ritztoys

My T17 in Honor of Ingmar Spijkhoven

Mack Granite Dump Truck T17

Fellow builders and collectors this post and creation came about with my extra time home during the Covid19 pandemic.

I've been playing/creating LEGO for over 45 years and have enjoyed every minute. I began assembling kits and getting familiar with all the LEGO pieces and eventually got bored with kits and thus began my creative talents. From my experience of using LEGO they're of a predictable size, so as they say; "A picture is worth a thousand words". This statement was my challenge to be able to build(sort of in the beginning) LEGO creations from pictures.

One of my early "reverse engineering" models was of Jennifer Clark's Excavator and Skid Steer Loader, they were huge challenges for me but I stuck to it, you know the drill; assemble...ck function....take apart....assemble again.....take apart....check looks....dang, somethings in the way.....take apart....assemble!

This method of construction madness was how this model came about.

Ingmar Spijkhoven was a good friend of mine, we conversed on a few projects together and I was honored to assist and 'beta build' his Polar Trailer before he released instructions.
Now we all know Ingmar produced some of the most beautiful LEGO Semi-Trucks and Trailers ever designed, I think all builders can agree on the looks and (not including the playability) are the best.
I was very excited in 2014 of his 'teaser photo' of a new and upcoming truck soon to be available, unfortunately Ingmar passed before he was able to release the instructions for this truck.

So with the extra time at home I took up the challenge to build this truck in Ingmar's honor, I hope he approves.....

(I've included some photos of some details I had to guess at, as the photo I had showed no internal parts) 

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

These two photos show some details of the drive train to the lift box and some clearance issues builders will face with the truck's drive-line and all the other moving liftarm links.

** Some more photos @ my bricksafe for further details **

Edited by ritztoys
additional info

23 hours ago, Shiva said:

Nice build :)

18 hours ago, caiman0637 said:

Nice!

14 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Very nice. :thumbup:

Thank-you fellow builders, was a lot of fun figuring everything out and am pleased how the truck turned out.

11 hours ago, Merlict said:

That's awesome. It looks like a Tonka truck but in a good way

Thank-you for the compliment. This was one truck I didn't have in my Semi-Truck collection and with Ingmar's spirit looking over me, I continued building until I(we) were satisfied!

Wow! This looks great! I’m sure Ingmar would be impressed as well. Do you plan to release instructions?

Edited by mnpumar

7 hours ago, mnpumar said:

Wow! This looks great! I’m sure Ingmar would be impressed as well. Do you plan to release instructions?

Thank-you for the compliment. Unfortunately @mnpumar I won't be making any instructions and Ingmar wasn't able to get any completed before he passed.

If you have instructions for Ingmar's Mack Truck, that's a good starting point. You will have to lengthen the chassis by a 1x6 Tech Brick long and change the 'pivot' support @ the rear of the suspension, so there will be clearance for the 'Dump Body Lift Arms' to fold on top of this change.(very tight in there!).

The Linear Actuator is the shorter one combined with the aforementioned Lift Arms and the location of a lower pivot helps this whole mechanism work much better in lifting the Dump Body.

@Coolusername I can only suggest that you save up your $$ to purchase ANY of Ingmar's kits, with all the parts included. The best part is you will have everything needed to build a complete truck.

Or only purchase Ingmar's building instructions, either way you will really enjoy building your own Semi-Truck ( & trailer too)

I've built almost every one of his trucks from mostly my own brick supplies, this will save lots of $$. So you will have only a few elements to purchase that you might not own.

@ritztoysDid you buy a full kit yourself?

Iam sure they are worth it, since they are basically a small series from a talented builder which gone too early, with all the expense behind it (getting the parts, old PF stuff, chrome stuff, printing the box and instructions etc...)

But it's still a lot of money...

Getting only the instructions would be an option, but i don't even have half the parts needed i guess, and getting them will still be like 400 bucks and takes a long time.

Then there is the chrome. Seems really expensive to me (optional, i know). I bought custom chromed pieces from a german BL store called ChromeBricks (now Brick24) about 10 years ago, but i don't have much of those and they don't make them anymore.

I think the people behind the current Ingmar site get them from custombricks.nl??

I wonder if they will still sell these kits in the future. They have a limited run i guess, and nobody is designing new trucks anymore...

I might get the cheapest, the Mack Granite

Edited by Coolusername

@Coolusername When I started building these trucks, maybe around 10-15 years ago, Ingmar only had Building Instructions on a now canceled website. Then he 'branched out' and started adding the Chrome parts for his trucks and soon after that he began offering full kits to his followers.

Well......having 1/2 the parts for any of his trucks is a positive thing (for you) just keep gathering and look forward to begin building. Heck.....maybe only build the chassis and suspension with the motor. You could even build a "static model" and enjoy it's beauty before saving up for the bodywork.

It's all your choice how you approach building these trucks and having a beautiful collection some day!

I display nine of his designs and three of my own MOC's based on his creations every year @ Brickworld Indy, which are great to see all together!

(all the folks attending the show seeing these really love 'em)

4 hours ago, ritztoys said:

@Coolusername I can only suggest that you save up your $$ to purchase ANY of Ingmar's kits, with all the parts included. The best part is you will have everything needed to build a complete truck.

