Sign in to follow this  
Tube Map Central

[MOC] Prototype 1905 Gate Stock Tube Trains, comments appreciated

Well, now it seems that Botanical Gardens Station is also going to be served by a new Underground line, and for the Edwardian era, that means Gate Stock:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_1906_Stock

[google Underground Gate Stock for lots of great photos]

I have mocked up something to test various ideas for a three car train. As you can see, I have managed to keep the overhang under control, just!

side.jpeg

overhang.jpeg

To save a bit of space, the trailer bogie is offset, so first question: Currently the trailer bogie is on a turntable with a couple of hollow stud plates so that I can offset it. Can anyone think of a way to save a plate's height and still offset the bogie without raising the floor?

trailing.jpeg

offset.jpeg

Second question, and this is my undoing, what am I going to do about couplings? I don't think there is enough clearance under the Airline parts, and raising the fuselage(!) up will be a shame.

front.jpeg

rear.jpeg

I do hope this problem is going to be fixable, because it's going to look splendid when it is finished.

Any other comments appreciated. As ever, I am designing for Lego rather than striving for authenticity.

Edited by Tube Map Central
Typos

I’d stick a pin with eye (15100) in the center hole of the airplane part, and then use a 3L technic beam (either thick or thin) with a frictionless pin on each end across them to link them up, just like they do on 75955 Hogwarts Express.

if that is not sturdy enough, you can replace the 15100 with a 32184, connected with 2 axle pins to the airplane part.

Edited by Phil B

If you have access to the old style train couplings (part 2920), could you use part 3176 (Plate, Modified 3 x 2 with Hole) to install it? You might have to mount the coupling upside down.

For your redesign challenge, I have an idea. I'm not sure how perfectly it works, but it might give you some idea. The colors are from what was easily accessible. Feel free to change them as you see fit.
50958909598_6db1eb263e_b.jpg

Thanks to you both, very helpful 

6 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

If you have access to the old style train couplings (part 2920), could you use part 3176 (Plate, Modified 3 x 2 with Hole) to install it? You might have to mount the coupling upside down.

For your redesign challenge, I have an idea. I'm not sure how perfectly it works, but it might give you some idea. The colors are from what was easily accessible. Feel free to change them as you see fit.
50958909598_6db1eb263e_b.jpg

I see, of course ... actually, saving that plate height might allow me to mount a coupler direct to the bogie, such as 3176

6 hours ago, Phil B said:

I’d stick a pin with eye (15100) in the center hole of the airplane part, and then use a 3L technic beam (either thick or thin) with a frictionless pin on each end across them to link them up, just like they do on 75955 Hogwarts Express.

if that is not sturdy enough, you can replace the 15100 with a 32184, connected with 2 axle pins to the airplane part.

Was wondering if those holes might be useful, is there a clever way of doing this so that when the goes round a corner the coupling opens out, and on straight track it pulls back in to close-couple?

15 hours ago, Tube Map Central said:

Thanks to you both, very helpful 

I see, of course ... actually, saving that plate height might allow me to mount a coupler direct to the bogie, such as 3176

Was wondering if those holes might be useful, is there a clever way of doing this so that when the goes round a corner the coupling opens out, and on straight track it pulls back in to close-couple?

There are ways to do that using rubber bands, but it does require you to build something inside your train. I am not able to give details in this post (device I use is rudimentary) but google for “LEGO train close coupling” and you should get some answers.

Think my best bet in terms of geometry is to try and attach a thin Technic liftarm underneath the airline part, i.e. the body, as far back under the overhang as possible. Not sure how robust I can make the connection though.

Annoyingly, Technic thin liftarms seem to be out of system not only for Lego (thicker than one plate) but also for Technic, I can't find any useful pins that will connect them, e.g. to an anti-stud, without slack. With the tiny clearances I have, there is no room for slack.

Google is pretty broken these days, lots of hits for Kadee couplings, but nothing useful I could find on close coupling on models with overhang. If you are not trying to buy something, Google is clueless.

The half technic lift arms are 4mm, half the thickness of a normal technic lift arm 8mm, and a normal technic lift arm is the width of a 1x brick, i.e., also 8mm. It takes a while to get used to the technic dimensions.

But to the problem at hand, what about putting this part on the underside of the fuselage

4623b.png

and connecting the cars with a technic beam loose on the ? If so, you probably want the older version of this part (4623) because it has an extra mm

Another thought is using a string element

x127c11.jpg

You could mount it on the underside of one car, thread the string through the technic holes on both cars and secure with a bar or ??? on the underside of the other car. It would be a PITA to attach and separate, but it would be low profile and out of the way.

... oh, wait, another one that would be a PITA for connecting but would achieve your goal of close coupling would be to thread a rubber band through the holes in a manner similar to my suggestion for the string.