizard's CottageThe Wizard's Cottage