Sign in to follow this  
Tube Map Central

Suggestions for modelling accurate clerestory?

Clerestory was a standard feature on early London Tube trains as a way of ventilating the car and providing extra headroom on the tiny trains:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_Standard_Stock#/media/File%3A1927_Standard_Stock_L134.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_Standard_Stock#/media/File:London_Underground_tube_coach_(CJ_Allen,_Steel_Highway,_1928).jpg

Any suggestions for modelling that internal raised central section in Lego, preferably with curved slopes. I'm working 8-wide.

That is a difficult curve. For the clerestory itself I would think 1x2x2/3 or 1x4x2/3 curved slopes

93273.jpg

Then for the rest of the roof, either the family of 8 wide airplane parts, which look like they might preserve the corner between the roof and walls

54095.png 61487.pngetc.

or the classic arches, that would give a non-prototypical continuous curve between the roof and walls but might be easier to work with

14830.png

Did start a GWR clerestory some time ago (although in 7 wide) and thought this wouldn't be so much different.

Came up with something similar to what others have suggested:

clerestory2.jpg

Just use some sort of hinges or plates with clips and handles to connect the angled roof. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by ScotNick

Here is my attempt:

962524530_LEGOLUStandardStock(front).jpg.7a54b174f9eaa380a02f58a9adbb3b5d.jpg907823590_LEGOLUStandardStock(frontleft).jpg.b13d0892a5156acef9105754f97bbe74.jpg

I was just messing around with the idea last night and got this far as an example.  (Colors are not meant to be accurate with any known liveries on LU Standard Stock.)  This is using cylindrical panel 30562 for the main raised part, which provides a fairly fine lip at the transition to the outer roof.  For most known liveries, suitable colors it comes in would be light bluish gray, tan (for cream color), or dark red (to possibly emulate brown).  Round 4x4 tile 27507 matches the panel curve on front end to cover the studs.  I left the side walls straight vertical at 8-wide - as a result, the intentional small overhang of the roof side edge sticks out about one tile thickness extra on both sides.  On the prototype there is a very slight inward angle starting below the windows, but this seemed unnecessarily complicated to replicate in 8-wide scale.  Scale reasonably fits 9v train motor on the motor end as shown.  You may prefer to cheat the overall length, as the real thing is somewhere around 50 feet long, I believe.  (Unless you just want a nice display model.)  I was building roughly to accurate scale length up to the point I stopped.

If you are trying to accurately model the London Underground Standard Stock, the basic roof shape is only part of your battle.  There are a number of other detail spots along the roof which would be difficult to insert.  If you're simply looking for inspiration for similar models, or aren't worried about the finer details, then maybe my example is suitably inspirational.

Someone did a 6-wide here a while back:

MOC: Vintage London Underground Tube Train - LEGO Train Tech - Eurobricks Forums

The roof components are all done with slopes more like the method you were suggesting.  You can see in their model the problem any build would face of the end color matching the rest of the front end, as they've obviously painted the end face of the roof parts red.  I can't see any other good way around this except making your own stickers.

Happy building,

Kris

Thanks for all the suggestions, and especially people who mocked something up, really appreciated. That Standard Stock model would look really nice finished!

One of the advantages of minifigure anatomy is that they are very short, this means that when I worked out the profile, there was no need to give extra head room in the middle, if they can sit down they can stand up!

profile.jpeg

And that is just as well, because now I have mocked up a prototype, it is obvious that a lot of strength in the car is going to have to come from the roof.