Mister Phes

Exceptionally good LEGO Pirate Photography - NEW Images added October 27

On 5/14/2022 at 8:21 AM, brimbolet said:

My small nephew has never seen Lego pirates until recently at my place, and after showing him all the fantastic pictures in this thread he's simply beyond himself.

That's wonderful news!

May I ask how old the lad is?

3 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

That's wonderful news!

May I ask how old the lad is?

Around 7; just at the beginning of his Pirate adventure. :pir-wink: 

On 5/23/2022 at 6:33 AM, Mister Phes said:

"Captain Sabretooth" by Legofjotten on Instagram.

That ship in the background, I have seen it before but I don't know who is the builder. (I don't see it in Legofjotten portfolio on Instagram).

Do you know the original author?

19 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

That ship in the background, I have seen it before but I don't know who is the builder. (I don't see it in Legofjotten portfolio on Instagram).

Do you know the original author?

reminds me a bit of this one:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-110420/Captain.Barbatos/the-terrifying-charons-chest/#details

but maybe only the big skull thing… 😀

On 7/24/2021 at 12:55 PM, Lyichir said:

While these are absolutely gorgeous... I get why Lego tends to opt for something less artsy and more representative of the actual products in their catalogs these days. Something like these would make amazing prints or posters though!

I can see the benefits of just simply showcasing the product so you can easily see what you're getting, but this old artwork really got my imagination going. It still does when I look at it. When I was a kid, I'd carry my magazines and catalogs with me everywhere I went, and I'd spend countless hours looking at these pictures, imagining all sorts of adventures. I couldn't afford the sets back then, so I really appreciated the free magazines. I think kids today would also get a lot more excited about the products if they were able to see them through the same lens we did with this terrific artwork. I've actually been thinking recently that it would be great if they'd release new issues of Mania Magazine to go alongside sets like Pirates of the Barracuda Bay and The Lion Knights Castle. I would love to see official artwork similar to this old stuff with the new sets, as well as the return of the Lego Maniac. (Imagine how cool it would be to have a new fan submissions page!)

On 7/7/2022 at 8:20 PM, jodawill said:

I can see the benefits of just simply showcasing the product so you can easily see what you're getting, but this old artwork really got my imagination going. It still does when I look at it. When I was a kid, I'd carry my magazines and catalogs with me everywhere I went, and I'd spend countless hours looking at these pictures, imagining all sorts of adventures. I couldn't afford the sets back then, so I really appreciated the free magazines. I think kids today would also get a lot more excited about the products if they were able to see them through the same lens we did with this terrific artwork. I've actually been thinking recently that it would be great if they'd release new issues of Mania Magazine to go alongside sets like Pirates of the Barracuda Bay and The Lion Knights Castle. I would love to see official artwork similar to this old stuff with the new sets, as well as the return of the Lego Maniac. (Imagine how cool it would be to have a new fan submissions page!)

I agree - the catalogues from the early 90’s were great for that. You’d get a double page spread with all the sets together but a lot of action shots of minifigs in the foreground. I wish Lego would make some jigsaws of these dioramas, rather than the jigsaws they currently offer.

This is such a good thread, want to do some shots of my Pirates Of Barracuda Bay and this is giving me so much inspiration!

On 7/18/2022 at 4:05 AM, lifeinplastic said:

I agree - the catalogues from the early 90’s were great for that. You’d get a double page spread with all the sets together but a lot of action shots of minifigs in the foreground. I wish Lego would make some jigsaws of these dioramas, rather than the jigsaws they currently offer.

Those catalogues provided me with hours of joy. I’d spend so much time looking at the exquisite layouts, dreaming of creating something similar one day. LEGO was such a huge part of my life until the age of about 14 in 1996 when I entered my dark age, and when I wasn’t building terrible, terrible MOCs only a kid would be proud of, playing with my Clipper, Renegade Runner, Eldorado Fortress and Lagoon Lockup, I would be looking at those catalogues. I’d ogle them for hours until they’d fall apart, around such time text year’s version would be out. I would love it if LEGO did make those photos available either as posters, or bettter yet a hard back photo book. The photos in this thread are lovely and remind me of those catalogues so much.

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

Marco's photography was much of the reason I created this topic in the first place. :pir-stareyes:

Ever since ye mentioned it, I noticed that indeed first pictures published in this topic are by him. And rightly so, he has some beautiful photography. :pir-wub:

13 hours ago, Pirate_King_1982 said:

Those catalogues provided me with hours of joy. I’d spend so much time looking at the exquisite layouts, dreaming of creating something similar one day. LEGO was such a huge part of my life until the age of about 14 in 1996 when I entered my dark age, and when I wasn’t building terrible, terrible MOCs only a kid would be proud of, playing with my Clipper, Renegade Runner, Eldorado Fortress and Lagoon Lockup, I would be looking at those catalogues. I’d ogle them for hours until they’d fall apart, around such time text year’s version would be out. I would love it if LEGO did make those photos available either as posters, or bettter yet a hard back photo book. The photos in this thread are lovely and remind me of those catalogues so much.

I turned 13 in 1996 and that was also the start of my brief Dark Ages. Prior to that though I always used to love getting the catalogue (no Internet in those days so you’d only see any new sets when they appeared in the catalogue)! My favourite was probably when Paradisa was first introduced as I loved to create holiday (vacation island) settings, which is partly why I had a lot of Pirates set for the palm trees. I never did get any Paradisa but the catalogue pics made it look like such a great place! Got back into Lego in 1999 when Star Wars was released - not because of the theme but the Land Speeder was the first set to include blonde and grey minifigure hair, which always bothered me as a kid!