Hi! It's time to upgrade one more shelf model (the previous one was the Batmobile https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/180543-mod-motorized-batmobile-76139/&tab=comments#comment-3302360).

Ferrari 42125 has a lot of free space, so I've inserted four buggy-motors and a few BuWizz receivers.

50978854537_eb980e8da5_b.jpg

The chassis is very simple, I've removed suspension, V8, driver seat and steering wheel :)

50978745631_104d2b0fe7_b.jpg

And the bodywork is the same as in the original LEGO set.

50978044513_d99c172337_b.jpg

Here is the result:

Thanks for watching :)

I love that MOD, thanks for sharing :thumbup:! Instantly reminds me of the wild drift races in the winter season on Forza Horizon with my favourite 4-wheelers :excited:. This is what Lego Technic should be about in my "purist" sense - designed hollow on purpose, to enable all sort of modifications possible.

Though very few are able to handle the total costs of such an application. My estimated costs (Germany), if I would have to buy it from various sellers:

item amount price total
Set 42125 1 160,00 € 160,00 €
BuWizz 2.0 2 160,00 € 320,00 €
RC buggy motors 4 70,00 € 280,00 €
PF servo 1 85,00 € 85,00 €
    sum 845,00 €

@brunojj1 I wonder how much speed you could get out of two CaDA pro motors and one battery? Maybe not this much performance but it must be very light compared to your red one, and we know how well they perform there.

@desert752: Great idea and great video! Any plans for a run on a frozen water surface? Our snow here in Germany is sadly practically gone, but I had some fun with my - now again motorized - truck. Unfortunately I didn't create a video with it working through the snow.

@brunojj1: The costs will go down - or already went down - if you consider alternative motors (e.g. from BuWizz, which cost less than half of what you estimate for a - most likely used - RC buggy motor from LEGO) and reduced set price. But yeah, that's still not cheap, but if you already have the parts, it's a nice diversion. And the level of customization that's possible with it is outstanding.

9 minutes ago, amorti said:

@brunojj1 I wonder how much speed you could get out of two CaDA pro motors and one battery? Maybe not this much performance but it must be very light compared to your red one, and we know how well they perform there.

Good question, definitely worth to try. Unfortunately I have no time, all motors available occupied and the Flexari has to go down further to be considered :wink:.

15 minutes ago, johnnym said:

@desert752: Great idea and great video! Any plans for a run on a frozen water surface? Our snow here in Germany is sadly practically gone, but I had some fun with my - now again motorized - truck. Unfortunately I didn't create a video with it working through the snow.

@brunojj1: The costs will go down - or already went down - if you consider alternative motors (e.g. from BuWizz, which cost less than half of what you estimate for a - most likely used - RC buggy motor from LEGO) and reduced set price. But yeah, that's still not cheap, but if you already have the parts, it's a nice diversion. And the level of customization that's possible with it is outstanding.

Yeah, our winter season has changed from -20 and huge piles of snow just 2 weeks ago to +20 and lots of Sahara dust right now.. "The level of customization possible is outstanding" - that sounds like a good joke, but let´s see it positive :laugh: .

The performance is fantastic! Really great how the original bodywork can be kept.

34 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

"The level of customization possible is outstanding" - that sounds like a good joke, but let´s see it positive :laugh: .

I thought you were referring to non-LEGO RC cars with your price estimate, and compared to such cars, LEGO cars are quite customizable - or maybe that's the wrong word for it, maybe "reconfigurable" would be better? :classic:

46 minutes ago, johnnym said:

I thought you were referring to non-LEGO RC cars with your price estimate, and compared to such cars, LEGO cars are quite customizable - or maybe that's the wrong word for it, maybe "reconfigurable" would be better? :classic:

Everybody is free to see it his way - you are free to regard the 42125 set as "customizable". Our bricks and any set we are buying, is per se supposed to fulfill that purpose - at least that´s always my attitude. However more and more recent Lego Technic sets seemingly were not made for that purpose anymore. C+ applications designed for specific models and "dumb" on any other custom purpose for the average buyer. The 42125 Ferrari bears a 18+ label for a specific target group (snobs IMO). Just read the advertising, it´s ridiculous. HdS: "It can´t do anything, but has a big hole".

Now what @desert752 has done with it - it´s consequent and so obviously logical to me. If not the small insignificant fact that you can´t do it from Lego parts.

