Mandalorianknight

75021 Republic Gunship mods and purchase tips.

The 75021 Republic Gunship released in 2013 and is somehow still the most recent republic gunship. With the next UCS set being a republic gunship, the odds of getting a system scale one in the next few years are very low, so I set out to purchase the 2013 model. I quickly ran into a problem: it's incredibly expensive secondhand. The cheapest listing on bricklink from a US seller is $250, almost twice the cost of the 2013 set, and it doesn't even include figures. I thought I'd be clever and try to purchase the parts for the ship, but that ends up even more expensive. 

TIPS ON HOW TO PURCHASE THE GUNSHIP ON A BUDGET: 

-Don't buy the sticker sheet. Most stickers on this set don't add much, with the exception of two stickers that essentially make two large LBG slopes white, in which case you should just buy the white slopes instead.

-switch out the bubble turret canopy for this part. You'll also need to switch out the hinges. The part looks very similar, but is $10-40 cheaper depending on where you're getting it from.

-Make a wanted list of the parts. Then, go through your collection and find any parts from that list that you have, deleting them from the list as you go. 

Using this, I cut the cost down from $250 (without shipping) to $80 (including shipping), although I was able to find roughly 30% of the parts before ordering. I highly suggest this for any lego fans who want to get the set but don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars on it.

GUNSHIP MODS: 

Like I said, this is a great set. However, it's based off the attack of the clones model, meaning that it's not exactly spaceworthy. Most Notably, it has large openings below the cockpit, and the bay doors only close halfway. I decided to try and mod the set into the clone wars variant of the vehicle, which is actually able to close it's doors all the way:

904C3690-8B69-42D6-8080-573E823C1D1B.JPG

As you can see, the gaps are covered as they are in the gunship variant seen in the clone wars show. 

IMG-7510.JPG

Here it is with the bay doors open (they unfortunately can no longer open fully, I'm working on fixing that) and the area below the cockpit visible. I was able to fit 16 passengers alongside the two gunners and two pilots.

I also made a more accurately sized AT-RT, and while it still can't fit inside the gunship, I still thought it would be interesting to show alongside it:

F79D9A0D-B65B-4364-8A32-CEDF686A0BB5.JPG

Let me know what you think of my mods and AT-RT moc, or any suggestions you have. If you are planning on buying 75021, I hope this helps you save some money!

Edited by Mandalorianknight

It looks great. I like the use of the different bubble canopy part. I didn't notice until I properly read the post, and the yellow touches actually work well with other yellow parts on the model, being the 1x1 plate above the forward doors. I really like the cover you've made for that door.

I think with the door it looks okay not open fully, with the bubble turrets already gone, but I look forward to seeing the further mods, do you intend on separating the door so the forward part opens the other way, as on 7676?

Furthermore, the gun on the AT-RT is a nice design.

That's very cool! I like it, and great job on making it more affordable too. I'm not entirely sure why this one has inflated so much compared to 7676 which I feel is equally as good (OK, perhaps neeeaaarly as good), but just misses the handle (which for me is fine). I like how you've added little mods to it, and that at-rt is decent too! Perhaps you can find a way to make it so it can fit? Someone done a very cool little foldable at-rt which I can't remember if it was for a gunship or AT-TE, but tucked up nicely either way. 

I like how you used the round plate to fill the arch gap, that's neat. 

I've also modded a custom version of a 7163 to add the front doorway being covered up, but with technic lift arms which enable to door to still be attached and easily open/Close. Link shows a pic which you can just about make out how it is done:

https://flic.kr/p/af42hR

This link shows the door closed:

https://flic.kr/p/aojWsk

Edited by Fuppylodders

80$ is a very decent price for a rebrick of this set. I am lucky enough to own the original set and I can tell you that the stickers don't add a lot more to this particular build. I don't know if the stickers for the Clone Wars gunship (from 2008?) are any cheaper than the 2013 ones but if they are some of those might be useful to you? 

I like your mods as I prefer the CW gunships to the EPII ones but there are two things you could add to make it more accurate to the show. 

1. As Stuartn said the doors should split and the parts you added then would open to the front. Maybe the CW gunship set could help with figuring out the mechanism here. And adding a few of those trans 1x2 tiles would help blend your addition more with the set. 

2. The plugs you created under the cockpit are an amazing fit. I really like how you got that round plate into the arch! To fully blend it in you could try setting it back by one plate and adding 2x2 and 1x1 quarter round tiles to it. And if you want to make the build more accurate maybe try and incorporate the round grey things that the CW gunship has on the sides? 

Oh and also, I really like your downsized AT-RT! I think the reason why it doesn't fit into the Gunship might be that the legs don't fold up like they do on the "real thing". If you are interested I built a minifig scale AT-RT with folding legs specifically to fit inside an LAAT/i and maybe even AT-TEs. 

