Jim

[CONTEST] Who would join a GBC contest?

GBC Contest  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Would you join a GBC contest?

29 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Isn't GBC mainly an event thing? As far as I know, GBC units by different builders are joined so they form a giant loop. A single module always needs hand assistance, putting the balls from the endpoint back to the startpoint.

That's not entirely true. Lots of cool GBC contraptionsĀ can be made as C-models.

(and yes, maybe they do need assistance, but that still makes them worth building)

A lot of cool stuff can be found here:

https://pv-productions.com/product-category/building-instructions/

I'm in! GBCs are a lot of fun to build and watch. I just can't get why Technic fans wouldn't at least give it a try. Of course first places will be taken by people that are already renown on the site, with a lots of time and bricksĀ as always, but whatever; it's fun to build something new. And with GBC, there's at least one objective criteria; the thing must work.

Just now, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

What if I have one of those?

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=54821&name=Ball, Bionicle Zamor Sphere&category=[Ball]#T=C

It's my only ball, and I haven't built any GBC yet...

Ā 

I'm in the same case, I don't really feel the point to buy other ball, as I have some "Zamor Sphere"

Don't worry about the balls. We won't be strict about the use of "official balls".

2 hours ago, howitzer said:

A PF L-motor and a battery box aren't expensive in Bricklink, but if you feel you don't want to spend money, most GBC's could alsoĀ be operated with a hand crank, which is of course not great for shows but I'm sure it would suffice for this kind of contest.

Slim pickings on Bricklink stores in Australia, looking at $100+ which is expensive for something I wouldnā€™t use much... that goes much further buying other parts for Mocs. Hand crank kinda defeats the purpose for me too, the joy is toĀ sit back and watch it do itā€™s thing without needing to touch it.Ā 

13 minutes ago, sirslayer said:

@Jim. !!!!! I assumed that a no ... Only balls are allowedĀ 

Not sure what you mean?

I asked on the previous page if we can use bricks or other elements to transport instead of using balls.Ā  Ā The concept is called Material handling..Ā  Here is a Google linkĀ https://www.google.com/search?q=Material+handling&oq=material+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59j69i65j69i60l2.1125j0j7&client=ms-android-sprint-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Edited by sirslayer

I think the balls is not the biggest problem if the contest duration is 3 months than everyone canĀ just place an order with 10 balls at B&P (total cost 7,90 euro without shipping, and youĀ can add extra parts to your order :)

Edited by NDL-GBC

24 minutes ago, sirslayer said:

I asked on the previous page if we can use bricks or other elements to transport instead of using balls.Ā  Ā The concept is called Material handling..Ā  Here is a Google linkĀ https://www.google.com/search?q=Material+handling&oq=material+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59j69i65j69i60l2.1125j0j7&client=ms-android-sprint-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Great Brick Contraptions?! The concept is called Great Ball Contraptions, so let's use Balls.Ā 

Ā 

3 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Isn't GBC mainly an event thing?

A builder can build GBC outside of events too, otherwise when would they get built? :sweet: Ā 

Ā 

A single module always needs hand assistance, putting the balls from the endpoint back to the startpoint.

You can build a recirculating module so it feeds itself, or others.Ā  It's not an unusual feature for GBC modules.

Ā 

It would be fun, but I don't have the required balls,Ā but I may be tempted to order some from Jim's link above if such a contest would be started.

The best source is Lego Bricks and Pieces, for USD 0.60 each.

6 weeks feels too short for something like this.

All GBC build contests I've joined had ~6 weeks duration, and there's another one starting in 2 weeks that also has 6 weeks duration, although those are geared towards current GBC builders, so 3 months is reasonable.Ā  Also allows people to get the balls from Lego B&P which is taking 5-7 weeks to ship.

Ā 

Now I say this, wouldn'tĀ a GBC build contest be more appropriate in non-pandemicĀ times?

The pandemic hasn't stopped the annual (and biennial) GBC contests.

Ā 

Ā 

6 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

They were sold like 15 years ago, and even then in pretty limited numbers per set.Ā 

They are very accessible via Bricks and Pieces.

I voted no, but I might join. I am the most enthused about buildingĀ vehicles, but who knows, you may find me in the right mood and creative space.

Reading the comments and concerns here lead me to think there are several misconceptions about GBC. Ā What balls to use, what parts do you need (System, Technic), how complicated does it have to be, etc?

If anyone has questions or concerns that make them wonder whether they can build one, ask it, several GBC builders are here who can help.

There are other GBC contests in the past as well, including one thatā€™s about to start up, in case people are curious as to what thoseĀ lookĀ like.

Edited by pinwheel

Hello,Ā 

Sometime ago I bougth a 2nd hand basketball set 3432, but without balls.Ā 
I tested it with balls from the "hungry hyppos" board game, (popular in Spain) , and fit well in the minifig hands. Have 14mm diameter.Ā 

640x480.jpg

I'm not sure, but may be an option as 3rd party ball or to test modules until the lego ball arrives

640x652.jpg

may be if some someoneĀ 
in the forum that have both kind of balls , may compare them.Ā 

Anyway is a good contest idea.Ā 

Regards

Edited by dvm
Tipo error

As a GBC builder I surprisingly voted "no". This is due to my experience with GBC contests in the past, and the way that I see the comments are heading in this thread.

