Sign in to follow this  
Keymonus

[OL-FB-Prospecting] Monsieur le Filon

Somewhere near Fort Arltrees, February 621, El Oleonda

A very few things attract people more than the smell of gold. And, when a new island is colonized, gold is the first thing people look for.

On El Oleonda, some colonists are trying to find the traces of Monsieur le Filon, the large ore that any "earth scratcher" hopes to find.
Many miners spend their whole life chasing this dream, finding just enough metal to carry on one more week - each time the last week before giving up, until the umpteenth tiny nugget makes them change their mind. But, for a few lucky ones, the good day arrives: they find a rich ore of gold or silver, they meet Monsieur le Filon, and their life changes.

50943107443_32b2a8dd3e_b.jpg

There are several days to look for an ore of gold (or silver, or anything valuable), some more effective than others... from making offers to Hades and following his signs to systematically collecting and smelting small samples of rocks.
Here, one of the aspiring miners is washing some sand from a riverbank in a pan. When he finds a reasonable number of gold flakes (or something he mistook for them), his fellows start digging uphill: if they find nuggets, or if the dirt contains some gold bits, they mark the position with a wooden pole.

50943808241_cd2fcb5ded_b.jpg

Proceeding further uphill, if the prospectors are lucky, the poles will converge to a single point... the point where to start a mine!

50943907307_9e5fef33a4_b.jpg

---------------------

A simple prospecting build for Fort Arltrees. The technique for finding the ore and the title of the thread are both vaguely inspired by an episode of the film The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, in which an old miner does something similar to find "Mr. Pocket", a rich gold vein. 

Edited by Keymonus

I second the others for the water effect, hope these guys could find what they are looking for.

Good story with nice photos. The faces of the 3 reminds me a little at "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". The landscape would match that too.

@Keymonus Congratulations! The Gods have indeed been good and it seems El Oleonda's reputation for riches is well founded! The intrepid miners have struck gold!

Excellent Terrain and foliage Keymonus. The scene is excellent, and works quite well,

Thank you guys! Water was definitely the best part :classic:

On 2/17/2021 at 2:07 PM, CapOnBOBS said:

Orient Expedition torso. 

Yes, some of them (especially the Indian/Oriental ones can be very useful!

On 2/20/2021 at 12:43 AM, Ayrlego said:

@Keymonus Congratulations! The Gods have indeed been good and it seems El Oleonda's reputation for riches is well founded! The intrepid miners have struck gold!

Excellent news (and thank you for the quick response)! I’ll surely build a mine as soon as possible (so in the next turn)!