Still, all in all this is a great way of getting this set without actually paying the extreme prices for it. I think a lot of people who didn't manage to get it when it was new will be motivated to try your rebrick after reading your post! :) 

Edited by Kit Bricksto

5 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

2. The plugs you created under the cockpit are an amazing fit. I really like how you got that round plate into the arch! To fully blend it in you could try setting it back by one plate and adding 2x2 and 1x1 quarter round tiles to it. And if you want to make the build more accurate maybe try and incorporate the round grey things that the CW gunship has on the sides? 

If you are interested I build a minifig scale AT-RT with folding legs specifically to fit inside an LAAT/i and maybe even AT-TEs. 

Still, all in all this is a great way of getting this set without actually paying the extreme prices for it. I think a lot of people who didn't manage to get it when it was new will be motivated to try your rebrick after reading your post! :) 

Excellent suggestion on the round tiles, that'd make for a really nice seamless join! 

Ahhh so it was you who made the little foldable at-rt! 

22 hours ago, Stuartn said:

I think with the door it looks okay not open fully, with the bubble turrets already gone, but I look forward to seeing the further mods, do you intend on separating the door so the forward part opens the other way, as on 7676?

Thank you! I had forgotten that the CW gunship has the separated doors, but I'll definitely work on that now!

18 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

That's very cool! I like it, and great job on making it more affordable too. I'm not entirely sure why this one has inflated so much compared to 7676 which I feel is equally as good (OK, perhaps neeeaaarly as good), but just misses the handle (which for me is fine). I like how you've added little mods to it, and that at-rt is decent too! Perhaps you can find a way to make it so it can fit? Someone done a very cool little foldable at-rt which I can't remember if it was for a gunship or AT-TE, but tucked up nicely either way. 

Thanks! I love that custom gunship design, is that Muunilinst 10?

18 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

I like your mods as I prefer the CW gunships to the EPII ones but there are two things you could add to make it more accurate to the show. 

1. As Stuartn said the doors should split and the parts you added then would open to the front. Maybe the CW gunship set could help with figuring out the mechanism here. And adding a few of those trans 1x2 tiles would help blend your addition more with the set. 

Oh and also, I really like your downsized AT-RT! I think the reason why it doesn't fit into the Gunship might be that the legs don't fold up like they do on the "real thing". If you are interested I build a minifig scale AT-RT with folding legs specifically to fit inside an LAAT/i and maybe even AT-TEs. 

Thanks! In response to the suggestions:

Good catch on the doors, I'll have to work on that. As for why the trans tiles and curved tiles are missing, this was just a day 1 mod and I didn't have the parts on me, but I'm purchasing them soon.

I'll have to check out your AT-RT, that sounds great!

17 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Thank you! I had forgotten that the CW gunship has the separated doors, but I'll definitely work on that now!

That was never a criticism, it seems realistic for mass produced vehicles to have different mechanisms on various vehicles, but I look forward to seeing your further Mods.

On 2/27/2021 at 8:25 PM, Fuppylodders said:

I've also modded a custom version of a 7163 to add the front doorway being covered up, but with technic lift arms which enable to door to still be attached and easily open/Close. Link shows a pic which you can just about make out how it is done:

https://flic.kr/p/af42hR

That looks great, I really like the front mouth design.

11 hours ago, Stuartn said:

That was never a criticism, it seems realistic for mass produced vehicles to have different mechanisms on various vehicles, but I look forward to seeing your further Mods.

That looks great, I really like the front mouth design.

Thanks, but, I didn't design the mouth, just modified the set to be longer and a few other bits. The original design was done by someone called Chris(I bought his instructions), but I forget his whole name. 

On 2/28/2021 at 4:18 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

Thanks! I love that custom gunship design, is that Muunilinst 10?

Thanks! In response to the suggestions:

Good catch on the doors, I'll have to work on that. As for why the trans tiles and curved tiles are missing, this was just a day 1 mod and I didn't have the parts on me, but I'm purchasing them soon.

I'll have to check out your AT-RT, that sounds great!

It'll be good to see it again if you attend to the doors and curved tiles :thumbup:

Great thread and definitely some useful tips. I wish I thought about swapping the grey slopes on the wings for white ones, since I also skipped the stickers entirely when I BLd mine.
Confronting the part list with the spare parts bin is a must in this case, since many of the small parts needed such as 1x1 bricks and slopes or technic pins are easily already there. I managed to find 30% of the piece total in there before making the first order.
Also, another useful -although maybe obvious- tip is to check in the instructions if a piece can be colour-swapped if it's part of the internal build. An example are a couple of long technic bricks needed for the 75021, blue on the official set and yellow in mine.

As for the mods I really like your coverings of the front openings and I'm curious about the added doors: do they split in the middle and open front-side or are they bulti as a continuation of the existing door.
Finally, if you are interested in a way to keep the side ball turrets with the complete doors I advise you to check this thread, the mod is quite simple and the result is great.

