Sign in to follow this  
doomguy

Metalbeard Theme?

I was thinking about how Pirates could return to Lego, I don't think Pirates of the Caribbean is getting anymore installments and I'm still unsure of how Barracuda Bay's and the 3 in 1 Pirate Ship sold, but I was thinking...

If Lego Castle could (awkwardly) return with Nexo Knights, what if Lego tried a similar approach with Pirates? What if they used Metalbeard from The Lego Movie to form a vaguely steampunk look? I suppose they've already done something similar with Ninjago, but maybe if they could build upon the ideas shown in the Sea Cow and Heavy Metal Motor Trike sets... I'm just forming random ideas... I'd prefer to see a proper traditional revival, but there's no harm in brainstorming. :pir-classic:

Well, since the LEGO Movie came out years ago... it's highly unlikely. See- LEGO doesn't produce sets based on a movie after the movie is out of theaters. (With the exception of Star Wars and Harry Potter.) This applies to TV shows as well. ( E. G. Star Wars: The Clone Wars sets have only been produced while the show is running.) It's unfortunate, but that probably isn't going to happen. It would be cool though. 

Well didn't Unikitty receive her own line of sets and Cartoon Network shorts? It wouldn't be too hard to imagine Lego giving Metalbeard some love.

59 minutes ago, doomguy said:

If Lego Castle could (awkwardly) return with Nexo Knights, what if Lego tried a similar approach with Pirates? What if they used Metalbeard from The Lego Movie to form a vaguely steampunk look?

:pir-sick::pir-sick::pir-sick::pir-sick::pir-sick:

At a later time I may verbalise this into something more intelligible.

15 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

:pir-sick::pir-sick::pir-sick::pir-sick::pir-sick:

At a later time I may verbalise this into something more intelligible.

:hmpf::hmpf::hmpf::hmpf: 

Nexo Knights wasn't THAT bad.... 

10 minutes ago, doomguy said:

Nexo Knights wasn't THAT bad.... 

That's a matter of perspective.

If you're a Classic purist then it's a bastardization of one the core LEGO themes, which in recent times, has infiltrated other "Classic Era" themes. E.g. Ninja's modern incarnation, Ninjago.

But that's not say they're bad, rather;  infusing technology and history is more appealing to the younger generations, hence why there are perennial Ninjago set releases. I.e. the sales are strong in the target demographics.

6 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

That's a matter of perspective.

If you're a Classic purist then it's a bastardization of one the core LEGO themes, which in recent times, has infiltrated other "Classic Era" themes. E.g. Ninja's modern incarnation, Ninjago.

But that's not say they're bad, rather;  infusing technology and history is more appealing to the younger generations, hence why there are perennial Ninjago set releases. I.e. the sales are strong in the target demographics.

I'm not a Classic purist, I view all of these Castle themes separately and I interpret them for what context they are set in. Castle is such a fundamental part of LEGO so I think we are bound to get different reimagined versions of it in the future. Nexo Knights is weird and strays far from it's original foundation, but that's why I find it vaguely interesting. I don't see it as a bastardization of a core LEGO theme, more of a one off experiment in a theme that has been around forever.

Classic characters like Batman have been interpreted time and time again in different contexts, like in the future or in the past or whatever, so why is a one off experiment for Castle by Lego that sinful?

1 hour ago, doomguy said:

Classic characters like Batman have been interpreted time and time again in different contexts, like in the future or in the past or whatever, so why is a one off experiment for Castle by Lego that sinful?

I wasn't saying it was sinful, rather this approach (infusing history and technology) doesn't appeal to Classic purists like myself.

We'd prefer to see the classic themes reimagined for a modern audience... and that was achieved quite successfully with Pirates of Barracuda Bay.

The new aesthetic has inspired AFOLs to create MOCs and new versions of classic sets in that same building style. So we'd prefer to see more official sets continuing along that trajectory, rather than taking the SciFi or action figure path.

Isn't POBB selling better than the Sea Cow did? I get the impression it is more popular. I imagine if another character gets a spin out series after Unikitty, it would be Benny.

I would be all for a Metal-Beard Centric LEGO TV series!  Call it something like "The Adventures of Captain Metal Beard, and the Pit-Crew!" Or something like that.

EDIT: OOH, I GOT A MOC I KNOW YOU MIGHT GET A KICK OUT OF, ONE SEC...

steelbeard.jpg

"CAPTAIN STEEL-BEARD!" The Se-1 Ep-1 Bad guy in the Pitch episode! Airs more on the side of cartoon villainy, "Metalbeard's Good, so I must be Bad!" kind of logic.

Honestly, if we're talking spinoffs, I would be (and still am all for) a Lego BAD-COP Spinoff Movie; Possibly a riff on the old Police Academy Films, where after the Super-Secret-Policeforce had been disbanded, somewhere between the LEGO Movie 1 and 2, Bad-Cop has to train a bunch of Master-Builders to be part of the new and improved Super-Secret Precinct, and go up against The Brickster and his gang of criminals (pooling from Pirate, Space Police 3, Cowboys, and Lego City Baddies)

Going a little further, I'm more for the Pieces parts in Lego Ninjago and Nexo-Knights, not the Plot. Just wish they released the Underwater sets, or introduced some... wierd Sci-Fi Alien-Skeleton-Coral-Reef Pirates, or something for me to piece-poach off of before they decided to jump to the final wave.

Edited by JeffBuilds