Sign in to follow this  
CapOnBOBS

[OL-FB] Large Wooden Fort in Tarlor

Terraversa is spear won territory and it must be defended! 

LargeFort5_2

The maneuver units have been repositioned to re-invigorate the offenses that have stalled against the onslaught of bad news: no progress in King's Port for months, the sudden and total loss of Fatu Hiva where our Garrison of over 300 was reduced to 60 battle ready men and two large forts were destroyed while imposing only minor damage on one Red Coat ship, the luck of the Red Coats and Green Coats to sail past our 17 warships in the waters surrounding TV to land over 1,000 reinforcements unmolested, each with an eye to partitioning Terraversa amongst themselves under the false pretext of "protection," and the news that Prio now may enter the fray. These are indeed dark times...

LargeFort5_5

Well my friends, those on the ground have seen the change. Where at first we were resisted as conquerors, fear spread by Red Coat propaganda, we now see patriots like those in Nola Mar appearing across the island. As our actions and conduct have proven Terraveran fears unfounded, cooperation increases, governance returns in the towns, and volunteers pour in to fill the ranks of our garrisons. 

LargeFort5_7

Here in Tarlor, a large fort has been constructed over the past few months of earth and timber. The town is protected by a mostly locally recruited garrison, and the seaward bastion's protect the waters to the South. 

LargeFort5_6

Well supplied, the large fort will make Tarlor a tough nut to crack for any would-be attackers.

LargeFort5_3

Crews drill constantly as professionalism, discipline, and skill is added to the zeal and fearlessness that only true freedom fighters possess. 

LargeFort5_1

The Crown and subjects of Oleon have been tried, but have not broken. We shall fight on with the gods on our side. We will be victorious. 

LargeFort5_4

Edited by CapOnBOBS

That's a proper fort! The King shall be proud of your performance, admiral.:pir-thumb:

Nice design with the angled stakes at the front. Good selection of photos. I like to see the diorama from all sides.

Excellent fort, sir. I really like the choice of a wooden fort. While no less impressive, it makes it believable that it could be erected under the circumstances. The sloped walls are well done, and the star bastion in the middle really shines. A few guns on the landward side could be useful, should it be attacked by land forces.  Scratch that, there are plenty! :pir-laugh:

Your work on the terrain is quite excellent too. Overall, well done!

In your story, however, there are a few misunderstandings or misrepresentations that I will put down to IC propaganda. :pir-grin:

However, as it may for some appear questionable, I will clarify a few points below.

7 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

where our Garrison of over 300 was reduced to 60 battle ready men

The garrison was 60 men plus the crews of the forts for a total of 300. And the story states that all men survived, but that the fort garrisons cannot be taken off, but will rejoin the forts once they are repaired.

7 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

the near miraculous ability of the Red Coats and Green Coats to sail past our 17 warships in the waters surrounding TV to land over 1,000 reinforcements unmolested

OL ships were targeting neither ESL nor COR ships as per their orders, hence both ships sailed past without an issue. Should you want to set up a defensive patrol/blockade, you should give one or more fleets orders to sail in zone 13 targeting anyone you consider enemy. If this includes neutral nations, e.g. ESL, you will probably be best off giving a clear declaration beforehand that you consider any shipping in zone 13 as infringing on your interests and will open fire. That should put the diplomatics in order.

Additionally, if you want a standing patrol, you should give it orders to stay in that zone for as long as possible. E.g. with a range of 3 (meaning you can sail through 4 zones), giving the zone 13 in your mrca submission will just send it out and back in as fast as it can. (useful for transports, for instance) Instead, giving it the order of 13,13,13,13, will keep it active in the zone for the duration of the turn.

8 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

large fort in Tarlor is capable of supporting operations in WESTFACE, SILLITHOLINA, PILNTON, TANARI, and NOLA MAR.

FYI, the protection radius of forts is obsolete. A fort protects the city it is located in, as well as any outlying farms etc. We have no reliable way of determining distances, and it makes no sense that a fort can attack ships 30 miles away. Likewise, in your raids, you only opposed the local forts and their garrisons.

Hope that clarifies matters a bit for those interested. Again, excellent fort and excellent effort. Building forts is also a good way to add crew stats to defences on an island where your recruitment capacity is limited. Well played!

