Sarophas

My first MOC

Hello everyone. So I faced my fears and decided to finally share something here on Eurobricks. This is as the title suggests, my very first MOC and as such, I would appreciate feedback :classic:

About the MOC: A small medieval fantasy farm. The baroness and her henchmen have come to collect taxes from the farmer and his wife. Unbeknownst to them, a whole new threat looms right around the corner.

Flickr album link:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUrHMu1

IMG_0156

IMG_0151

IMG_0155

That's excellent! The landscaping and birch trees are really well built, and that's some nice part use with the droid arms for the fence!

A nice scene. Not too overcrowded with greenery, but nonetheless busy enough to let the eye search for the little scenes.
Appearantly its a rather rich farmer if he could afford a stone house, whatever his (and her) facial expression is. ;)

Could you please show a pic of the little tower on the left of the build? I can't make out if its a well with a high-pointed roof, a sort of small belltower, or something else entirely.

Great detailing! I really like the fence work! I’ve never seen that technique before. 

Edited by arselus

This is great!

A set that is a whole story in itself! Love the way you have used different Lego pieces to great affect. 

Looking forward to seeing more of your MOCs 

1 hour ago, Pdaitabird said:

That's excellent! The landscaping and birch trees are really well built, and that's some nice part use with the droid arms for the fence!

Thanks a lot :classic:

29 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

Appearantly its a rather rich farmer if he could afford a stone house, whatever his (and her) facial expression is. ;)

Could you please show a pic of the little tower on the left of the build? I can't make out if its a well with a high-pointed roof, a sort of small belltower, or something else entirely.

The richer he gets, the less taxes he wants to pay :laugh: It's a well, I think it's more visible on one of the other pictures.

18 minutes ago, arselus said:

Great detailing! I really like the fence work! I’ve never seen that technique before. 

Thanks :classic: I thought I was really smart, but someone actually posted a build with similar fence before me :laugh_hard:

There's been a fair bit of praise already for aspects such as the fence and the building itself (and rightfully so, they're delightful) but I'm more impressed by the use of tan Technic pins for the rushes? reeds? crop in the corner by the wall. It isn't every day that function parts like that get their day in the sun.

"My first MOC", I was already assuming something... less good looking.

This however looks fantastic! I like how you made the foliage, especially the birch! :)

Quite impressive, for a first MOC. I agree with the previous commenters - great work!

The house itself looks very nice, I like how many lively details it includes (the pig pen, the woodworking area, the well…). Also, there are some huge mushrooms in this forest! The design of the door frame looks quite classy - this farmer sure dwells on a productive land. 

Nice choice of minifig expressions too!

2 hours ago, LegoMFP_David said:

This is great!

A set that is a whole story in itself! Love the way you have used different Lego pieces to great affect. 

Looking forward to seeing more of your MOCs 

Thanks a lot :classic: All the positive feedback is really encouraging!

2 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Looks great, especially for a first MOC!

Thank you :classic:

2 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

There's been a fair bit of praise already for aspects such as the fence and the building itself (and rightfully so, they're delightful) but I'm more impressed by the use of tan Technic pins for the rushes? reeds? crop in the corner by the wall. It isn't every day that function parts like that get their day in the sun.

Thanks, I think they work really well though I can't take credit for them :wink:

1 hour ago, Lira_Bricks said:

"My first MOC", I was already assuming something... less good looking.

This however looks fantastic! I like how you made the foliage, especially the birch! :)

Thank you :classic: I just wanted to warn people that this is all new to me :wink:

59 minutes ago, Aurore said:

Quite impressive, for a first MOC. I agree with the previous commenters - great work!

The house itself looks very nice, I like how many lively details it includes (the pig pen, the woodworking area, the well…). Also, there are some huge mushrooms in this forest! The design of the door frame looks quite classy - this farmer sure dwells on a productive land. 

Nice choice of minifig expressions too!