GBC contests often favour nice "gadgets" over more technically impressive modules due to the audience (and for contests the audience also becomes the judges).Ā I have blatantly exploited this, and with great success, whenever I have brought new GBC modules to events where there have been competitions involving GBC. But honestly this is not fair: GBC should encourage new and inspiring ways of moving balls... and this is also why you see Akiyuki being so popular - he is really inventive! But would aĀ module by himĀ win against a huge "rainbow" module where the lifting mechanism is a simple stepper, while the rest of the module is huge, impressive, vote harvesting, and ultimately not-ball-lifting MOC?

Another problem I see already with this competition is that you are talking about deviating from the GBC standard (such as different types of balls being used). Deviating from the GBC standard makes modules less likely to be used in events. We already have issues with existing modules that are not able to accept badges, or do not deliver 1 ball per minute (thus slowing the whole circuit), and it would be a shame to see so much effort into designing new modules be wasted since the modules cannot be used in circuits. Designing a module to use Bionicle balls, for instance, would not work with normal GBC since the 14mm standard balls go through a 2 stud wide gap, while the Bionicle balls do not.

I used inexpensive 14mm Chinese eBay beads for balls before. (Not sure what the LEGOĀ® content for the contest will be.)Ā  It is not a bad way to get started in GBC on a budget outside of the contest. Ball size matters if you plan to bring your modules to shows and have to work with other people's modules. Usually there is a GBC coordinator with a big bag of real LEGOĀ® balls at events so you don't have to bring yours.

https://www.greatballcontraption.com/wiki/standard

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

6 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Can you explain?

Average price on Bricklink for a Basketball is 3.40ā‚¬, a football 2.36ā‚¬. Hell nah.

Check this:

Last september, from Lego (Replacement Parts ->Ā Buy Bricks), 0.65ā‚¬ each. The basket ball ones. I think soccer are not available.

KU: 6261264
2020-09-04 Enviada 0.65

Ā 

x45.png

Unfortunately havenĀ“t used them yet... I need a contest!Ā :classic:

36 minutes ago, Lasse D said:

1 ball per minuteļ»æļ»æ

1 ball per second.

It's up to the organization but I, as a strict GBC compliant builder, still would welcome different type of balls and non-GBC compliant modules forĀ ideaĀ and design diversity.
And it's up to the community which one would win, also Akiyuki has made a 'rollercoaster' through his whole house.

1 hour ago, Lasse D said:

As a GBC builder I surprisingly voted "no". This is due to my experience with GBC contests in the past, and the way that I see the comments are heading in this thread.

GBC contests often favour nice "gadgets" over more technically impressive modules due to the audience (and for contests the audience also becomes the judges)

But honestly this is not fair

Good points Lasse D. Ā The contests I have joined in the past have been by GBC builders for GBC builders, voted on only by those who entered a module into the contest.

Itā€™s unfortunate that there are no details being shared about what the contest might be.

That said, I like build challenges so I expect to try building something even if I donā€™t think I can win.

@Lasse DĀ You might be interested in joining other GBC groups for build challenges that may be closer to what you are looking for.

I have never built any GBC, but want to try it out in a competition here on EB. I do have sport balls from sets when I was a kid, seems they come in handy now!

6 hours ago, Lasse D said:

GBC contests often favour nice "gadgets" over more technically impressive modules due to the audience (and for contests the audience also becomes the judges).Ā I have blatantly exploited this, and with great success, whenever I have brought new GBC modules to events where there have been competitions involving GBC. But honestly this is not fair: GBC should encourage new and inspiring ways of moving balls... and this is also why you see Akiyuki being so popular - he is really inventive! But would aĀ module by himĀ win against a huge "rainbow" module where the lifting mechanism is a simple stepper, while the rest of the module is huge, impressive, vote harvesting, and ultimately not-ball-lifting MOC?

Another problem I see already with this competition is that you are talking about deviating from the GBC standard (such as different types of balls being used). Deviating from the GBC standard makes modules less likely to be used in events. We already have issues with existing modules that are not able to accept badges, or do not deliver 1 ball per minute (thus slowing the whole circuit), and it would be a shame to see so much effort into designing new modules be wasted since the modules cannot be used in circuits. Designing a module to use Bionicle balls, for instance, would not work with normal GBC since the 14mm standard balls go through a 2 stud wide gap, while the Bionicle balls do not.

You might have a point there with the "gadgetry" but isn't that true for any contest? Big and flashy builds are popular even if smaller ones might be equally well-made.Ā On the other hand, GBC's are all about moving balls in innovative ways, so I wouldn't worry too much about big and flashy but simple contraptions dominating it.

As for the GBC standard, these modules aren't going to be connected to a single large loop so there's no need to comply with the standard. If someone wants to have their module presented in an event, surely they can be modified to comply with the standard, IĀ see this contest more as a proving ground for new kinds of machines instead of an exhibit of finalized versions. Same goes to GBC's which accept other items than the standard balls. The effort wouldn't be wasted any more than any effort put into a MOC that's going to be disassembled is wasted as the ideas can be refined and reused for future GBC's.

Or, just state the GBC standard in the rules and and be done with it.