victorycount

[MOC/WIP] Medieval castle and historic city of Thun

51809202445_bbde5438bc_c.jpg
Hi all!

I'd like to share my atempt of making an exact as possible rebuild of the historic castle of the city of Thun in Switzerland, made with LDD and stud.io. I tried to implent as much details as possible(i.e woodwork in the roof and ceilings, or the chimneys that are connected from the rooms up to the roof). My mainfocus was set on the castle, the surroundings I made just because it looked a little naked in the fotos, and the big trees are actually not mine, but some modified versions of other stud.io users, will replace them later on. I also want to keep building the old city wall, including towers and gates, and maybe the city church, so it's still a work in progress.

I'm no pro at MOC-ing, it's actually one of my first buildings, and it was born because of a lot of sparetime in theese weird times. So let me know what you think, what you like and what I could or should improve. Thanks for reading.

A big part of the beauty of this castle is its surroundings, so I photoshopped/gimped it into my brothers picture, which got the 3rd place in "Wiki loves monuments 2018 Switzerland", below is the original photo for comparison:
When the pandemie is over, feel free to visit this beautiful place, which is considered by many one of the most beautiful on earth... :wink:

50956621367_1c2b18f78d_c.jpg

48586882416_f456b24a17_c.jpg

Some more pictures:

various outside views:
(trees all on stud.io: sakura by timmeyh / Big Tree by bb1061366 / tree by SMS)
50955814133_6bda790d83_c.jpg

50956520456_d425e6a712_c.jpg

50956621247_7a9e1369db_c.jpg

50955813978_9d779a505d_c.jpg

50955813938_69650edf2e_c.jpg

exploded view:

50956520231_26bd9d4623_c.jpg

Some pictures of the interior, here the attic:

50956621037_3845761675_c.jpg

circular stairs in the tower, and chimney shouldn't miss out:

50956520171_f8da7dca5c_c.jpg

Knight's hall:

50956520591_3ee9d0e11b_c.jpg

Edited by victorycount

3 hours ago, Sarophas said:

Very nice, and now to build it for real :wink:

Hey thanks. And no I don't think so, the castle with the entrance alone has almost 7000pieces, and with everything that I would have to change. A little bit too much for me. :grin:

Yeah you have hundreds of dollars worth of cypress trees alone :laugh:.  Beatiful design though.  The interior looks great.  

16 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

That's awesome! The interior is really nice, as well as the landscaping. Well done!

9 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Yeah you have hundreds of dollars worth of cypress trees alone :laugh:.  Beatiful design though.  The interior looks great.  

Thank you guys, glad you liked it. :thumbup:
The Interior should show more or less the museum which occupies the castle now. There are some more details not shown on the pictures, but I still couldn't finish all the details because it almost melted the CPU/GPU of my old PC :doh1:
I didn't even think about the costs, just saw that the cheapest cypress costs like 10€ *oh2*

Well kept on builduing my city. Just finished the outer Citywall, Towers and Citychurch, some details need to be added thou. But later on, next will be the streets and bridges, then the houses and landscaping if my computer doesn't explode before. :look:
Some fotos of the progresss:

51002805757_b1c65e68af_c.jpg

51002802312_c75ab8f642_c.jpg

51002805502_6a2d32773e_c.jpg

51002687281_e94463dded_c.jpg

51001985803_4d05408bd7_c.jpg

51002805537_5a4f707510_c.jpg

On 3/4/2021 at 7:16 PM, SerenityInFire said:

Simply magnificent.  

Thank you, happy to hear such nice words from all you talented MOC-ers!
Next little update: bridges and streets are now done, and the annoying "terraforming" too, more or less. Next thing will be the houses, hope I'll find some more ideas in the archives.
51021787318_b3aeeaa3ba_c.jpg

On 3/17/2021 at 3:32 PM, Yeetforlego said:

That is so beautiful!

Thanks so much! :classic:
Hope I can continue anytime soon, after recovering from that cold...

Thank you @Tom_Brick!!

Update:
The City Island called "Bälliz" is now almost done, I added some more iconic buildings like the cornhouse, the orphanage, two guesthouses completed the wall and added some random buildings.

