Sign in to follow this  
Timorzelorzworz

42125 Hot Rod: Ford Model A - alternate build

eb_img16.png

Travel back 90 years in the past and rebuild your LEGO Technic 42125 Ferrari 488 GTE into this replica of 1931 Hot Rod FORD Model A. All required parts comes in the set 42125 and no additional or spare sparts are needed. If you own the Ferrari 488 GTE, you can completely build this alternate Hot Rod with no restriction. This model uses 1329 parts of the set, which are 79.3% of the parts of the Ferrari 488 GTE. Follow this link to show all pictures, renderings, 360° animation and the story about the design process of this MOC.

You can find this model with instructions here on rebrickable.

Features & Functions

• independent suspension in front and back
  • steering with knob (in the back)
  • engine with 8 cylinders, driven through diff by the real axle
  • openable doors
  • openable tailgate with lock to locate the trunk
  • box to transport usefull things that fits inside the trunk
  • overnight bag that fits inside the trunk
  • lifting jack to lift up the car
  • 41cm x 23cm x 15cm (with closed doors)

Here are some impressions of the model:

r_img2.png

r_img5.png

r_img9.png

r_img10.png

Box and overnight bag

The model comes with a transporting box and an overnight bag. Both fits inside the trunk very vell.

r_img4.png

r_img7.png

Lifting jack

Luckily there are enough parts left over to build a cool lifting jack with locking function. You can lift up the entire car and it stays in position.

r_img14.png

r_img15.png

Version Cabriolet

The model and building instructions are designed to make a Cabrio as well. Therefore, the roof is detachable easily for a quick summer drive.

r_img12.png

Scale, Sticker & Stability

The Hot Rod fits in scale, vintage style and playability with my Vintage Custom Pickup - alternate build of 42111.

n_img5.jpg

I have never tried this model with stickers, but of course it is buildable and could look more "racing-ish". I am excited to see the first user photo of this model with stickers applied. Some people report about problems with the stability of the Ferrari 488 GTE - be sure, this Hot Rod is designed to be solid as a rock.

What makes this model special

The wheels are mounted in opposite direction, which is not really common, but looks way better on this model. Unfortunately this way the rims does not fit the wheel hubs. As a reason, this model can not use the wheel hubs for mounting the wheels, but uses two of the rear hubs as the headlights. If you have already connected the two parts of the wheel hubs (the light bluish with the dark bluish one), be careful separating them. Because the model can not use the front wheel hubs, these hubs are custom brick built in a clever way and works perfect.

The real car

Of course this Hot Rod FORD Model A is based on the real car. Here are some pictures of the 1931 original model:

x_img0.jpg

x_img1.jpg

x_img2.jpg

Instruction

You get a premium high quality PDF-instruction with 412 building steps on 259 pages with clear images. Yes, this is a 18+ set, but the instruction is easy to follow. You can get the instructions for 9.90 EUR on rebrickable.
Here are some example pages of the instruction:

i_42_1x.png

i_169_1x.png

i_184_1x.png

i_244_1x.png

Have fun with this model. I wish you happy building and promise an enjoyable building experience, as well cool playing and displaying. Thanks for the attention.

That's a pretty nice looking B-Model! 

I like the wheelarch behind the engine, flows really well.

Just the exhaust manifolds look a bit pathetic for a V8 :laugh:

Edited by Gray Gear

14 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

That's a pretty nice looking B-Model! 

I like the wheelarch behind the engine, flows really well.

Just the exhaust manifolds look a bit pathetic for a V8 :laugh:

yes, my wish was four pipis per side, but unfortunately not enough parts

3 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

yes, my wish was four pipis per side, but unfortunately not enough parts

Yeah I thought so. But it shouldn't be hard to improve if it bothers someone with a few extra parts.

Very nice model.
I like the technique you used for the front light. However, if you built the main model, you are screwed… :sceptic:

5 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

as the A-model!

That's not a very nice thing to say?! :angry::devil:

31 minutes ago, Touc4nx said:

Very nice model.
I like the technique you used for the front light. However, if you built the main model, you are screwed… :sceptic:

Try >>>THIS<<< if you want to disassemble a wheel hub without damaging the bricks :wink:

Edited by Gray Gear

4 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

?

1 minute ago, JintaiZ said:

?

Its not as bad as the flexari is what I meant to say :laugh_hard: Imo this is easily better that the A-model. But well, the A-model didn't raise the bar very high.

Just now, Gray Gear said:

Its not as bad as the flexari is what I meant to say :laugh_hard: Imo this is easily better that the A-model. But well, the A-model didn't raise the bar very high.

Sorry, my bad...

The A-model is good enough to be honest, just too much stickers...

Just now, JintaiZ said:

Sorry, my bad...

The A-model is good enough to be honest, just too much stickers...

And you'll be able to pick up this MOC without it bending that bad. That's what I think is the worst part: It seems like TLG doesn't care that the model is way too unstable, especially for technic standards. It may look ok or even good from the outside, but the inside was stripped of every last reinforcement to lower production cost. That's just sad imo.

TLG should be very happy that people make B-models like this one!

6 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

And you'll be able to pick up this MOC without it bending that bad. That's what I think is the worst part: It seems like TLG doesn't care that the model is way too unstable, especially for technic standards. It may look ok or even good from the outside, but the inside was stripped of every last reinforcement to lower production cost. That's just sad imo.

TLG should be very happy that people make B-models like this one!

Yes but that would make you feel like you are getting a set almost as big as the 1:8 supercars, even though you aren't...

Ingeniously creative !! It has so much unconventional usage of parts. And looks awesome as well !

16 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Try >>>THIS<<< if you want to disassemble a wheel hub without damaging the bricks :wink:

Nice thank you, I didn't kew this technique. It seems to work well

18 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Many thanks for sharing that. I will put this info into the MOC description.