Sign in to follow this  
badgerboy

[MOC] Mr Moon

Here is Mr Moon:

50975000338_5cae25056a_b.jpg

Wind the handle, Mr Moon will roll his eyes as another spaceship orbits him looking for a place to land… "Hooray, we’ve planted our flag!" Oh, looks like Mr Moon blew the flag down again!

I'll be upfront, I did this for the ongoing LEGO IDEAS 'Out of this World Space Builds' contest. But, It wasn't always mechanised though, I agonised about my initial idea which was just going to be 'The man in the moon'. I thought I could do a simple Brick Sketches in homage to Chris McVeigh.

50988583827_338dba9408_b.jpg

I just felt that it lacked pizzazz! So I noodled about adding Classic Spacemen, and microfigures and flags, but it just felt like a perfunctory attempt.

After talking with an artist mate of mine [a muggle or Noffler (Not A Fan oF LEGO) as I like to call them] I decided to try to add some form of movement. Here is a little video of the mechanism I eventually got to work in action:

orig.mp4?s=eyJpIjo1MDk3NTAwMDIzMywiZSI6M

If the video doesn't play properly, it can be found here too (turn off sound though - my kids are doing homeschooling in the background!).

I'm kicking myself a little because there was a prototype mechanism using the yellow racks I had and some more dbg and brown technic pieces that I appear not to have documented photographically :-(

Someone on IDEAS has suggested adding the option of a cow to replace the spaceship with if you wanted and I love that idea. I'm close to the 250 part limit. Some trimming is possible in the part count of the mechanism I think owing to a lack of parts in my collection. I actually spent about £15 on a couple of Bricklink orders that included the black curved gear racks and a couple of bigger black plates. I'm going to have a play to see if I can figure something out... guess I'll be buying a cow sometime this week!

I feel like I need a disclaimer, I realise I don't post much on Eurobricks, I'm more of a lurker here in the last few years (this was after I realised I was saying the same things in a few places!). I do feel bad for asking for support, but I really would appreciate the extra exposure sharing this here hopefully gives my submission. Please accept my apologies if you feel I'm being mercenary by posting this.

For anyone who is willing to make a comment or lend support to my submission, my entry can be found here. I appreciate any thoughts or criticism and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Edited by badgerboy
video was not working!

Very cool. Looks like the design for some classic, stop motion children's television programme. The construction of the Moon itself just looks really nice.

This looks excellent! Good luck in the contest!

Edited by JintaiZ
typo

1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

This looks excellent! Good luck in the contest!

Thank you :-)

10 hours ago, Retro said:

Very cool. Looks like the design for some classic, stop motion children's television programme. The construction of the Moon itself just looks really nice.

Cheers! :-) Moon is actually only about 70-80 parts and the original base wasn't much more than 30 iirc - which also meant I needed to do something additional because the lower limit of parts is 150!

I have to say, I'm not normally a huge fan of this style of MOC, but I will 100% make an exception for this. I love it! It's not an exact copy, but the moon does remind me somewhat of Meliés' "Voyage Dans La Lune" - perhaps it's because of this that the whole thing feels timeless and almost fairytale-esque. I don't know what you've tapped into, but it's like I'm looking back into some forgotten piece of nostalgia.

Bravo! :pir-huzzah2:

8 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I have to say, I'm not normally a huge fan of this style of MOC, but I will 100% make an exception for this. I love it! It's not an exact copy, but the moon does remind me somewhat of Meliés' "Voyage Dans La Lune" - perhaps it's because of this that the whole thing feels timeless and almost fairytale-esque. I don't know what you've tapped into, but it's like I'm looking back into some forgotten piece of nostalgia.

Bravo! :pir-huzzah2:

Those are very kind words indeed :-) Thank you for your support. I'm really pleased it has spoken to you!

My friend made a Meliés connection too, I did consider going the full moon route for this, but I thought there had already been a moc out there, I have failed to find the one I was thinking of and trying to avoid too much, so maybe I needn't have worried!

Okay, so, still a little bit disappointed that I didn't get selected in the space contest, so I've submitted it as a project... 

50975000338_5cae25056a_w_d.jpg
Mr Moon, for your extra consideration https://ideas.lego.com/s/p:22946c781c8a4e0b914e920b36e99bca?s=m

I was intending to include the following comment, but IDEAS won't allow it:

There will be many phases of the Moon, depending on the level of support, because I have ideas for adding to and updating the project.
  • 250 supporters - Option for a classic space/astronaut minifigure in the spaceship orbiting (a CS flag pops up!)
  • 500 supporters - Perhaps an alien could take the place of the flag as the pop-up?
  • 1000 supporters - Option for a cow jumping over the moon, maybe brick built, maybe moulded! either way, a milk carton would replace the flag!
  • 2500 supporters - I will modify the background, add a star field and perhaps some sort of picture frame!
  • 5000 supporters - I will make a new video of all the options and hopefully add it here!
  • 7500 supporters - Maybe a rotating planet or a distant star/sun could be added? I fully intend to make other updates to the project along the way, but there will hopefully be amendments here that come as a result of your suggestions!?
  • 10K! We can make it to the Moon together!
Somehow it made the submission "incomplete" or "placeholding" - whatever!

I'd really appreciate your support and if you felt you could share it elsewhere, that would also be very cool!

Well, Mr Moon has finally been updated with Classic Space appeal and was also featured on Beyond the Brick too.
51264781042_d1223e6175_w_d.jpg
I'd really appreciate any thoughts or ideas on how to generate greater support. It's so close to 1K and I'd also really appreciate help reaching that particular milestone!

Hello again!

Well, thank you to anyone who helped me reach the 1K milestone! There is still a marathon ahead, but I have indeed now made a Mooving version!

ss8dwhcmdyif.jpeg

I'd really appreciate any comments - obviously some more supporters (here) would also be very welcome. Thanks!