Jim

[CONTEST] Who would join a GBC contest?

GBC Contest  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Would you join a GBC contest?

On 3/1/2021 at 9:57 PM, howitzer said:

You might have a point there with the "gadgetry" but isn't that true for any contest? Big and flashy builds are popular even if smaller ones might be equally well-made. On the other hand, GBC's are all about moving balls in innovative ways, so I wouldn't worry too much about big and flashy but simple contraptions dominating it.

(...)

Yeah, that is typically the case of contest, unless there are explicit constraints.

My own experience is also that the kids at first sight prefer modules with non-ball-lifting gadgets. As an example, my "easter bunny" module is amazingly popular at events due to the cute bunny:

1easter2017module_small.jpg

However. Kids that stay at the GBC layout seem to fall in love with the more intricate modules once they become bored of the pretty gadgets. 

A lot of the possible issues that were raised could be solved by how - or who - will be judging.  If people who are swayed by parts count or bright colors or a huge technic collection are judging, then those factors will be influential.

This isn’t the case in all the online, touchless, pre- and in-pandemic, GBC standards-compliant, contests I’ve joined in the past couple of years.

On 3/1/2021 at 2:57 PM, howitzer said:

You might have a point there with the "gadgetry" but isn't that true for any contest?

Only if the contest was set up and judged that way.  In other contests I’ve been in, that wasn’t the case.

Edited by pinwheel

12 hours ago, Ethan M said:

Is this still something that is going to happen in the future or not? 

I also wonder if this contest will ever happen. 

I will repeat what I said in the generic contest discussion topic;

I am perfectly fine with EB running a GBC contest, but I won't be managing it. Someone else needs to take initiative. There has been talk about rules and stuff, but nobody is taking charge.

Even though I wouldn't participate in a GBC contest I think this is a case where the minority should be heard.

I could see it as a longer contest, say till end of December? And other contests could run in parallel with it, for example a scale model contest to celebrate the SMF returning to the fold...

However I do not have time to arrange any contests, so this is just one of the may opinions that can't really make it happen. I wish whoever takes up the task the best of luck!

_ED_

Looks like a GBC contest is as dead as a Dodo.

Edited by Doug72

48 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Looks like a GBC contest is as dead as a Dodo.

I don’t think that’s the case. All @Jim and @Milan are saying is that they don’t feel best placed to run that sort of competition so they’re after someone from the GBC community to pick up the baton and run the competition.

Edited by Seasider

First of all I wouldn't participate, even though I'm in awe when I see videos about it.

Also there is a big problem here: GBC itself is like a big contest as there is a strict rule (move balls from A to B in a complex manner), and then every builder has be as creative as possible. Maybe if there were other rules, e.g. limited amout of pieces, staying in between a certain space and so on, it would be more interesting but it wouldn't be exactly a new thing.

Still waiting for this to start actually, although I created a GBC already in between.

If the contest is called GBC contest, it is simple; adhere to the GBC rules. Otherwise give the contest a different name
Everything between inbox, outbox and ball speed you are free what you want to design as always.
Only three rules. That seems already less rules than most TC's organized in the past.

Like @Berthil said, it is not that difficult to run this contest. Would you be able to help run it if I created the basis for it, @Jim? Who would be willing to donate some prizes for it? 

7 hours ago, Ethan M said:

Like @Berthil said, it is not that difficult to run this contest. Would you be able to help run it if I created the basis for it, @Jim? Who would be willing to donate some prizes for it? 

I already had contact with some people about GBC related prizes. I think we can work something out.

ill probably skip this one as i have no real time for it right now (octraintober oersonal stuff etc.)