antp

[WIP-MOC] My House

Less changes in the last days. Soon after the previous photos I made the stairs going to the next floor:

DSC_6550_2.JPG

(grey parts along the steps will be replaced/completed by white parts that will arrive soon)

And the ouside wall (party wall) on the side which is already finished:

DSC_6551_2.JPG

On 6/27/2021 at 5:50 PM, antp said:

I see that I forgot to take a picture after having done the doors of the WC and that small hallway.

So here is it, with light/dark grey parts replaced with white ones for the window frame:

DSC_7119_2.JPG

Finishing the floor with the bathroom; after the dual-sink cabinet the bath tub take me some thinking/searching time for a working solution.

DSC_7118_2.JPG

I still have to replace grey with white, I don't yet have these brackets in white, that will be for a future parts order.

The red, blue and yellow plates are normal: these are old parts for areas that will be hidden by other parts afterwards.

The final result, a little overexposed, as it is not easy to capture details of black parts:

DSC_7265_2.JPG DSC_7267_2.JPG

Some 1x2 tiles are still missing, that will arrive later. Same for the roof above the small hallway, in transparent plastic, like the ground floor veranda. That will be done in the next months.

DSC_7266_2.JPG

In the meantime, next step will be continuing the stairs and then the attic where there is my office desk and all the Lego.

Wow, such a cool idea. :D

Great level of detail and interesting things and builds to see. I think the kitchen is my favorite room so far :D

I see that I forgot to post this picture with the two floors stacked together, after having added two rows of bricks below the upper floor:

DSC_7614_1.JPG

After arrival of new parts I could resume building.

Missing tiles were added to the bathroom floor. I improved the upper part of the wall between sleeping room and the dressing with new rounded parts (like in the modular police station):

DSC_7772_2.JPG

(that wall is not as tall so we can still see something in the dressing room, as it is a narrow room)

I also added a mirror on the right of the door of that room, with a sticker (cut from real Lego stickers) on a 2x6 tile, as we added a mirror there. And I see that it moved and is skewed, of course I see that only when posting the picture :look:

As we repainted a part of the stairwell in dark red a few months ago, the arrival of dark red bricks allowed me to update that too:
DSC_7779_2.JPG

I also started building the next flight of stairs:

DSC_7780_2.JPG

It seems that I've forgot to post the updates here... So here are they.

From time to time I improve details when I get new parts, for example here with the new "splat gears" as office chair base:

DSC_8300_1.JPG

(not my idea, I saw that somewhere in a MOC)

As we added glass shelves in the bathroom for the towels, I updated the Lego version:

DSC_8302_1.JPG

I still have to replace the grey brackets by versions matching the towel colors. It is good that Lego release it in dark blue (though that it does not seem easy to get...). For the the pink and azure, I'll probably have to get the darker shade of these colors than those I used here.

A small update in the kitchen, to finish the microwave oven border using only silver parts rather than a mix of silver and light grey (but the silver does not stand out on the photo as it does in reality)

DSC_8439_2.JPG

Silver tiles are easy to find, so I used a few, but for the plates it is more difficult, as Lego did not make many (and won't do more, due to problem with paint added on studs wearing out). In the end I bought a whole set 8634 for parts (complete but without instructions), mostly for its silver parts (here I used the 1x1 and 2x2 corner plates).

The main changes are the glass roofs at the rear of the house, that were missing since some time. I made these using garage door parts I got from a lugbulk last year.

First the upper level:

DSC_8284_2.JPG

I also made the flat roof above the WC on the left, and above a part of the bathroom on the right.

For the ground floor, I first tested something similar than the upper floor:

DSC_8301_2.JPG

Then replaced that by long Technic bricks:

DSC_8303_2.JPG

I added pins to attach tiles on the sides:

DSC_8305_2.JPG

Because of the pins, the transparent garage panels are not completely flat: those in the back of a pin are a little higher than those that float freely in the Technic hole of the brick, but I still find that acceptable.

Then, with a better slope angle:

DSC_8311_2.JPG

I also increased the slope angle on the upper floor, with a small transparent triangle near the back (as in reality).

The gutter pipes have been fixed, but I was not very satisfied of the result.

