chuck_in_charge

[MOC] 1:200 Iowa-Class Battleship

Hello friends at eurobricks! First time poster here so please go easy on me.

I would like to take this opportunity to share my Iowa-class Battleship MOC. The model is built to 1:200 scale (accurate to a stud!). The ship features separable waterline hull, fully articulating main and secondary turrets, detailed superstructure, curved bow and stern, floatplanes, and stands. Almost all AA emplacements from 40mm Bofors to 20mm Oerlikons are represented here.

This model has taken me well over 300 hours, across several months, to research, design, model and test-build. I am proud to call it my best work yet.

Below are studio.io renderings mixed in with some photos (I have yet to accumulate the correct colors for the full physical build and photo shoot). If you have doubts about structural integrity, scroll to the very end for a video demo.

50951057106_02746c48f8_o.pngIowa-Class Battleship Cover Photo by Chuck, on Flickr

50958977713_58c628d72c_o.pngIowa 1943 vs Missouri 1945 by Chuck, on Flickr

50909184061_4cfe76a61f_o.jpgIowa Test Build - Waterline 1 by Chuck, on Flickr

50909187071_1dbf5612f6_o.jpgIowa Test Build - Waterline 2 by Chuck, on Flickr

50951154827_752e697d76_o.jpgIowa Hull Test Build by Chuck, on Flickr

50950356168_a65527c36c_o.jpgIowa Shake Test by Chuck, on Flickr

Separately I have also built a fully refitted/modernized version of the Iowa-class (BB-63 Missouri in her 1980s to be exact) with various upgrades to her armament:

50795623533_247471d66b_o.jpgIowa & Missouri Updated Comparison by Chuck, on Flickr

I have created several other ships including the CV Enterprise, battleship Texas and light cruiser Atlanta in this scale before. Below is a snap of the fleet. Feel free to take a look and say hi @:

https://www.instagram.com/chucky_in_charge/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chuckincharge/

Incredible! I've never seen such a detailed battleship before!

40 minutes ago, caiman0637 said:

Incredible!

Thank you

19 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Incredible! I've never seen such a detailed battleship before!

Thank you for the kind words! I really tried pouring everything (techniques, parts usage) I've learned into this build. I am glad you like it!

56 minutes ago, chuck_in_charge said:

Thank you for the kind words! I really tried pouring everything (techniques, parts usage) I've learned into this build. I am glad you like it!

Like it? I love it! How long did it take to build? 

Guest @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

great build

2 hours ago, caiman0637 said:

Like it? I love it! How long did it take to build? 

Thanks! Designing and building in studio.io took probably 200 hours, if I include all the hundreds of revisions and improvements I made. another 100 hours at least to collect the bricks and build it in real life.

37 minutes ago, chuck_in_charge said:

Thanks! Designing and building in studio.io took probably 200 hours, if I include all the hundreds of revisions and improvements I made. another 100 hours at least to collect the bricks and build it in real life.

*oh2* Good job!

WOW! What a model! Being able to design such a moc is not for everyone, I imagine how much study behind it, and hours of hard work to succeed in this undertaking. I am also impressed that you were able to translate the project concretely into a real model. This is dedication. I would be curious to see more recent ship mocs, like Cold War and modern wars. Keep it up! :thumbup:

Hull shaping is fantastic on your battleships.

Would love to build one after I have finished my Biscmarck.....

I just want to say thank you so much everyone for the overwhelmingly positive and encouraging comments! In order to avoid repetition, I won't respond to all of them but please know that they made my weekend! Please don't hesitate to post/dm me your questions or feedbacks as I always want to learn and improve my techniques!

And just want to add since a few people have asked - I am offering building instructions, just head over to my ig and everything should be clear: chucky_in_charge

Thank you everyone!

Edited by chuck_in_charge

These look Great!! If I was into this genre I'd earmark 8,000 pieces to build this since i have so many grey pieces!

Wow, both the Iowa and Missouri look so great, have you sent any pics of these to the military?  I bet they would love it.  Amazing job!

It's staggering, but at that BL price... geesh.

Would love to see your talents applied to something British - Warspite, Invincible (the battlecruiser), Tiger, etc. 

Oh, it's beautiful. I absolutely love this, the Iowa's are my 2nd favorite battleships (after the South Dakotas) and you have captured the detail perfectly. The gun turrets are probably my favorite part, the way you have captured the subtle angles while having the move is incredible. What is the BL price, I would love to have this beast on display.