Through a hole in the wall you get some better view on the progress:
51174158056_6fae09d750_c.jpg

The whole Island, still needs some more details:

51174384808_fd0d23668d_c.jpg

A closer view:

51174384758_fe90b67278_c.jpg

The city begins slowly to take form, but still a lot to go, while stud.io seems to get to its limits:
51569260319_daa815596c_c.jpg

a view from the church tower:
51568818428_7a0fc1401a_c.jpg

the city center:

51568576436_3e7c76d772_c.jpg

some inner city buildings:

51567780427_aa4d634402_c.jpg

more citywall, towers and gates...

51568818323_5d0db75da1_c.jpg

That's an impressively large hillside! The city looks great all together, and it does look like it would push the limits of stud.io!

On 10/9/2021 at 9:12 PM, evancelt said:

That's an impressively large hillside! The city looks great all together, and it does look like it would push the limits of stud.io!

Thanks, and yes, stud.io isn't working properly anymore. It is quite difficult to keep building like that. 

That's amazing!!! I would like to see it in real. I hope you get support from a LUG or a Museum to build it in real. You may aske the friends from swissLUG?

Edited by Petric_G

A little bit late but happy new year to you all! To celebrate the new year and also my finished(as far as I could get) city some firework over the skyline of historic Thun city, and finally a bird view over the city. Enjoy:
51809202445_bbde5438bc_c.jpg
51808463406_8085cf35f8_c.jpg
51808581488_77117a42d2_c.jpg

On 10/27/2021 at 6:24 PM, Petric_G said:

That's amazing!!! I would like to see it in real. I hope you get support from a LUG or a Museum to build it in real. You may aske the friends from swissLUG?

Hey thanks so much for the kind words and sorry for answering a little bit late... :look:  ...was kinda busy...
Well yes, I was thinking of something like that too. Although I didn't even now what a LUG is :wink:  But thanks for the tip!
If this is ever getting real, at least I know now who to ask for help :grin:

This is fantastic! :pir-love: This really is fireworks! :pir-stareyes: You rebuilt the city of Thun! Your model looks better than the old town today. Wonderful how you built the castle, the town hall square and the many other buildings.

Excellent job.  This would be amazing in real Lego form.  Very nice details throughout the build.  I like the way you did the water.  All the little buildings and shops look great.  I like the cobblestone walkways.  There is a lot of windows in this city that must have taken awhile with all the different styles.  Happy New Year to you as well.  

Thank you all so much for all your nice comments, from all you talented guys. I appreciate it a lot. I hope I'll find the time to comment all your amazing builds too.

On 1/9/2022 at 4:31 PM, zoth33 said:

Excellent job.  This would be amazing in real Lego form.  Very nice details throughout the build.  I like the way you did the water.  All the little buildings and shops look great.  I like the cobblestone walkways.  There is a lot of windows in this city that must have taken awhile with all the different styles.  Happy New Year to you as well.  

Thank you! Yeah all the windows made me almost crazy, I tried the best I could :laugh:   Sure, now that I took out some cypress trees I guess I can afford to build it in real. :wink:

On 1/9/2022 at 6:22 AM, NOD said:

This is fantastic! :pir-love: This really is fireworks! :pir-stareyes: You rebuilt the city of Thun! Your model looks better than the old town today. Wonderful how you built the castle, the town hall square and the many other buildings.

Thanks! Well yes, with old pictures and drawings I tried to rebuild the city how it might have looked a few hundred years ago, but actually it is mostly the city wall with its gates and some towers that doesn't exist anymore. And yes, I tried to imply as much details as possible, eventhough my building technics are in 80-90s Lego style. :grin:

AMAZING!!! You not only managed to get the medieval city "feeling" but you've added tons of details as well. I've wanted to make something like this for my birthplace (Heraklion) with its Venetian walls etc but never got the guts to actually try it even in microscale, let alone build something the size like this!

I am curious as to how many hours the whole endeavor took you and how many pc crashes stud.io enabled. However the case, less crashes than in LDD i suppose... :pir-tongue:

All in all a most impressive work (of art) ! :pir-wub: Its a pity one cannot realize it in brick given the elements costs.

Edited by blackdeathgr

12 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

All in all a most impressive work (of art) ! :pir-wub: Its a pity one cannot realize it in brick given the elements costs.

Quoting blackdeathgr on this, because he summed up my thoughts exactly. It is truly a work of art you've built. There's stuff everywhere to check out and you've simply nailed the medieval feeling of a city. Amazing!