Sariel

42121 Heavy Duty Excavator [VIDEO REVIEW]

A surprisingly good set here. I'm really impressed by how LEGO managed to make such a relatively small set look so realistic.

Edited by Sariel

7 minutes ago, efferman said:

The Quarter ellipse piece is a completely new piece, why only mentioned as a new colour?

I think he mentioned it in black in 42125 set...

1 minute ago, efferman said:

which is released nearly at the same time.

Few months...

27 minutes ago, efferman said:

The Quarter ellipse piece is a completely new piece, why only mentioned as a new colour?

In terms of release date, there's a 3 months difference between the set 42125 introducing this part and the 42121 re-using it. Even Bricklink, which isn't usually particularly fast about new pieces, added it at the beginning of January: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=71708#T=C&C=11

Edited by Sariel

2 minutes ago, Sariel said:

It was new 3 months ago

Release was january the first, six weeks from now. The release of 42121 is March the first. A difference of two months is close enough to call it a new part.

Great review! I was pretty sure it was going to get a good rating.

2 hours ago, efferman said:

Release was january the first, six weeks from now. The release of 42121 is March the first. A difference of two months is close enough to call it a new part.

I beg to differ. On a principle, I don't mark part as new if it's been added to Bricklink already. You have to draw a line somewhere and this seems more objective than some arbitrary timespan. I mean, there are people to whom PF extension wires are new.

21 minutes ago, efferman said:

So when bricklink is Listing it before Release, it is not new?

Never seen it happen, but should such case happen, of course I'll treat it as a new. Let it go.

Very nice review, thanks a lot :-)

What puzzles me is why the knobs are placed in that order (back end and right side). Does it feel better from a playability standpoint? I would have unterstand to both place them in the back OR left and right side. It even feels like they surely had the shovel operation separated from the front boom at some point but it because of complexity or design purposes.

9 minutes ago, Sariel said:

Let it go.

Amen to that.

Back on topic: Nice review, seems like a surprisingly good set, at least for it's size/prize. My kids will definately love it, not too small, not too big, not too complicated, perfectly playable! Looks like waiting for the March release was worth it! And a nice parts pack as well with some interesting new shapes and colors. I need some yellow parts for a MOC I'm working on...

Edit: @Jundis maybe it is to 'stabilize' the digger during playing, by holding it in two directions: left-right movement 'locked' by right side knob, forward-backward movement 'locked' by holding the back knob. It is also easier to hold these with both hands (and operate them simultaneously) compared to two knobs on the same side. 

Edited by Rudivdk

Bucket curl is disappointing, B model without the backhoe still looks like the pick of the models.
The recoloured buckets from this and the black curved gear racks would look good on a recoloured BWE.
Am I the only one that'd rather see a 61408 1x3 crank liftarm with a 2L pin connector attached as manual controls, rather than 12 tooth gears?