Jim

[CONTEST] Who would join a GBC contest?

GBC Contest  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Would you join a GBC contest?

5 hours ago, Touc4nx said:

I would be interested by the mechanical side of it.
However, I don't have GBC ball, I only have these one : https://rebrickable.com/parts/54821/large-figure-weapon-zamor-sphere-ball/#part_usage
So the question of joining would be determined (for me) by the ball we can use.

Although these are not standard GBC balls, quite a lot of GBC modules will work with them so I'd imagine for this competition if it's all you have, you should go for it :)

I would be interested in producing a build for the contest as well.  Hopefully it doesn't overlap hugely with the Spring Discord build challenge.

I wouldn't join. I don't have any balls, and the build of most GBC modules is too System-heavy for my Technic-heavy collection.

I vote no, because I have no balls (Phrasing:pir-classic:), which is a part that is not common among builders on this forum. Plus,some of the cooler, more impressive mechanisms are not the domain of most users, and are much harder to make, which raises the bar for entry. I feel that it would be a lot harder for a user to submit a simple model with GBC. Plus, while a lot of users like GBC, and like seeing the models, I don't think that interest in building is a common thing. But, the poll will prove me wrong or right. I have no personal interest in GBC building, which is another reason I voted no.

Like a few others have said, i too would like to see a GBC contest. However, it's unlikely i'd participate due to lack of having the necessary parts etc.

I would love to recreate the original 'TOMY Big Loader construction set', that i had as a kid back in the late 70's/early 80's though. Had so much fun with that when i was little. 

It’s interesting that there is no GBC forum in Eurobricks, and is treated as part of Technic, and yet the posters here are saying they don’t have the parts for a GBC module and/or GBC is too System heavy.

I just got hired to repair conveyors belts and rollers systems at Amazon and I start training next week.  Material handling is the heart of Amazon warehouse and I would love to recreate a portion of the system to GBC equivalent!!  Can we use lego bricks and other elements instead of round balls??  If that's the case I'm in!!  It will go along with my next 3 months of training and my staff at Amazon would be amazed!!  

41 minutes ago, pinwheel said:

It’s interesting that there is no GBC forum in Eurobricks, and is treated as part of Technic, and yet the posters here are saying they don’t have the parts for a GBC module and/or GBC is too System heavy.

yes i asked a few years ago about a dedicated GBC forum part but im not sure what happend

1 hour ago, pinwheel said:

I dont know about system heavy, as far as I have seen technic bricks are used most often, and a lot of gears, linkage systems and motors. That's technic if you ask me!

But of course only poeple intrested in GBC have the needed parts, nobody else will have a sufficient ammount of these "LEGO sports balls". They were sold like 15 years ago, and even then in pretty limited numbers per set. 

3 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

But of course only poeple intrested in GBC have the needed parts, nobody else will have a sufficient ammount of these "LEGO sports balls". They were sold like 15 years ago, and even then in pretty limited numbers per set. 

I only found out about GBC I few months ago haha. I actually have around a dozen LEGO sports balls from the soccer sets I had when I was younger, which is probably enough for a basic contraption. I just don’t have any motors or anything like that to give it a go.

7 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

I dont know about system heavy, as far as I have seen technic bricks are used most often, and a lot of gears, linkage systems and motors. That's technic if you ask me!

They are still avalaible near TLC. I buyed some of them for my rubish truck...

And i think that with a limited scope for exemple a maximal base of 20 stud by 40stud (or shorter) and a mandatory two stage module (no more no less) it would be accessible at a lot of people.

I also believe that pure techic style GBC could be even more challenging .

So why not, for me.

15 minutes ago, langko said:

I only found out about GBC I few months ago haha. I actually have around a dozen LEGO sports balls from the soccer sets I had when I was younger, which is probably enough for a basic contraption. I just don’t have any motors or anything like that to give it a go.

A PF L-motor and a battery box aren't expensive in Bricklink, but if you feel you don't want to spend money, most GBC's could also be operated with a hand crank, which is of course not great for shows but I'm sure it would suffice for this kind of contest.

