evancelt

[GOC-FB-COR] Fort Stockton, Wullham

Recommended Posts

With the growing importance of Wullham as the "Breadbasket of Corrington" becoming apparent, the Headquarters of the Corlander Armed Forces thought it wise to build defenses in the settlement.

Named for a war hero from generations past (who happened to be the great-grandfather of Elsabeth Stockton), sprawling Fort Stockton guards Wullham Bay with 16 large shore batteries. The fort also houses barracks for a large contingent of infantry.

panarium-map-fort.png

fort-stockton-1.jpg

fort-stockton-2.jpg

fort-stockton-3.jpg

Built for GoC Strategic Outposts, to be licensed by Corrington as a Large Fort in Wullham

 

Some BTS shots:

Spoiler

fort-duplo.jpg

First step was a Duplo base! 37 x 40 Duplos studs = 74 x 80 Lego studs!

fort-duplo-legos.jpg

Next step was capping the Duplos with Lego bricks. 1 Duplo brick is 2 LEGO bricks tall, 1 Duplo plate is 1 LEGO brick tall, 1 LEGO plate/tile is 1/6 of a Duplo brick tall

fort-duplos-plates.jpg

After the Duplos were capped with Legos, I added plates on top of the bricks.

fort-duplos-tower.jpg

Then I started to build out the visible features like rocks and grass

 

Edited by evancelt
Updated to add some build process photos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many forts being posted this week.. Like usual from you this is great. I see you have taken on board advice from the horse farm to make the shoreline to grass transition more natural. Great work, keep it up! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Corries are building forts too, that's alarming!

I like how it looks, with all these ornaments, nice landscape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the style and decorations of the barracks. It looks good how the various cannon fortifications have been integrated into the landscape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted some BTS build process shots above. Like many of my other builds, this one started with Duplos underneath to fill space!

 

On 2/20/2021 at 5:02 AM, Count Vroskri said:

Like usual from you this is great. I see you have taken on board advice from the horse farm to make the shoreline to grass transition more natural. Great work, keep it up! 

Thanks! Yes, I wanted to incorporate that beach feedback into this build. I think the SNOT tan wall helps a lot!

On 2/20/2021 at 7:58 AM, Bodi said:

I like how it looks, with all these ornaments, nice landscape.

Thanks! The landscape was pretty much done before I really started thinking about the fort. I tried to make the fort buildings have plenty of fancy ornaments. Once I had built the main building I didn't want to build the fort walls too high because it blocked the view of the building! I built the building in one big push and by the time I was done it was 3am. You can see how the amount of ornamentation drops off the farther you go up the building as I got more tired - we can say that's because the Corlanders didnt want to have to break out the ladders to keep it clean. Because I was tired I didn't end up capping the roof sides with light bley tiles as I had intended, but I guess the little round studs add more ornamentation to the top!

On 2/20/2021 at 10:36 AM, NOD said:

I like the style and decorations of the barracks. It looks good how the various cannon fortifications have been integrated into the landscape.

Thanks! Like I was telling Bodi, I stayed away from tall thick castle-like walls like @CapOnBOBS's builds so that you could still see the building. Less of a fortress, more of a fort. This made it look more like some of the sprawling forts I saw as a kid in Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia in the USA.

10 hours ago, Brickwolf said:

Great fort!

Thanks!

Edited by evancelt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful scene. The beaches, the grassy knolls, the rocks, it all looks very fitting for the island. And of course the batteries and fort look great, especially with all the ornamentation on the latter. That staircase is beautiful flanked with the curved slope pieces. And finally, that is one huge base area. I'm impressed with your WIP shots and the relative speed that you're building.

Approved :thumbup: for the Glory of Corrington!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very nice - pleasing choice of colors, great angles on the fort wall (really neat use of lavender, I am definitely making a note of that!), and an impressive amount of soldiers standing around in different positions.  The facade on the fort is also really well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 8:14 PM, Captain Dee said:

Beautiful scene. The beaches, the grassy knolls, the rocks, it all looks very fitting for the island. And of course the batteries and fort look great, especially with all the ornamentation on the latter. That staircase is beautiful flanked with the curved slope pieces. And finally, that is one huge base area. I'm impressed with your WIP shots and the relative speed that you're building.

Approved :thumbup: for the Glory of Corrington!

Thanks @Captain Dee! Looking forward to exploring more about life at Fort Stockton in future builds.

RE: Speed, we're still in COVID lockdown in my area, so I have lots of free time once my wife and kids go to sleep (if I don't mind being a little tired the next day).

On 2/22/2021 at 6:31 AM, Kai NRG said:

This is very nice - pleasing choice of colors, great angles on the fort wall (really neat use of lavender, I am definitely making a note of that!), and an impressive amount of soldiers standing around in different positions.  The facade on the fort is also really well done.

Thanks @Kai NRG!

Included my first lime green in a build in this one. It really makes normal green look dark! Next time I may put bright green between the lime and normal green to form a gradient.

I'm also becoming a big fan of medium nougat - it makes the dark tan (which is great too!) look a little lifeless. Med Nougat is my go-to now for dirts and dark tan is for wet sand / sands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic build Evan and sorry I am late to the party!

