Sign in to follow this  
AI toothbrush

Any programs for linux like bricklink studio?

I am a Linux user(mainly Ubuntu) and I am not planning on moving to windows. So basically I am searching for a moc designer tool that runs on Linux(preferably Ubuntu).

Thank you in advance.

As far as I know LDCad is the only one available for Linux, however cannot confirm what distros it actually works on. 

There are also web-browser based CAD software such as Mecabricks.

As last resort you could try your luck running a virtual machine/emulator with LDD/Stud.io, though at that point it'd be easier to install a secondary OS.

Edited by syclone

LeoCAD also works natively on Linux and is open source (GPLv2).

LDD works very fine with Wine.

Studio works fine with Wine… except it can’t do GPU-rendering (sees the card but can’t use it), and you need to use a “virtual desktop” (it’s a Wine option that puts Windows windows inside a X11 window) because of focus problems.

(Wine is very simple to use: install the wine packages, and start the installer with wine (e.g. “wine setupldd311.exe” and then you’ll have menu entries.)

Edited by SylvainLS

I have played with this a bit and while it's not a native application, steam's Proton can also handle Bricklink Studio fairly well. No cursor/focus issues either or "virtual desktop" setting needed.

Proof:

Spoiler

CpJmVfv.png

Pudding:

Spoiler
  1. Install Steam and Proton-GE
  2. Install Protontricks if you want to be able to tinker easily.
  3. Added the Bricklink Studio installer as a non-steam game
  4. Set the installer 'game' to run with Proton compatibility
  5. Make sure the installer path is correct because Steam's add non-steam game option doesn't like spaces?
  6. Run the installer 'game' and install the studio somewhere. It doesn't really matter where. It wants to install in Proton's own folder but that is not a great location for it.
  7. Find the installed game id. I got 2277686377, you might get something else.
  8. Use protontricks to run explorer in that new game's prefix.
  9. Run that same installer again, installing Studio into the compatdata's: "C:\Program Files\Studio 2.0\Studio.exe". I tried using the originally installed copy but it crashes on launch so extra steps.
  10. Change the installer 'game' exe to what it should be. Something like "$HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/2277686377/pfx/drive_c/Program Files/Studio 2.0/Studio.exe"
  11. Delete that initial install.
  12. Don't expect GPU rendering to work

Edited by shawarden

I used Bricklink Studio with Ubuntu and a FullHD monitor and it worked just fine. Since I switched to a 4K monitor, the fonts in Wine are so small. Adjusting the DPI in WineCFG didn't work. Does anyone have a tip?

As of now, the easiest way for me to run Bricklink Studio is using Bottles, very easy to setup configure and use. Still no GPU Rendering but otherwise works well.