Sam Sinister

Petition to enable more user group badges.

Hello, guys and gals.

I am currently seeking interest in subcaterogy user groups for users. They will appear at the bottom of your main user group. Here are some suggestions:

TFOL (Teenager Fan of Lego): 13 - 18 years old

SFOL (Senior Fan of Lego): 50+ years old

OFOL (Old Fan of Lego): Lego fans who have been a fan for more than 7.5 years

SOFOL (Super Old Fan of Lego): Lego fans who have been a fan for more than 15 years.

Local: Lego fans living in US, Canada, UK (Includes England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland), Australia, and New Zealand

Foreign: Lego fans NOT living in US, Canada, UK (Includes England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland), Australia, and New Zealand

Hindus: Lego fans who are Hindu

Buddhist: Lego fans who are Buddhist

Arabic (Includes Islam and Muslim): Lego fans who are Islam or Muslim

Jewish: Lego fans who are Jewish

Irreligious: Lego fans who do not worship anything at all

African: Lego fans who worship any African religion

Oceanic: Lego fans who worship any Islander religion

American: Lego fans who worship any Native or Amazonian religion

Disability: Lego fans who have PERMANENT AND REAL LIFE injuries in any way (No leg, deafness, etc.)

Parliament: Users who made a suggestion come to Eurobricks

Jester: Banned users (Unlike the others, this will always be displayed with no way to remove it at all)

Priest: Users who teach Lego to a group of people

Let me know if you have problems or suggestions in the reply section.

(Also, blame Cole. You know, the Guardians of the Galaxy guy from Ninjago.)

2 minutes ago, Sam Sinister said:

Hello, guys and gals.

I am currently seeking interest in subcaterogy user groups for users. They will appear at the bottom of your main user group. Here are some suggestions:

Local: Lego fans living in US, Canada, UK (Includes England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland), Australia, and New Zealand

Foreign: Lego fans NOT living in US, Canada, UK (Includes England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland), Australia, and New Zealand

Not a fan of this idea, we have enough division in the current times as it is.

Also:

EURObricks

HUH?

Edited by Zerobricks

Just now, Zerobricks said:

Not a fan of this idea, we have enough division in the current times as it is.

Also:

EURObricks

HUH?

Thanks for the feedback. Also, many (like me) consider the United Kingdom to be one nation, while some consider it to be seperate. New Zealand, Australia, America, and Canada are all English, so I included them in local. Finally, they are Subdivisions. Not your main division, but another one to give it company.

TFOL would help solve a big problem for us staff! Anyone who asks to be part of it we know to ban as they are underaged to be on the forum! Sure, we know there are those users who must be under 18, but they are smart enough to not go advertising it. 

I will quote:

1 hour ago, Lira_Bricks said:

You joined 23 hours ago and are already making petitions to change how this forum works lol

Makes me consider if you too fall in the Under 18 bracket, OP. Lira_Bricks has a very good point there.

Why are people obsessed with labels and groupings? We're all Fans of LEGO, that is all that matters here. 

Other tags and titles are shared on staff discretion, if you stand out and make a good impression, these fun things come to you.

This is way too much, too divisional, and too much trouble. 

3 hours ago, Sam Sinister said:

TFOL (Teenager Fan of Lego): 13 - 18 years old

This age group isn't even allowed on Eurobricks if you've read the rules, it's 18+ only here.

Yeah... no.  The only one I think might be fun (if folks ask for it), is the SFOL (Senior Fan of Lego) but also suggesting putting that at 50+ makes me think you're under-age for this forum.  I would say SFOL for 65 or 70+ fans might be OK.

As for geography, the country is already listed, and the official board language is English so I don't know what purpose those additional tags would serve.

The religious tags are just a bad idea from any angle, and irrelevant to what this board is about anyway.  The others I don't see any real utility.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Great prospect... but a little too personal. I'd feel violated with all these requirements, and I'd certainly leave Eurobricks if that happens. But you have great ingenuity!

Yeah, I think countries are already listed. Religion isn't really relative to these forums, although you have every right to state your religion and not be harassed for it.

I just kinda feel like these are a little too much... but your head is in the right place! I like reading these kinds of topics! :classic:

Edited by pancakecrocodile
BTW, don't let these comments get to you, because these people sound pretty rough

Well, your suggestion seems interesting but, eh, it is likely more complained to break the groups down into smaller groups. And little more personal. It makes me feel divided from other groups if it happens. 

Personally, I am a lego fan with disabilies and I really don’t want to be labeled “AFOLWD” = Adult Fan of Lego with Disables. I am sorry but I politely reject this idea you brought up.

But you are always welcomed to be a member of Eurobricks here! 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

2 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Personally, I am a lego fan with disabilies and I really don’t want to be labeled “AFOLWD” = Adult Fan of Lego with Disables. I am sorry but I politely reject this idea you brought up.

I agree; this would make some people feel separated from others. But apart from that, I think this overall idea is great! If it would be optional whether to join these groups or not, I think it will work great. The ones that shouldn't be included are:

• Disability
  • Religion
  • Local and Not Local

Best regards, JintaiZ

11 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

I agree; this would make some people feel separated from others. But apart from that, I think this overall idea is great! If it would be optional whether to join these groups or not, I think it will work great. The ones that shouldn't be included are:

• Disability
  • Religion
  • Local and Not Local

Best regards, JintaiZ

Exactly.