17 minutes ago, steph77 said:

They are still avalaible near TLC. I buyed some of them for my rubish truck...

And i think that with a limited scope for exemple a maximal base of 20 stud by 40stud (or shorter) and a mandatory two stage module (no more no less) it would be accessible at a lot of people.

I also believe that pure techic style GBC could be even more challenging .

So why not, for me.

I'd rather see as little limitations as possible, considering that every limitation you put might exclude someone from participating.

If some limitations had to be put into place I'd go for something like 1 main ball-moving function, with optional supporting functions (like a simple conveyor belt lift driven by its own motor). You can do marvels with just a single motor (just take a look at Akiyuki Ball Factory) but those large, complex machines take a lot of time to develop and tune so I doubt we'd be seeing too many of that kind.

So the title of the contest who be "Who has the balls....to join this contest?!" :laugh:

3 hours ago, sirslayer said:

I just got hired to repair conveyors belts and rollers systems at Amazon and I start training next week.  Material handling is the heart of Amazon warehouse and I would love to recreate a portion of the system to GBC equivalent!!  Can we use lego bricks and other elements instead of round balls??  If that's the case I'm in!!  It will go along with my next 3 months of training and my staff at Amazon would be amazed!!  

Don't stick your fingers in any moving or non moving part. And lockout tags and padlocks..and never never trust any one with the on switch....  otherwise goodluck.  I did baggage maintenance at Heathrow international...

1 hour ago, steph77 said:

They are still avalaible near TLC.

Can you explain?

Average price on Bricklink for a Basketball is 3.40€, a football 2.36€. Hell nah.

Well I do have a few zamor spheres from NXT 2.0 so it would be fun to go out of the usual vehicular technic into something else.

I will definitely participate in this challenge, will there be any restrictions? If some of you need the sports balls there is a cheaper option you can buy them from Lego directly at B&P. (you will need to wait a few weeks)

Isn't GBC mainly an event thing? As far as I know, GBC units by different builders are joined so they form a giant loop. A single module always needs hand assistance, putting the balls from the endpoint back to the startpoint.

It would be fun, but I don't have the required balls, but I may be tempted to order some from Jim's link above if such a contest would be started. And I do have lots of system bricks in all kinds of colors here. But I do think such a contest would need a longer time than usual. I would way 3 months or so. 6 weeks feels too short for something like this.

As a non-GBC-builder, I'd say, go for it. After all, there are many people who don't build motorbikes, and we still had a motorbike contest that looks successful. Except for the balls, GBC isn't really that much different. Also, lots of folks here love non-vehicle builds, and GBC would be the perfect showcase for that.

I would go fo as little restrictions as possible, but conforming to the standard GBC rules such as bin placement/size etc. so that the resulting builds will be eligible for meetings, if we can keep them assembled until after the pandemic. (Now I say this, wouldn't a GBC build contest be more appropriate in non-pandemic times? Then everyone can use their builds at meetings.)

I voted yes. I already have 2 module idea.

But will not enter if non-lego ball is not allowed except very few.

Because I don't have offical lego ball, PV's ball.

11 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Isn't GBC mainly an event thing? As far as I know, GBC units by different builders are joined so they form a giant loop. A single module always needs hand assistance, putting the balls from the endpoint back to the startpoint.

I watched a GBC loop at  a Lego show at the Shildon Train Museuum last year that used manual return of balls but most ended up on the deck or jammed modules.

Many use the GBC Trains system to return balls back to the start of the GBC loop. A return inclined chute from last module to the first mofule is also possible.

I would suggest a standard base size be adopted with a single motor to drive everything, max 48 x48 or 32 x 32 or 16 x 32 for smaller modules.

One of my first GBC MOCs was on a 32 x 32 baseplate with four different sections in a loop.

Perhaps the guidlines regarding GBC ball input box etc. should be posted in an entry topic so anyone new to GBC can enter.