2 hours ago, Bregir said:

FYI, the protection radius of forts is obsolete. A fort protects the city it is located in, as well as any outlying farms etc. We have no reliable way of determining distances, and it makes no sense that a fort can attack ships 30 miles away. Likewise, in your raids, you only opposed the local forts and their garrisons.

@Bregir, Yes, propaganda. Some of it is difficult to swallow and OL propaganda can reflect that while also accepting it as reality. Thanks for the nice comments about the fort... I was thinking about Fort William Henry (which was a real place, not just a scene in Last of the Mohicans). 

THAT SAID, "the protection radius of forts is obsolete." is a HUGE change to the universe that goes directly against the published description of how the universe works! I don't know if I'm the only one who is finding that out for the first time in your comment, but, man... that is frustrating... That redraws the whole map and changes the dynamic of the whole system. When I first read the radii in the land rules, I had to rationalize it a bit to myself (as I articulate above), forts are power projection platforms, not "just" fixed fortifications. I'm ok with that, but was surprised it was the rule. I'd be fine with it either way... just so long as we all understand which way it is... and your comment here is the first time I have seen something contrary to the published rules (that I have been keeping in mind as I've built forts and measured our/and your vulnerability based off of). 

@Capt Wolf highlighted the other day, this (the different and not well understood mechanisms for how the attack on King's Port was different from the attack on Fatu Hiva) is tricky because it is the first time that a faction on faction conflict has occurred and I get that. Your post here is another example of how the rules are unclear and causing frustration. How can I help us clear this all up? OL doesn't have to win for this to be fun, but it is real frustrating when the rules seem to be changing mid-fight. Gents, this is my favorite lego based online pirate universe, I hope my borderline obsessive posting shows you how much I appreciate the world you have built. How can I help you make it more clearly understood by all those who enjoy it. 

Fabulous work, @CapOnBOBS! The cannon shot and sloped walls are really stellar in particular

Edited by evancelt

16 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

LargeFort5_2

I would like to make a minor criticism about the framing...

The presentation is excellent aside from the fact the bottom corner is cut off and there's not much negative space (I.e. plain background) between the flag and top of the frame.

You've got negative space on the left and right, but for some reason the top and bottom margins have been neglected.

how did you do the angling on the front panels? I cant tell if your using wood 1x4 in between the 1x2 normal and how those connected.

Looking good @CapOnBOBS, and your work towards securing Terraversa is certainly going to make it hard for Oleon to be scraped off! :pir-laugh:

(Personally, OOC I hope this conflict ends with a heavily guarded DMZ between King's Port and Westface, as you all have put so much work into all of this!)

(IC the Count is on the warpath!!!)

I've got to say, the sloped sides transition excellently into the fortress, and there's not a detail I would change. Bravo! (And congrats on making it to front page!)

On 2/19/2021 at 6:18 PM, Mister Phes said:

The presentation is excellent aside from the fact the bottom corner is cut off and there's not much negative space (I.e. plain background) between the flag and top of the frame.

Thanks All and for the team for deeming Frontpage worthy! @Mister Phes, good note, my only thought on framing has been to max the zoom in the space provided, 'fill the screen with as much lego as possible without cutting it off too much'. This is a useful note.

3 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

my only thought on framing has been to max the zoom in the space provided, 'fill the screen with as much lego as possible without cutting it off too much'.

It's not a bad thought and for posting in the forum it doesn't look too bad! 

But we'd be interested in featuring this MOC on the Classic-Pirates.com Instagram in the future and images MOC work so much better when the MOC fits comfortably within the frame.

You have really been churning out some great designs. This is fantastic. The sloped walls and central bastion in particular are superb. It would make a really good set. :classic:

Awesome fort, too bad it is made of wood and easily flammable :)

Jokes aside, awesome details and nice angled walls. Great job.

Another great fort, this one has some really nice angles! 

Amazing wooden fort! Angles and lay-out are looking fantastic!

Only nitpick: the wooden walls looks too much copy paste. It is too bad it are rows of 4x1 stacked columns instead of a solid entity

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2021 at 6:49 PM, CapOnBOBS said:

the Red Coats and Green Coats ... each with an eye to partitioning Terraversa amongst themselves under the false pretext of "protection,"

Interesting comment. Neither Eslandola nor Corrington have said any such thing. Eslandola is a staunch ally of Terraversa as a sovereign nation and desires to see the entire island returned to the rightful rule of Archduke Oldis.