Also, I don’t think religion should be included either. Not sure about ethnicity.

3 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Exactly.

Also, I don’t think religion should be included either. Not sure about ethnicity.

I don't think ethnicity should be included either.

For the country, I feel like maybe choosing your country out of the given options can be easier than filling out your own.

I don't think the country on peoples profile is necessary. Same with the "Ladies"-tag women can get on this forum. These things do not matter at all in the context of Lego.

The country might be handy to know when someone would be online, but specifying a time-zone should be enough.

Edited by Lira_Bricks

On 2/11/2021 at 3:54 PM, Sam Sinister said:

Irreligious: Lego fans who do not worship anything at all

Except LEGO obviously.

On 2/12/2021 at 7:31 PM, Lira_Bricks said:

I don't think the country on peoples profile is necessary. Same with the "Ladies"-tag women can get on this forum. These things do not matter at all in the context of Lego.

They do matter if someone is asking about availability of parts or sets, or discussing trades, or events.

I'll assume that Sam Sinister isn't trolling and say that I don't think any of these badges are needed. As far as I know, Eurobricks was founded in France and should be a welcoming community for continental Europeans (as well as everyone else this scheme would put in the "Foreign" category). Also, as per the site guidelines:

Manners and Serious Topics: Don't be offensive to other members. We like Eurobricks to be a friendly place to discuss LEGO and won't allow posts that are intended to offend or attack. For the same reason, topics (or avatars and other expressions) about religion or politics are not welcome on Eurobricks.

So all the religious badges seem to be in contradiction with the guidelines and the spirit of the whole site.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:31 AM, Lira_Bricks said:

I don't think the country on peoples profile is necessary.

Personally, I think it is cool to see all the different countries people are writing from, so I don't mind the existing country feature.

I think the country is necessary, makes posts somewhat easier to read (especially regarding prices of sets). Still, you can just put a "random" country if you think it doesn't matter. :wink:

On 2/12/2021 at 7:31 PM, Lira_Bricks said:

Same with the "Ladies"-tag women can get on this forum.

I'm not convinced that tag is still available for people who don't already have it. It definitely shouldn't be mandatory - but I think it's something really good to have as an option should people want it (I myself am hoping there's still some way to get it, since having it be inaccessible while still visible for the users who have it only serves as a sort of 'pulling the ladder up' to those who didn't join the forums in time!) Even with my username and my profile picture, people still assume I'm a man on here, which isn't super pleasant. :pir-wench:

A lot of the OP suggestions are at best asking for trouble (I'll echo the sentiment of many who think things such as religion, disability status, etc. aren't especially relevant to Lego and actually provide one more stick for the abusively-inclined basement dwellers of the Internet to hit people with, which is 100% a bad thing). As for being a SOFOL - well, apparently simply by being in my mid-twenties I'm a super-old fan of Lego? That seems way too short a time for me. If there's such a thing as a super-old fan of Lego it's surely somebody who was an AFOL even in the days when the Galaxy Explorer was not even a glint in its designer's eye.

5 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Even with my username and my profile picture, people still assume I'm a man on here, which isn't super pleasant. :pir-wench:

How do you know they assume that? I haven't seen anyone here refer to someone's gender :P

1 minute ago, Lira_Bricks said:

How do you know they assume that? I haven't seen anyone here refer to someone's gender :P

Only from comments where people quote me and say stuff like "what he said" or whatnot. It doesn't happen often but I'd rather it didn't happen at all.

Edited by Alexandrina
Fixed the product of my sausage fingers

6 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Only from comments where people quote me and say stuff like "what he said" or whatnot. It doesn't happen often but I'd rather it didn't happen at all.

Ah ok, fair point :)

Got to say, we were thinking of phasing out the "Ladies" tag, it felt a bit outdated. Sure, ten years ago it was useful but these days it feels really dated and awkward.

Though, I don't really care if someone "misgenders" me on the internet, face to face can offend though!

I’m not too fond of the idea of too much dividing. Why should we? It is the LEGO that us united.

Of course, it is nice to know in which country somebody lives. Gender maybe.

But in my humble opinion, no ethnics or religion. It has nothing to do with being a LEGO-fan.

Just my two cents..

On 2/20/2021 at 9:35 PM, Peppermint_M said:

Got to say, we were thinking of phasing out the "Ladies" tag, it felt a bit outdated.

I did notice that as something you mentioned being up for consideration in the Ladies Stand Up thread, and if it's going full stop then fair enough - but to me having it no longer be attainable but still showing up for those who already have the tag (especially when the only requirement is to be a member of half the population) does feel a bit like pulling the ladder up but keeping the curtain open on the glass bottom. I'd never dream of suggesting it be mandatory of course, but for a few personal reasons it does really stick in my craw sometimes when I get referred to as a man, and for as long as the Internet default assumption is that the faceless people on the other side of the computer screen are male, it's nice to have a way of saying "actually, I'm not". :pir-wench: