Flak Maniak

Are there many notable custom sailmakers one can commission?

Is this even the right forum to ask in? I figure it's the most nautical one, so perhaps; feel free to move this thread to a different subforum if it's in the wrong place...

I'm working on a ship now that could use some custom-made sails, and I was wondering if there's some usual suspects to commission for sails made in a very Lego-ish style. I'm not sure if what I'm looking for is even particularly viable to make, given it'd be a black sail base, but maybe it's feasible. What I'm imagining might be a single sail, or it might be several, with most of the area being black... Except for the Aquasharks logo in the middle. Basically, if Lego had done a black sail with the Aquasharks logo, what would that look like, and who can make such a thing?

I'm not super-concerned about price; for a build like this, that will be so distinctive on my shelf, I figure I have to be willing to spend some serious cash on key custom parts. But I am really concerned about quality and style; that it should look right, fit in with the Lego aesthetic, that sort of thing. The opposite of the "realistic custom sails to make it more like a historical ship" kind of aesthetic.

Edited by Flak Maniak

7 hours ago, Flak Maniak said:

Is this even the right forum to ask in? I figure it's the most nautical one, so perhaps; feel free to move this thread to a different subforum if it's in the wrong place...

Yes, indeed it is! Do you have photos of your ship?

While I can't recommend anyone specifically, this topic on Custom flags/Custom Sails may provide you with some leads.

I haven't photographed it yet; I was hoping to show it off only when it was done (and I wasn't sure it would have sails at all), but yeah, probably I ought to show some work-in-progress pictures, if only so that any prospective sailmakers can get a sense of scale... Well, I'll show its current state soon enough...

I experiment with paper templates until the shape works then I use paper backed fabric sheets that fit in a normal printer. As long as your sails are smaller than the normal 8x11 ish sheet it works great. By the time you figure out what shape/size will look the best you've already done the majority of the work.

SD

I think you probably need an inkjet for fabric but I'm not sure. It might be worth it to try, I don't have a color laserjet.

SD

Hey!

I could do that, im doing all kind of custom things for lego, like capes, sails, acrylic things and more! 

How can I show you some of my work? Can you give me your mail by any chance?

Hope we will work that out!

Kind Regards

On 4/18/2021 at 12:41 PM, Mister Phes said:

We may have found someone...

Yeah, just let me know how i can get into contact with you guys and i will show you everything ive done :)

8 minutes ago, timbeg said:

i will show you everything ive done :)

You can show us examples by posting in this topic...

1 minute ago, Mister Phes said:

You can show us examples by posting in this topic...

Yes I think we'd all love to see examples in the thread

https://s16.directupload.net/images/210419/nn2qe3wn.jpg

https://s16.directupload.net/images/210419/jp8zgwal.jpg

https://s20.directupload.net/images/210419/lbrq9v8i.jpg

https://s8.directupload.net/images/210419/u9j9rpi4.jpg

https://s8.directupload.net/images/210419/dgxaimyd.jpg

https://s8.directupload.net/images/210419/xslsievp.jpg

These are some of my latest works, I can literally do anything :) 

I couldnt upload them here cause the max size is 0.1MB

Im also doing:

Acryl (Stands, Plaquettes)

All kind of stickers (Pre Cut on Sticker Vinyl)

Capes, Flags :)

Let me know if you are interested in some :)

Here is also another one: https://ibb.co/M5q6mY0

On 4/20/2021 at 7:29 AM, timbeg said:

I couldnt upload them here cause the max size is 0.1MB

Since you're a new member you have limited upload capacity.

I'll give it a try:

jp8zgwal.jpg

nn2qe3wn.jpg

lbrq9v8i.jpg

xslsievp.jpg

@timbeg -

How much would you charge to make a doublesided cloth flag with the Corrington design ( 

COR2

)?

Roughly the size of the Imperial Guard flag from recent Imperial Flagship?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, evancelt said:

@timbeg -

How much would you charge to make a doublesided cloth flag with the Corrington design ( 

COR2

)?

Roughly the size of the Imperial Guard flag from recent Imperial Flagship?

Thanks!

About 5-10€ I think, need the exact sizes to say that! :)

Perhaps not the most pirates-related, but related to sails and custom sails, the other day I was fiddling around making mockup Black Falcon sail concepts; here are the ones I made. Which one looks best to you?

BlackFalconSailPrototype2.png

BlackFalconSailPrototype3.png

BlackFalconSailPrototype4.png

11 hours ago, Flak Maniak said:

Perhaps not the most pirates-related, but related to sails and custom sails, the other day I was fiddling around making mockup Black Falcon sail concepts; here are the ones I made. Which one looks best to you?

BlackFalconSailPrototype3.png

BlackFalconSailPrototype4.png

Number 3.

Hoist the sails!
pir-triumph.png.a4df7e34bc94ef156295aa73ba5f350e.png.92366dbcf36ca98dd36620b243f1f670.png

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

Still messing around with these; not sure this color combo with the yellow outline works very well, but here it is:

BlackFalconSailPrototype5.png

Or, maybe a grey outline works better? It just feels like the Black Falcons logo SHOULD be in white-and-black, as is traditional, even if my white-and-yellow one might look best...

BlackFalconSailPrototype6.png

Edit: Three more. Still really unsure what's best here. I think I'm going way off the rails with this latest batch.

BlackFalconSailPrototype7.png

BlackFalconSailPrototype8.png

BlackFalconSailPrototype9.png

Edited by Flak Maniak

14 hours ago, Flak Maniak said:

I'd say this one is best. Its more crisp then the other two, and the colors in combination with the sail don't clash.

Edited by GeoBrick
removed excess text

On 5/8/2021 at 8:35 AM, Flak Maniak said:

Another slight modification:

BlackFalconSailPrototype10.png

So is this done in Microsoft Paint rather than vector editing software like Adobe Illustrator?

I did most of it in Aseprite. I took one of the minifigure photos from Brickset (little did I know it was a lower-res version of one on BrickLink!) and put the Black Falcon logo in the middle and drew the stripes by hand and flattened the colors of the logo and then touched it up slightly. Very low-tech; yes if you were preparing this for actual custom sailmaking you'd want to start with a very high-res image of the logo and, as you say, make some vector thing with it. But I'm not experienced in those vector art programs, and I was just making quick proof-of-concept mockups anyway.

I have received sails from Timbeg, an Aquashark sail and a set of Wolfpack sails. The cloth is INCREDIBLY nice. These sails will look excellent on whatever vessels I build for them. The rest of you who are looking for sails, well, I got what I was looking for. Go and hit him up!