Walls behind the glass roof:

DSC_8406_2.JPG

And in the end, with the gutter pipes attached differently:

DSC_8413_2.JPG

I just have to add a 1x3x1 panel where it is missing, I don't have any more in stock, that will be for a future parts order.

:)

After that, I started the last floor:

DSC_8415_2.JPG

On the left, the triangular dark grey assembly is the part that comes above the bow-window, attached in the slot at the front of the floor.

The large slot at the rear is because of the glass roof frame from the floor below, the first row of bricks will have to use 2x2 inverted slopes (also seen on the photo).

This time I made it the right size on the first try:

DSC_8418_2.JPG

... except the small white part that comes at the top of the stairs, which I had to widen by 1 stud (I didn't take in account the part of the wall along the stairs, not yet build then).

Like for the previous floor, I will have to add two rows of bricks below the base to have it at the right level, but I'll do that only at the end, since it makes less convenient/rigid building above the base.

I started with the two Ikea Billy book cases at the top of the stairs:

DSC_8563_1.JPGDSC_8573_1.JPG

On the second pictures the old version (made for my previous apartment) is seen, I used another approach here.

I was still missing a 1x2x2 panel in tan for the top of the left one, in the meantime I've put a white one. Half of the panels is hidden in the wall; I had to use panels because the parts of the top row arrive a little too high to allow using standard bricks here.

The cornice on the street side:

DSC_8605_2.JPG

I realize that I forgot to post the blue print of the last floor, here is it:

plan_2e_r.png

The empty spaces on left & right are storage areas in the low part of the roof, especially low for the one on the right since the slope starts lower and that the space is narrower (on the blueprint it has the same width, it is an error).

The teal squares are the tables from the Lego city layout: as I was reusing the boards cut for my previous Lego room, I did the same for the blueprint. I reused what I already entered in the software to make the layout of the new room.

I started with the storage area on the left, on the street side, where I store empty boxes of miniature cars, some empty Lego boxes, some sets for sale, old CDs and DVDs, and Lego parts that do not fit in the storage drawers of the main room.

DSC_8614_2.JPG

Recreating such various small things and boxes in Lego is not so easy, while trying to make it close to reality.

I lowered the cornice so the roof does not start too high.

DSC_8619_2.JPG

I also changed my plans for the roof: I will use slopes 33 instead of 45, as the real roof is about 40° angle. With the scale approximation the 33 will be a much better fit than the 45.

I did some trials with the assembly seen on the left, it should work, so I ordered some dark red slopes to increase my inventory.

The 2x2 teal brick will be replaced by this part which was just released in this color: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=35700&colorID=39&in=A

Solid roof? So it wont be as with Old Fishing Store 21310? made by plates. Altho, this thechnique you choose, might be better for Roofing slates, etc.

Yes, using slopes instead of tiles it will probably look more like the real one

Here is the storage area of the other side,

DSC_8625_2.JPG

The small table should be red instead of grey, I see that I have the 3x3 plate in red in a set... in the Empire State Building... buried in the middle, used in one of the first steps, so very difficult to get it without dismantling the whole thing. I'll wait for a parts order to get another one :grin:

(usually when I build, if a part not visible in the final build is not yet in my stock, I replace it by another more common color, but for this one I did not notice that I had none yet, and I was probably not expecting needing a red one so soon).

Seen from the other side, with the floor and wall added:

DSC_8655_2.JPG

The few dark red brick in the left wall are there because some of the bricks there were not painted in white (like in the other storage area), nor covered by plaster like the rest of the left & right walls).

I searched some time to find how to fix the white & tan panel assemblies, slightly skewed against the wall. Finally I did that:

DSC_8656_1.JPG

The white one is a mattress stored there, the tan one represents a set of flattened cardboard boxes (hence the use of 2x2x2/3 bricks that I got previously just in case... so here was the case :laugh:).

Then I added a white pipe that I forgot:

DSC_8678_2.JPG

For that I also had to search some time to attach it correctly with a slight slope. It passes through an arch 1x3x1 and the end is in a Technic brick 1x1 (just to hide the end of the candle, it isnot really attached to it; it is hold in place by the bar + clip + headlight at the other end).