Or only purchase Ingmar's building instructions, either way you will really enjoy building your own Semi-Truck ( & trailer too)

I've built almost every one of his trucks from mostly my own brick supplies, this will save lots of $$. So you will have only a few elements to purchase that you might not own.

I think i go the lazy way and buy the whole thing. How long would shipping take from NL to GER, maybe you know?

My part collection isn't thaaat big nor really usefull, though.

Edited by Coolusername

4 hours ago, Coolusername said:

@ritztoysDid you buy a full kit yourself?

I might get the cheapest, the Mack Granite

No, as I mentioned I was building when Ingmar released BI for his Red, White, & Blue Semi (T2) Kids seeing this truck gave it a name at my display as........." Optimus Prime " because it resembled that character.

Purchasing the Mack Granite BI or the kit, you will thoroughly enjoy as the suspension is a newer version, compared to Optimus Prime with an older type of suspension.(works just fine too)

Yes, LEGO can be pretty expensive, just purchase a little at a time, don't be impatient..........it's all about the enjoyment of collecting everything then building.......

I can't comment on shipping times in the EU, although Ingmar shipped to me in the USA very quickly. just be patient, you'll be really happy!

Edited by ritztoys
extra answer

I mean i could purchase all the parts in one go, either from the kit site or bricklink, doesn't matter. But sometimes you don't want to afford things you could actually afford easily...

And impatient is my second name LOL :D

@ritztoysOn the website the mack granite is available in yellow and orange.

The orange one is available with RC or without, but the yellow one just says full kit or without. Is full kit and full kit with RC the same? Has the same price as well...

Also, are the rear axles driven independently by two drive trains? And if so, is this only with the Granite, or also with the Vision?

Edited by Coolusername

5 hours ago, Coolusername said:

I mean i could purchase all the parts in one go, either from the kit site or bricklink, doesn't matter. But sometimes you don't want to afford things you could actually afford easily...

And impatient is my second name LOL :D

@ritztoysOn the website the mack granite is available in yellow and orange.

The orange one is available with RC or without, but the yellow one just says full kit or without. Is full kit and full kit with RC the same? Has the same price as well...

Also, are the rear axles driven independently by two drive trains? And if so, is this only with the Granite, or also with the Vision?

I'm going to guess here, knowing how Ingmar thought.(I never purchased any kits from him, only BI) The Kits with RC contain the proper parts for remote control ie.(motors, receivers, battery box etc.) The Non-RC models kits don't contain those parts, so you might say these kits(w/o RC parts) will be static models. In my book these types of models are "shelf Queens", only to look and appreciate them.

Both of those models have dual drive shafts, that start 'splitting' under the cab of the truck though a small gearbox, as does this model I built.

Nothing wrong with that, I like my creations to move and do stuff!

Again "Full KIt" would only mean, only parts for a shelf model (like LEGO kits are, except Technic, which almost always does stuff!)

I think for you to really appreciate any LEGO model, you need to change your second name! lol! (just kidding, I was like that early on)

Don't rush the experience of building, for me it's kind of a meditative thing, always calming and a great focus to let all things in life just become secondary.........

13 minutes ago, ritztoys said:

I'm going to guess here, knowing how Ingmar thought.(I never purchased any kits from him, only BI) The Kits with RC contain the proper parts for remote control ie.(motors, receivers, battery box etc.) The Non-RC models kits don't contain those parts, so you might say these kits(w/o RC parts) will be static models. In my book these types of models are "shelf Queens", only to look and appreciate them.

Both of those models have dual drive shafts, that start 'splitting' under the cab of the truck though a small gearbox, as does this model I built.

Nothing wrong with that, I like my creations to move and do stuff!

Again "Full KIt" would only mean, only parts for a shelf model (like LEGO kits are, except Technic, which almost always does stuff!)

I think for you to really appreciate any LEGO model, you need to change your second name! lol! (just kidding, I was like that early on)

Don't rush the experience of building, for me it's kind of a meditative thing, always calming and a great focus to let all things in life just become secondary.........

There are 3 options for the granite

full kit

full kit with rc

full kit without rc

Full kit and full kit with rc must be the same, they also cost the same...

Anyway, i ordered the yellow Granite and a blue RGN trailer both without RC. *oh2*

I have some RC stuff at home, and the things i don't have i might order from BlueBrixx

Expensive Month...:ugh:

5 hours ago, Coolusername said:

Anyway, i ordered the yellow Granite and a blue RGN trailer both without RC. *oh2*

I have some RC stuff at home, and the things i don't have i might order from BlueBrixx

Expensive Month...:ugh:

Hooray for you!!  :thumbup:

I'm glad you "pulled the trigger" and ordered a Semi & Trailer. Now your 'future project' should be, what kind of load can I put on the Trailer?  :wink:

Well i have the Volvo wheelloader and dump truck, the all terrain crane, the 2013 big crane, the MB Arocs and a custom build truck i made a decade ago (looks weird and engine and interior is still missing, but it's got chrome parts and an Ingmar fifth wheel).