Dorino

[MOC] Adventure Truck - Powered Up

Hello everyone! 

Adventurers theme is one of my all time favorite Lego themes. Various vehicles have always drawn my attention, especially the ones with tan and dark gray color schemes. Over last few years i created few versions of adventurers cars and today i present you yet another one, this time Powered Up one.

Before i get into the details ill quickly explain design process. It's been a while since the last time i created any remote controlled car so i decided to try Powered Up components. 

After mocking up simple chassis i realised it will need to be truck because of the size of all the components. The rear of the truck needed to be bigger because of the battery box so first idea that came to my mind was 2017 Jungle Mobile Lab set.

PXL_20210215_164818946

Before i swapped to tan i actually tried bright light orange but didn't like it.

PXL_20210213_115052279

The finished model starts with 6 studs wide and then changes to 7 and finally to 8. Rear mudguards are 10 studs wide.

PXL_20210215_165751138

The roof of the truck is loaded with various crates, gas canister and other small items. You also get kayak and motorcycle!

PXL_20210215_165342613

The other side of the rear features two storage units.

PXL_20210215_165315683

I am not to happy with the front axle. Because of the steering it required more space for movement - meaning less details.

PXL_20210215_165434207

The front and back can be easily detached, i am planning to make various "versions" for that chassis, for example fire truck, ambulance or military vehicle.

PXL_20210215_164954046

Here is the short video of the truck driving

50947038271_a696f40124_b.jpg20210215_153426 by Wiktor Boroń, on Flickr

Hope you like it! few more photos on my Flickr Page

Bonus : This is how the truck looks while it drives off the desk :blush:

PXL_20210214_150624067

Edited by Dorino

It looks fantastic! If I only had a picture of the complete model to go off of, I would've had no idea that it was RC. I really like the way you attached all that equipment on the outside.

12 hours ago, Dorino said:

PXL_20210215_165315683

No, don't show the code for unlocking secret level in Lego City Undercover!:grin: But really it's an amazing model, well done.

Thanks for the comments!

On 2/16/2021 at 7:59 AM, Jack Sassy said:

No, don't show the code for unlocking secret level in Lego City Undercover!:grin: But really it's an amazing model, well done.

I never knew that! I got that tile in some Lego bulk from auction. Looked like license plate for me. :laugh:

14 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Awesome! This looks like something Baron von Barron would buy with the treasure he...er..."liberates." :wink:

Oh yes, that years of work has finally paid off! Think i should start working on another one 

Excellent details and a great way to pack up everything into a small footprint.

A question, if I may. I noticed you are using the simple medium linear motor (which has no position feedback - the medium linear motor has that but that is a bit thicker) for steering, without a clutch gear. How does it work in practice? Do you have to pay attention to the movement and stop turning before the gear rack reaches the end of it's movement? What happens if you keep on turning?

I like the bonus picture:P I have had the same experience with a larger half-track truck that I made a while ago, but my brother had the remote:)

Hello again and sorry for rather late reply. Thanks for all the comments!

I wasn't fully satisfied with how the steering worked so i ordered two Technic Plate 1 x 6 with Toothed Ends and they finally arrived. 

PXL_20210315_130622155

On 2/18/2021 at 9:14 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow, it would be wonderful to see a video of this gem in action :wub: ...clearly not for drive off the desk! :laugh:

There is a short clip of the truck in motion in the first post :)

On 2/22/2021 at 11:47 AM, ark0 said:

Excellent details and a great way to pack up everything into a small footprint.

A question, if I may. I noticed you are using the simple medium linear motor (which has no position feedback - the medium linear motor has that but that is a bit thicker) for steering, without a clutch gear. How does it work in practice? Do you have to pay attention to the movement and stop turning before the gear rack reaches the end of it's movement? What happens if you keep on turning?

I am sure by now you have all the answers. I followed  RacingBrick video on how to create simple steering in Powered Up app. Like you said, the M motor does not have position feedback so you do need to pay attention to the movement. Once the gear rack reaches the end of it's movement the motor just stops, no tooth skipping. 

The simple Powred Up profile looks like this 

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-HvEIpNM4m5yI

On 2/23/2021 at 2:25 PM, Evan-Eleven the Engineer said:

I like the bonus picture:P I have had the same experience with a larger half-track truck that I made a while ago, but my brother had the remote:)

Sorry to hear that! Because i spent all the time designing the model it only took few minutes to put it back together from memory :)

Edited by Dorino

Świetny model, powinieneś się nim i kilkoma innymi pochwalić na Lugpolu :)

Ja robię modele z tymi kółkami w zbliżonej skali, tylko z samych technic'ów, ale użycie systemowych klocków pozwala na ładne dopracowanie, to widać w twoich modelach.