snowvictim

Help! Swivel plate curved walls

Help!!!!

I'm working on the Studio model of a new build and I can't calculate the angle for the swivel plates in order for them to connect up. Is there some fancy equation for this? It's really annoying because you CAN connect this in real life, but the app is making it impossible.Screenshot-2021-02-25-at-12-01-11.png

Let n = the number of segments to make a complete circle. Let x = the angle in degrees between each segment. Then x = 360 / n (assuming you want equal angles between all segments).

Thanks for the response! That's what I did, it's just that it doesn't work. I'm trying to have 9 segments between the "arms", which gives me an angle of 10. When I angle each swivel plate at 10 degrees, the outermost swivels don't line up with the studs...

So the entire circle would be 40 segments (4 "arm" pieces with 9 segments in between them). That gives 360/40 = 9. When I get each swivel at an angle of 9 degrees the final one doesn't line up with the studs...

Edited by snowvictim

Hmmm,

Math seems to be all good. But then: You said "CAN connect this in real life" ...

Real life always has ... lovely ... "margins". A computer needs to be told to tolerate these. Does Studio do that? I don't believe so, but I may be wrong.

Experienced the same thing many times, when importing from MLCAD (LDraw) into Studio. OK, MLCAD lets you do what you want, even having a plate positioned within a brick (which is of course nonsense, but ...). Studio is smart, but not living in a real world.

It is annoying, but it is what it is.

Good luck on your project!

All the best,
Thorsten

22 minutes ago, Toastie said:

OK, MLCAD lets you do what you want, even having a plate positioned within a brick

Stud.io lets you do this too, apparently, as I found out after spending two hours seeking out and counting exactly the right bricks for a film set I'd designed, only to find that the count was wrong since two of the parts were embedded in one another. I'm not sure that's intended function, though!

When you build this in real life, how do you ensure every angle is exactly the same? You are creating a flexible part with fixed ends. It is not just angles, there are distances to consider too. I think you have a 20 stud long quarter circumference, which must equal 0.5 pi r, and so r is not a whole number of studs, and your radius will not be equal for every section. Hence the angles cannot be the same.

10 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I'm not sure that's intended function, though!

Oh - that is interesting! Now, you can do that as well by importing a "plate within a brick" from MLCAD into Studio - but then the parts become transparent, at least with the (maybe stupid preference) settings on my computer. Also, they would not render - and this is what I am using Studio for: Adding flexible parts (ingenious solution here - as with flex-track in the Bluebrick software) and rendering. 

When things are not perfectly lining up upon import, these are missing in the render. Sometimes wiggling them around a bit works, sometimes not.

Is there a setting in Studio to tolerate (tiny) misalignment? That would be cool.

All the best
Thorsten

2 hours ago, MAB said:

When you build this in real life, how do you ensure every angle is exactly the same? You are creating a flexible part with fixed ends. It is not just angles, there are distances to consider too. I think you have a 20 stud long quarter circumference, which must equal 0.5 pi r, and so r is not a whole number of studs, and your radius will not be equal for every section. Hence the angles cannot be the same.

I was just about to say the same thing. :thumbup:

@snowvictim may be able to achieve what he's on about, in real brick, but i highly doubt it's a true uniform angled radius. 

12 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

Stud.io lets you do this too, apparently, as I found out after spending two hours seeking out and counting exactly the right bricks for a film set I'd designed, only to find that the count was wrong since two of the parts were embedded in one another. I'm not sure that's intended function, though!

Yes, i discovered the same issue myself. It would even render the parts that were intersected. There is a collision mode but i don't feel it works that well at times. Although it does wireframe the error once the offending piece is deselected, sometimes it's easy to bury the offending piece within a fairly dense model/build, without even realising. And i feel it does that because the snap mode is way inferior to the old LDD's. 

As a side note (kind of related i guess), i ran into a similar problem when placing roller coaster cars on curved and sloped track sections in stud.io. I eventually sussed it out though, (which is quite surprising for me, as i'm dumb as a rock).  I ended up saving the method i used as a jig.  So i'd advise if anyone manages to solve the issue of the hinge plate conundrum, to save some kind of jig or template for future usage/reference. 

Edited by Dazzzy
Spelling