2 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Everybody is free to see it his way - you are free to regard the 42125 set as "customizable". Our bricks and any set we are buying, is per se supposed to fulfill that purpose - at least that´s always my attitude. However more and more recent Lego Technic sets seemingly were not made for that purpose anymore.

I totally agree to that and I believe this is also true for other LEGO themes nowadays - which is really sad. Maybe I already resigned and unconsciously accepted that fact and now see most sets just as part packs only. But you are right to emphasize that change of purpose. It reminds me a little of the history of Apple.

C+ applications designed for specific models and "dumb" on any other custom purpose for the average buyer.

Indeed, Control+ really limits the possibilities. I see no reason, why TLG couldn't create a profile that allows to create controls for the configured hubs and motors like for example the BuWizz app can do.

The 42125 Ferrari bears a 18+ label for a specific target group (snobs IMO). Just read the advertising, it´s ridiculous. HdS: "It can´t do anything, but has a big hole".

Now what @desert752 has done with it - it´s consequent and so obviously logical to me. If not the small insignificant fact that you can´t do it from Lego parts.

Well, you could try to replace the two BuWizzes with two RC battery/receiver units, but yeah, you can't do that with what is available now from TLG. That was your point, or?

That is a great work! 

In my opinion you can also use chinese buggy motors and normal rc components. The chinese version can is easy to open and you can solder any wire/connector to it you want. So i use it for examplye with a flysky reciever and transmitter, so the handling much better then with a app via cellphone.

8 hours ago, johnnym said:

Indeed, Control+ really limits the possibilities. I see no reason, why TLG couldn't create a profile that allows to create controls for the configured hubs and motors like for example the BuWizz app can do.

You can.

50 minutes ago, johnnym said:

Within the Control+ app?

PoweredUp App.

Control+ is just a nice looking profile collection for standard models with some bonus stuff. It's okay for it to exist (it doesn't harm anyone ;) ) but in my opinion a quick guide in the RC models manual would help people a lot to understand the concept.

9 hours ago, Gimmick said:

PoweredUp App.

Control+ is just a nice looking profile collection for standard models with some bonus stuff. It's okay for it to exist (it doesn't harm anyone ;) ) but in my opinion a quick guide in the RC models manual would help people a lot to understand the concept.

I know that you can do that in the PoweredUp app since a while, but IIRC this still requires some sort of (graphical) programming for example to "initialize" the steering and hence the original argument still holds true. For the BuWizz app, I create a profile with controls and just select the respective outputs for each control and I'm ready to go. Why TLG is not able or not willing to do that with the app that is meant to be used with the RC models is not comprehensible IMHO.

1 hour ago, johnnym said:

I know that you can do that in the PoweredUp app since a while, but IIRC this still requires some sort of (graphical) programming for example to "initialize" the steering and hence the original argument still holds true. For the BuWizz app, I create a profile with controls and just select the respective outputs for each control and I'm ready to go. Why TLG is not able or not willing to do that with the app that is meant to be used with the RC models is not comprehensible IMHO.

For simple driving (tracked or normal car) there is basically no difference in the steps, it just looks different. It takes seconds to set up ;). The tricky thing: You have to know how the blocks look like :D

Thanks for many kind words and interesting discussion :)

On 2/25/2021 at 3:18 PM, johnnym said:

@desert752: Any plans for a run on a frozen water surface?

To say the truth it was frozen pond in the video. But the ice was very bumpy. I cleaned it three times :)))))))

On 2/25/2021 at 5:07 PM, desert752 said:

Hi! It's time to upgrade one more shelf model (the previous one was the Batmobile https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/180543-mod-motorized-batmobile-76139/&tab=comments#comment-3302360).

Ferrari 42125 has a lot of free space, so I've inserted four buggy-motors and a few BuWizz receivers.

50978854537_eb980e8da5_b.jpg

The chassis is very simple, I've removed suspension, V8, driver seat and steering wheel :)

50978745631_104d2b0fe7_b.jpg

And the bodywork is the same as in the original LEGO set.

50978044513_d99c172337_b.jpg

Here is the result:

Thanks for watching :)

Can u share file .io or ldd. Thank you

On 11/2/2021 at 2:00 AM, mudseason said:

dumb question.

No differential, correct?

Isn't it an issue?

no differentials, it's not a problem on the ice )