I have a thing for the early days of racing, and Mercedes-Benz SSKL, also known as "White Elephant" was a truly spectacular machine of the era, with distinctive stripped-down bodywork (they even cut holes in the stringers to reduce weight) and top speed of 235 km/h. So I've built a fairly simple model of one and if you're interested in the historical background and some photos, check out http://sariel.pl/2021/02/mercedes-benz-sskl/

Very nice creation, I like the red dish pieces behind the wheels to make the drum brakes.

I am not really into these kinds of cars, but I have to respect the drivers that raced them, always with their lives on the line.

The only thing that really bothers me is that the fifth wheel has a different tire on it than the rest :grin:

Panel, great MOC.:pir-love: Luckily I'm not the only one preferring beautiful lines from 1930s :wub:

I was following progress of this beauty and I really like your suspension solution :thumbup:

Great one!

It really keeps the spirit of the original Mercedes.

Btw. Why has this been moved to scale model section? This set is more "technic" than many other MOCs that were on the forum.

2 hours ago, Ivorrr said:

Btw. Why has this been moved to scale model section? This set is more "technic" than many other MOCs that were on the forum.

I'm surprised too. I mean it's literally at least 50% Technic pieces. What happened, too few gaps for the Technic forum?

Looks very nice :)

47 minutes ago, Sariel said:

I'm surprised too. I mean it's literally at least 50% Technic pieces. What happened, too few gaps for the Technic forum?

"LEGO Technic and Model Team", which makes it even more strange...

7 hours ago, Ivorrr said:

Why has this been moved to scale model section? This set is more "technic" than many other MOCs that were on the forum.

4 hours ago, Sariel said:

It happened that this model fits more into this forum, than the Technic forum.
Also, SMF Guidelines.
In short: a model fits this forum if it is representing a real world counterpart, is built as advanced Model Team, mainly with bricks, plates and tiles, with high level of details and prime execution, with functionality as a bonus.

marcus2388's model is a good example of a Technic Mercedes SSK.   

Love it, one of my favourite cars of all time. Such a beautiful machine, such a beautiful build. 

On 2/26/2021 at 9:22 PM, Milan said:

In short: a model fits this forum if it is representing a real world counterpart, is built as advanced Model Team, mainly with bricks, plates and tiles, with high level of details and prime execution, with functionality as a bonus.

Oh well.

I could not care less about the guidelines in this case. Once such a beautiful model makes it to/arrives in this section, I regard it as "pearl". No, as "Pearl". As being at the top. As a model that I will never be able to create. Plus: In this fine forum, such beautiful builds are not dumped to forum page 2 (and at latest then living in oblivion) in no time, simply because there are not that many "Pearls".

I believe it is a very great honor to present in this forum.

And I have no clue - zero - why this is not featured on the front page. But this is up to the higher authorities.

@Sariel Wow. I am totally in love with this rendition of a wonderful car. Colors very well-chosen - 1931 is a time in space that is a bit difficult (for me). Seeing this car in white in addition to the flower ring - makes it very, very easy to truly admire it. Nice.

Tipping hat, slight bow.

Yours,
Thorsten