Guys, do you think there could be a way to fit the bubble canopy and have a door closing on it? I never figured a way 

19 hours ago, augustus said:

Guys, do you think there could be a way to fit the bubble canopy and have a door closing on it? I never figured a way 

The only way I've seen it done was by elongating the rear door while using the mod I suggest in my last post

On 3/3/2021 at 7:34 PM, Per_SW said:

Finally, if you are interested in a way to keep the side ball turrets with the complete doors I advise you to check this thread, the mod is quite simple and the result is great.

On 2/28/2021 at 7:35 AM, Sarah_H7744 said:

This is amazing!! :classic:

Thank you!

On 3/1/2021 at 3:30 AM, Fuppylodders said:

It'll be good to see it again if you attend to the doors and curved tiles :thumbup:

I'll be honest, I completely forgot about this mod. I did end up adding the tiles (though the doors still open off the one mechanism), I'll upload some images in a few hours.

On 3/3/2021 at 12:34 PM, Per_SW said:

Great thread and definitely some useful tips. I wish I thought about swapping the grey slopes on the wings for white ones, since I also skipped the stickers entirely when I BLd mine.
Confronting the part list with the spare parts bin is a must in this case, since many of the small parts needed such as 1x1 bricks and slopes or technic pins are easily already there. I managed to find 30% of the piece total in there before making the first order.
Also, another useful -although maybe obvious- tip is to check in the instructions if a piece can be colour-swapped if it's part of the internal build. An example are a couple of long technic bricks needed for the 75021, blue on the official set and yellow in mine.

As for the mods I really like your coverings of the front openings and I'm curious about the added doors: do they split in the middle and open front-side or are they bulti as a continuation of the existing door.

These are excellent tips, there's a lot of blue pieces that are actually somewhat rare in that color and never show up on the outside of the build. My door extensions are just plates added on to the original door, so they just use that same mechanism.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

There are two ways you can go about it. I have seen different variations of the gunship in canon. Some have the single door that Double  folds back, some have the split door with the original that folds back and the other part moving to the front. It’s possible to build it both ways and I have tried both. It’s all down to Visual preference really.

i will post my mods at some point, I’m neck deep in a build at the moment but mine were inspired by mandalorianknight but with my own adaptions

Edited by LDigital

8 hours ago, LDigital said:

There are two ways you can go about it. I have seen different variations of the gunship in canon. Some have the single door that Double  folds back, some have the split door with the original that folds back and the other part moving to the front. It’s possible to build it both ways and I have tried both. It’s all down to Visual preference really.

i will post my mods at some point, I’m neck deep in a build at the moment but mine were inspired by mandalorianknight but with my own adaptions

Can't wait to see your mods!

Here's my minor updates:

IMG-7970.jpg

Added the missing tiles, the gunship is now fully encloshed and "spaceworthy", so to speak. I also made the side doors with the round tops easier to insert/remove, as they were somewhat difficult to place beforehand.

IMG-7971.jpg

Interior shot. The gunship now fits 22: 14 standard 501st troopers in the main bay, 2 jet troopers at the back, 2 passangers (Rex and Anakin) in the room below the second pilot seat, 2 pilots, and 2 gunners. I'm going to try and mod the area below the second pilot seat to fit 4 passangers, and see if I can get the ammo storage beneath the first pilot seat converted to more trooper room to bring it up to 2 total troops.

IMG-7972.jpg

Here's an image of all my republic mocs and mods together: a simple BARC mod, small AT-RT moc, smoother TX-130 moc, and the gunship mods. I'm definately revisiting the gunship at some point to try and get half the doors to open forewords instead of it all being one large door, but for now my grand army of the republic is complete. 

6 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Can't wait to see your mods!

So my main priority for these mods was to ensure that the cabin had full closure but also retained the used of the bubble turrets/lights.  I also wanted to ensure that the door could be open and not require the bubble to be removed.  I did experiment with a double folding rear door which was also quite good but I went for this double door version. In canon I have seen both variations so its just preference really.  I also enhanced the rear to give it more coverage without affecting its function.  I also filled out all the underneath with slopes and plates as it looked too gappy for my tastes and I display mine suspended (love the handle) :)

Photo%2023-06-2021,%2009%2039%2028.jpg

Photo%2023-06-2021,%2009%2035%2007.jpg

Photo%2023-06-2021,%2009%2035%2050.jpg

Photo%2023-06-2021,%2009%2036%2020.jpg

Photo%2023-06-2021,%2009%2039%2039.jpg

Photo%2023-06-2021,%2009%2056%2022.jpg

Edited by LDigital

On 6/22/2021 at 2:14 PM, Per_SW said:

The only way I've seen it done was by elongating the rear door while using the mod I suggest in my last post

However beautiful this,I meant front door - like on the cw version, not elongated rear door. I never found a way. It would require making the gunship two more studs wider....