Thanks a lot :classic: Yes it might be an enchanted forest for all I know :laugh: I've been investing a lot in new minifigs since I came back to LEGO, so I wanted to really make use of them :wink:

Very nicely done with great attention to detail! :thumbup:

Your scene conjures all sorts of scenarios. I imagine the young man running from the bear is the farmer’s son. As he circles the building, the beast collides with the baroness’s henchmen, mauling them savagely. Shocked but unharmed, the baroness stumbles back. The farmer seizes the opportunity to interpose himself between the rampaging beast and the noblewoman, fending off its blows until it retreats. In gratitude for saving her life, the baroness elevates the farmer and his family to freemen. 

Edited by AmperZand

Nice!  I'll not repeat some of the other compliments already mentioned above, but a couple other things that I like are the detail with the stumps of the cut-down birch trees, and NPU on the stud shooters used in the trunks.  :classic:

Constructive criticism since you asked for feedback:

I don't think the apple tree works as well as the birch trees.  I would make the trunk thicker and the canopy larger, but this may just be a young tree so that's fine!  One easy change that I think would improve the look would be to affix the apples on the opposite side of the leaf pieces so they're hanging under the canopy rather than shooting off the sides.

For the birch trees, I'd have a little more randomness with the trunks, even just as simple as varying the brick-plate-brick-plate pattern to occasionally skip or double any of those.  But they look nice regardless.

This is more of a preference thing, but I would consider having the roof bricks on the house not end flush with the sides of the stone.  I think it'd look a little nicer even overlapping half a stud past the edge.

Really nice build!  :sweet:

16 hours ago, AmperZand said:

Very nicely done with great attention to detail! :thumbup:

Your scene conjures all sorts of scenarios. I imagine the young man running from the bear is the farmer’s son. As he circles the building, the beast collides with the baroness’s henchmen, mauling them savagely. Shocked but unharmed, the baroness stumbles back. The farmer seizes the opportunity to interpose himself between the rampaging beast and the noblewoman, fending off its blows until it retreats. In gratitude for saving her life, the baroness elevates the farmer and his family to freemen. 

Thanks a lot :classic: Love your little story addition, maybe I should just contact you for my next project :wink:

12 hours ago, Poco Lypso said:

I like the rat! Lol! Spot on!

Haha, yeah I thought he looked kind of cute popping out of the wall :laugh: Maybe the farmer won't be too excited once he is covered in boils.. wow that sounded way darker than intended *oh2*

10 hours ago, deraven said:

Nice!  I'll not repeat some of the other compliments already mentioned above, but a couple other things that I like are the detail with the stumps of the cut-down birch trees, and NPU on the stud shooters used in the trunks.  :classic:

Constructive criticism since you asked for feedback:

I don't think the apple tree works as well as the birch trees.  I would make the trunk thicker and the canopy larger, but this may just be a young tree so that's fine!  One easy change that I think would improve the look would be to affix the apples on the opposite side of the leaf pieces so they're hanging under the canopy rather than shooting off the sides.

For the birch trees, I'd have a little more randomness with the trunks, even just as simple as varying the brick-plate-brick-plate pattern to occasionally skip or double any of those.  But they look nice regardless.

This is more of a preference thing, but I would consider having the roof bricks on the house not end flush with the sides of the stone.  I think it'd look a little nicer even overlapping half a stud past the edge.

Really nice build!  :sweet:

Yeah I agree with the above-mentioned criticisms. The tree was more an experiment, but I think you are right. Good idea of randomizing the birches. Again I agree with you regarding the roof, there are other things about the house (and build) in general that I'm not satisfied with. Knowing me though, I'd probably never be truly satisfied with my work :laugh:

Wow I wish my first moc to be this good.
Very well done. I agree with previous comments perhaps a little few color will help the eye to focus better.
Overall great details, ideas and figs posing.
Thanks for sharing.  :classic: