Sign in to follow this  
Skalldyr

Ishizuki Bonsai Tree

Hi all!
Ishizuki is a style in which the tree is rooted wholly within (atop or on the sides of) a large rock. Most of the time the roots are exposed and visible.

50933339192_ecaf1941eb_b.jpg

50933339047_6b15806e01_b.jpg

50933338942_3d801b6f5b_b.jpg

When I saw all the different bonsai trees that are visible in the background of the Lego designer video of the new bonsai tree set I wanted to build my own bonsai tree. At the beginning of this project I was thinking of the right pot to "plant" the tree in. By chance I found this large Belville swimming pool that was perfect for a bonsai pot. It has a very striking color and a special form that gives a nice contrast to the brown and earthy tones of the bench and tree.

While going through my Belville collection I realised that the legs and arms of the figures are pretty nice to form tree branches. Sadly, they are not that easy to connect to anything in the Lego system. But I tried out a lot of connections and in the end found connection points for all different joints.

The result is this bonsai tree.

Build for the "Build a Bonsai" competition at Brickset

I think I need to keep on experimenting with these Belville joints. They are fun to mess around with :grin:

Best
 Skalldyr

That is a most excellent bonsai! Incredibly creative use of the Belville limbs and pool, that has gotta be one of the most creative parts usages I've ever seen. The trunk build is really great as well. Absolutely fantastic design.

Really great build, Ishizuki is one of my favourite bonsai forms.

I wonder how many fairies were dismembered for the roots and upper branches? :laugh:

Great work! But it seems creepy to me knowing it was made with "human" arms and legs. Still looks great though.