RNRS001

8285 Tow truck Inventory question

I have been putting back together loads of old Technic sets. All is well, but I bought this one second hand and noticed my inventory doesn't match up with the official inventory. However, I see a rather large amount of alternate parts on Bricklink. Many of the chromed parts are grey instead and some connectors are different.

This: 6538b.jpg

Seems to be replaced by this as an alternate part: 6538c.jpg

I can't find instructions however showing the second part being used.

Then there's the wheels. The original inventory lists 6 chromed wheels. The alternate parts says they're all grey. Did LEGO change its inventory during the production run?

I want to put this thing back together like it's supposed to be.

The two parts are in general equivalent, unless used to switch gears. If used as an in-line connectors for axles, then they both fulfill the same function.

Also, my understanding is that the earlier versions of the truck came with chrome wheels, and later production batches came with gray. In fact, sometime back, the version with the chrome wheels/parts was more expensive than the gray version. If somehow the buyer replaced some parts, you also need to watch out for old gray vs. bluish gray.

48 minutes ago, DrJB said:

The two parts are in general equivalent, unless used to switch gears. If used as an in-line connectors for axles, then they both fulfill the same function.

Thanks. I know they're generally equivalent but still, it'd ought to show in the instructions, right?

And as for your understanding, I've read similar things. However, nobody seems to have confirmed this. If it came with grey wheels I'm all for it, it saves me a load of money ordering the parts from Bricklink!

I started a tread about the same topic a while back.

The first sets released had all 10 wheels & some other parts in metallic color. 

The later sets only had 6 metallic wheels & the last sets had none.

59 minutes ago, Tazmancrash said:

I started a tread about the same topic a while back.

The first sets released had all 10 wheels & some other parts in metallic color. 

The later sets only had 6 metallic wheels & the last sets had none.

Thanks, this does seem to solve the connector question.

Was this part for you also grey?

75535.png

My set came sealed with all 10 rims grey, all pin connectors grey and all axle connectors the smooth type. I was disappointed years later when found out the box art was aurate, it was shiny, just not mine.

Thanks everyone, I solved my itinerary question.

I'm still surprised this happened though, especially with a change in parts that wasn't shown in the instructions. And I'd feel cheated would I get one with grey tires instead of metallic.