Sign in to follow this  
Flak Maniak

Are there many notable custom sailmakers one can commission?

Is this even the right forum to ask in? I figure it's the most nautical one, so perhaps; feel free to move this thread to a different subforum if it's in the wrong place...

I'm working on a ship now that could use some custom-made sails, and I was wondering if there's some usual suspects to commission for sails made in a very Lego-ish style. I'm not sure if what I'm looking for is even particularly viable to make, given it'd be a black sail base, but maybe it's feasible. What I'm imagining might be a single sail, or it might be several, with most of the area being black... Except for the Aquasharks logo in the middle. Basically, if Lego had done a black sail with the Aquasharks logo, what would that look like, and who can make such a thing?

I'm not super-concerned about price; for a build like this, that will be so distinctive on my shelf, I figure I have to be willing to spend some serious cash on key custom parts. But I am really concerned about quality and style; that it should look right, fit in with the Lego aesthetic, that sort of thing. The opposite of the "realistic custom sails to make it more like a historical ship" kind of aesthetic.

Edited by Flak Maniak

7 hours ago, Flak Maniak said:

Is this even the right forum to ask in? I figure it's the most nautical one, so perhaps; feel free to move this thread to a different subforum if it's in the wrong place...

Yes, indeed it is! Do you have photos of your ship?

While I can't recommend anyone specifically, this topic on Custom flags/Custom Sails may provide you with some leads.

I haven't photographed it yet; I was hoping to show it off only when it was done (and I wasn't sure it would have sails at all), but yeah, probably I ought to show some work-in-progress pictures, if only so that any prospective sailmakers can get a sense of scale... Well, I'll show its current state soon enough...

I experiment with paper templates until the shape works then I use paper backed fabric sheets that fit in a normal printer. As long as your sails are smaller than the normal 8x11 ish sheet it works great. By the time you figure out what shape/size will look the best you've already done the majority of the work.

SD

I think you probably need an inkjet for fabric but I'm not sure. It might be worth it to try, I don't have a color laserjet.

SD

Hey!

I could do that, im doing all kind of custom things for lego, like capes, sails, acrylic things and more! 

How can I show you some of my work? Can you give me your mail by any chance?

Hope we will work that out!

Kind Regards