The fort itself is beautifully done. I like the smoothness of the grand building as opposed to the rough farm buildings in this style that have proceeded it. The white is tastefully broken up as to not look too plain and the slate roof looks really good. The landscaping is well executed and the Duplo you used to raise the base pays off in this regard. While I too love medium dark flesh/nougat, I'm not sure about it here - for my personal taste it clashes a bit with the bright greens - but this is a very minor criticism and more of a personal taste thing - it certainly doesn't detract from the build in anyway!. I think one challenge we will face as we explore Panarium is that as we have imagined it as largely treeless, (although not so much in the valleys?) the wide expanses of green plates can tend to look a little bare. Maybe some scattered ground foliage such as leaves or grasses may help to break up the plates a little? I always struggle when using old green as the main landscape colour! Perhaps rather than going bright we might experiment with sand green and tan? Similar to this build? Although that may make it look a little too old world?? Anyway just musing here - as I said this is a fantastic build in a style of fort that we haven't much seen yet but which is probably quite accurate for the time period. Definitely a GoC :thumbup: from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really beautifull fort Evan!

I like the white building and its ornaments. Landscaping is also good (but like Ayrlego said, maybe a little bit more foliage would even be better).

And a small personal nitpick, I kinda find the building a bit too small for being a Large Fort. I know the footprint of the MOC is qualifying for a Large Fort, but the fort itself looks more medium to me. I am not discussing the EGS status of being a Large Fort (footprints are correct), just the size of the building not being large enough for my idea of "Large".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A really nice build, I echo the sentiments of previous comments!

While the main building is fantastic, the rest seems a tad "empty". Maybe some wagons, or tents, or supplies dotted around the place would make it feel full. Even if the troops were stood on the grass outside, that would help. 

Also, I'm loving the map updates!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Fantastic build Evan and sorry I am late to the party!

The fort itself is beautifully done. I like the smoothness of the grand building as opposed to the rough farm buildings in this style that have proceeded it. The white is tastefully broken up as to not look too plain and the slate roof looks really good. The landscaping is well executed and the Duplo you used to raise the base pays off in this regard. While I too love medium dark flesh/nougat, I'm not sure about it here - for my personal taste it clashes a bit with the bright greens - but this is a very minor criticism and more of a personal taste thing - it certainly doesn't detract from the build in anyway!. I think one challenge we will face as we explore Panarium is that as we have imagined it as largely treeless, (although not so much in the valleys?) the wide expanses of green plates can tend to look a little bare. Maybe some scattered ground foliage such as leaves or grasses may help to break up the plates a little? I always struggle when using old green as the main landscape colour! Perhaps rather than going bright we might experiment with sand green and tan? Similar to this build? Although that may make it look a little too old world?? Anyway just musing here - as I said this is a fantastic build in a style of fort that we haven't much seen yet but which is probably quite accurate for the time period. Definitely a GoC :thumbup: from me.

Thanks @Ayrlego! While the island may be pretty treeless, the fort builders were able to find two large tree trunks to use for the roof beams! Agreed, the wide expanses of green can look a little bare. Was kind of going for that - a rolling bare hillside look. This build in particular is seaside and I imagine extra windy as a result. Perhaps some rocks and additional vegetation would help in future builds. I liked the upside down 1x1 round plates/flowers you used in the Wullham residence build recently. That would likely help here as well.

Interesting tip about the sand green. I will try that in some upcoming Wullham builds I have planned. I certainly like sand green better than lime green :pir-sweet:

4 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Really beautifull fort Evan!

I like the white building and its ornaments. Landscaping is also good (but like Ayrlego said, maybe a little bit more foliage would even be better).

And a small personal nitpick, I kinda find the building a bit too small for being a Large Fort. I know the footprint of the MOC is qualifying for a Large Fort, but the fort itself looks more medium to me. I am not discussing the EGS status of being a Large Fort (footprints are correct), just the size of the building not being large enough for my idea of "Large".

Thanks @Maxim I! I'm imagining Fort Stockton is a massive, sprawling fort and this is just one little (big) vignette of it. There are 16 shore batteries and we only see 2 here! The fort walls don't close behind that fort building, so there may be 20+ other similar builds down the beach a little :pir_laugh2: Anyway, just saying while the fort may not look big here, that's because I was going for a fort complex rather than a @CapOnBOBS-style bastion. Plenty of space to build near Wullham! I have some additional builds planned that explore additional areas of Fort Stockton, so we'll get to see more not pictured here!

1 hour ago, Spud The Viking said:

A really nice build, I echo the sentiments of previous comments!

While the main building is fantastic, the rest seems a tad "empty". Maybe some wagons, or tents, or supplies dotted around the place would make it feel full. Even if the troops were stood on the grass outside, that would help. 

Also, I'm loving the map updates!

Thanks @Spud The Viking! I also think the map updates help it feel more like a real(ish) place! Good tips re: the empty feeling. I was kind of going for a big massive fort complex with lots of empty room to do stuff, but may have not gotten that across well. I have some additional builds planned that explore additional areas of Fort Stockton, so we'll get to see more not pictured here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, evancelt said:

lime green 

I have always had a love/hate relationship with lime green! :pir-laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.