Addition to the previous post, about the pipe I mention at the end: it is used to get water from the street-side cornice to the rear of the house.

That pipe is hidden in a casing in the stairwell, of which I didn't yet post a photo of the highest part, so here is it:
DSC_8696_1.JPG

The pipe casing is represented by the plate+tile attached sideways to the wall (sorry, the photo is not very good, and the red is not the best color for JPEG encoding).

Between that casing and the part seen in my previous post, the pipe passes behind the two Billy bookcases, but at that scale I could not include it.

We also see here a part of the cornice, completing what was seen in my post from March 31.

And now starting the construction of the main part of the last floor: the Lego room and where I'm home-working, with all the parts storage cases + my work desktop :

DSC_8699_2.JPG

On that picture I still have to update what represents the parts storage, they should be 2 plates higher to be closer to the scale of the real ones.

I already posted photos of that room in the thread about my city layout, but here is a newer view of that same side of the room:

DSC_8691_2.JPG DSC_8692_2.JPG

Continuing with the Ikea Bestå furniture that make a kind of hallway at the entrance of the room.

These were already in my office in the first apartment, and in the living room in the second apartment.

Back then I made them in Lego using 1x2x2 windows and made all in tan (closest colour would be medium nougat, but even now the availability of parts is limited).

P1110272_1.JPG

There are four double racks; there were three stacked + one on the side (under the CRT screen).

I cheated on their size, they should have been 3-stud each and not 2, but I didn't had enough space anyway due to other scale compromises in the room.

In the second apartment I replaced the wooden doors with bluish doors and stacked the racks in 2x2 :

P1110743_1.JPG

(on the right; here again the smaller size fitted well)

However now for the house I needed to make these racks larger. So I tried to make something with the new 1x3x4 windows, but they are too high (best would be 1x3x3...)

So I used the 3x2x2 cupboards sideways:

DSC_8833_2.JPG

I reality the glass frames are silver, only the rack itself is wooden, so this allows to add the missing grey frame.

As we have put black planks behind glass doors, so for the Lego version I'll use black doors (that I still have to get), as anyway they don't exist in trans-clear.

On the back of these racks, there is another Bestå rack, but this one is a single column instead of double racks. It was in the corner of the living room near the couch (on the photo of the second apartment here above).

As this one is a high column with different glass doors, I could use the 1x3x4 windows however:

DSC_8837_2.JPG

I used tan has I had only that, I'll replace the front ones by light bluish grey (as glass frames), since the part has been introduced this year for the DeLorean.

To hide the back of the grey cupboards I used... grey tiles :laugh: I have to replace these by the tan version, that I don't yet have in my stock.

DSC_8836_1.JPG

At the side of these racks one can see 1x1 dark tan bricks stacked sideways: this stands for the CD storage rack (when it was against the wall I used the back of headlight parts for their square hole, but since here the back of the rack is visible I had to use another system, which is better in the end).

The complex system used here at the bottom has been replaced later: I used tan and fixed the whole thing in the rack at its side using 1x1 bricks with stud on side (which do not exist in dark than, strangely).

Here the rack / display case with contents, as well as the 4th rack along the wall + all the binders on the shelves:

DSC_8849_2.JPG

The colours of the binders are strictly matching the real ones, except the two 1x1 grey plates: these are brackets to be replaced by black ones when I'll get them.

Edited by antp

Now the final and main part, the tables with the Lego city layout.

First what is under the tables:

DSC_8858_2.JPG

The blue plate is the cat basket, to be replaced later with https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=93082f&C=42#T=C&C=42 whose color is closed to the real one.

The complete layout:

DSC_8865_2.JPG

For comparison, a recent photo of the real layout:

DSC_8920_2.JPG

Which finishes the last floor:

DSC_8875_2.JPG

Seen from under, with the two rows of bricks added:

DSC_8882_2.JPG

The house is nearly finished, it is just missing the roof:

DSC_8883_2.JPG

Seen from the rear:

DSC_8884_2.JPG

Me busy with building this part of the house:

DSC_8874_1.JPG

(lower floors are visible on the right, in front of the ladded against the wall)