-------

That said, awesome fort! Good work with the angles, and the cannon shot is very well done.

Nice fort

BUT

I am worrying that in terms of gameplay it is a little "cheating" : as a such big fort in LDD is easier (and waaaay faster) to build than a real one! I'd add more : I wouldn't authorize building a fort in a non fully controlled territory like Terraversa is !

May I remind you there are rules to obtain the right to build a fort in a Settlement and you infringed them:

I am quoting the rules here, just in case :

There are seven levels of settlement. A settlement advances in level once it surpasses the maximum number of properties completed in the settlement and has achieved parity (see below). Below are the settlement types and statistics:

Settlement Size Level Number of Properties Maximum Number of Fortresses Mayor's Pay Raid Worth in % of Town Bank Trade Value Modifier Militia Size by Crew Attribute Natural Settlement Growth Rate
Hamlet 1 <11 1 5DB 20% 90% 0 0
Town 2 11 - 30 2 10DB 30% 80% 0 0
Large Town 4 31 - 60 3 20DB 40% 70% 1 3%
City 8 61 - 100 4 35DB 50% 60% 2 4%
Large City 16 101 - 175 5 45DB 55% 50% 4 5%
Grand City 32 176 - 300 6 60DB 60% 40% 8 6%
Capital City 64 >300 7 70DB 70% 30% 16 7%

Property size will be taken into account following this chart.

Type Value added to overall Trade Value Counts as how many Properties for Settlement Size
MOC, not licensed, not comparable to a licensed Property 2 0
Small Property or any unlicensed MOC similar to the Properties listed in the EGS 5 1
Medium Property licensed 10 2
Large Property licensed 15 3
Royal Property licensed 30 10
Prospecting Builds 0 0
Mines 10 2

@Bregir @Ayrlego @Capt Wolf @Professor Thaum

I am claiming this fort out of the rules ! I demand it's dismantlement (well for counting the troups and defenses of the Oleon position :pir-grin:)

Going forward, please bring up such concerns with your faction leader, who can then take it to court.

In my immediate evaluation, this fort is perfectly justifiable. The original small fort was destroyed in the attack, and as a hamlet or larger, a settlement can have at least one fort. Tarlor has been established as a town earlier in the TER adventure. The build shows, to me, sufficient effort, exceeds stud count with a margin, and OL will have to pay for both licensing and upkeep. Should we determine that subpar mocs are being pumped out to boost any faction in any way, we will of course, intervene.

Should you disagree, ask your leaders to take it up in court, and we will discuss it, but the above is my position on the matter for now.

Same rules apply to all, and if mocs are made, forts can be constructed in TER settlements too.

5 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Going forward, please bring up such concerns with your faction leader, who can then take it to court.

In my immediate evaluation, this fort is perfectly justifiable. The original small fort was destroyed in the attack, and as a hamlet or larger, a settlement can have at least one fort. Tarlor has been established as a town earlier in the TER adventure. The build shows, to me, sufficient effort, exceeds stud count with a margin, and OL will have to pay for both licensing and upkeep. Should we determine that subpar mocs are being pumped out to boost any faction in any way, we will of course, intervene.

Should you disagree, ask your leaders to take it up in court, and we will discuss it, but the above is my position on the matter for now.

Same rules apply to all, and if mocs are made, forts can be constructed in TER settlements too.

Alright I sh... my mouth then... even if I find the size isn't appropriate for a hamlet and still thinking using LDD to spawn fort is an easy way to turn the rules.

I will stop complaining and start building a fleet... we will see if this thing can support an well conduct assault :cannon:  :pir-skel:

10 minutes ago, Faladrin said:

even if I find the size isn't appropriate for a hamlet

Faladrin, not sure if you saw it or not, but fort rules were updated in Feb 2017 and fort size restrictions dependant on settlement levels were removed. Update was announced here. And the Fort section of the By Land rules was updated around the same time. I know it can be hard for those of us who have been around since the beginning to keep track of how many times things have changed!!