evancelt

[COR-FB] Traffic Jam in Wullham

The new fence lining the edges of the wheat fields created a bottleneck when two parties caught up to each other on the path. Shepard Grogson told Lieutenant Bollford that the sheep would be on their way in good time, but Bollford's men were ready to get home to a warm dinner.

wheat-1.jpg

wheat-2.jpg

To be licensed as a small wheat plantation in Wullham

BTS:

Spoiler

wheat-process-1.jpg

wheat-process-2.jpg

I found out the morning after that my wife had been sneakily Instagramming me from across the basement as I was working on this one. Haha :pir-love:

wheat-instagram.jpg

Edited by evancelt

This is such an adorable build! I love how good it looks, despite simple parts being used. Excellent job and story! It's so cuuuute!

Good build and funny story. I like the brick built sheep both clever and cute. 

8 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

What a funny idea, and a great build! 

6 hours ago, Mesabi said:

This is such an adorable build! I love how good it looks, despite simple parts being used. Excellent job and story! It's so cuuuute!

3 hours ago, Bodi said:

Nice photography and cute build as said above, these sheep look good.

2 hours ago, merc said:

Good build and funny story. I like the brick built sheep both clever and cute. 

Thanks guys! Was fun to get in close for these eye-level immersive shots. The overlapping paper infinity curve background ended up making a cool atmospheric effect that kind of looks like a rainbow - lucked out there.

I always think the boring day-to-day minutiae of Enlightenment life is where the gold is :pir-grin:

Trying to establish Wullham as the premiere livestock / agricultural paradise destination, though @NOD is giving me a run for my money with those Hellion and Poppy Port builds!

Edited by evancelt

Just click on them repeatedly and eventually they'll explo-

Oh wait, wrong game. :grin:

Neat build. The sheep look great and this is one of those scenes that doesn't really need an explanation. Your soldiers look good as always. Of all the ways I've seen wheat represented in bricks, this just might be the best, although I think it would look more fitting for the time if the plants were more thickly placed (if you have that many parts!) and randomly scattered rather than planted in straight lines. The scarecrow is also a neat piece. Nice work. :classic:

15 minutes ago, Captain Dee said:

Of all the ways I've seen wheat represented in bricks, this just might be the best, although I think it would look more fitting for the time if the plants were more thickly placed (if you have that many parts!) and randomly scattered rather than planted in straight lines. The scarecrow is also a neat piece. Nice work. :classic:

Thanks! When I was researching wheat techniques I saw some really cool ones with tan technic axle/pin connectors, but went with the flower stem piece because I have a lot of them. Or I thought I had a lot of them... I went through 250 in no time! Was hoping to put them closer together, but ended up spacing them out 2 studs apart in offset rows. Started by putting three stems on top of each other, but eventually started putting 1x1 round and square tan plates on the bottom of two to make them cover more area.

Edited by evancelt

Having gotten stuck behind cows many times myself when I wanted to get somewhere, I appreciate the humor here, especially on the faces of the soldiers! :pir-grin:  Great design for the sheep!

1 minute ago, evancelt said:

Thanks! When I was researching wheat techniques I saw some really cool ones with tan technic axle/pin connectors, but went with the flower stem piece because I have a lot of them. Or I thought I had a lot of them... I went through 250 in no time! Was hoping to put them closer together, but ended up going spacing them out 2 studs apart in offset rows

I have seen that technique several times, and it is pretty cool, but yeah, however you go about it, you're going to use a lot of parts in a hurry! I've also seen plain tan bars, but man, it takes a gazillion of those to mimic cereal grains!

12 minutes ago, evancelt said:

agricultural paradise

Ok, now I have images of Weird Al Yankovic walking backward while reverse lip-synching stuck in my head... :pir-laugh:

12 minutes ago, Captain Dee said:

Ok, now I have images of Weird Al Yankovic walking backward while reverse lip-synching stuck in my head... :pir-laugh:

"No Need for a Green Thumb In Wullham" (from KPA) - I took that straight out of the 3rd verse.

Though, @Captain Dee with my bad rhymes (Thumb and Wullham, and Jam and Wullham) I'm making people second guess how the town name is said! I'm thinking Wool-um?

15 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

Having gotten stuck behind cows many times myself when I wanted to get somewhere, I appreciate the humor here, especially on the faces of the soldiers! :pir-grin: 

I've gotten stuck behind cattle quite a bit in rural places in Colorado, though growing up in Pennsylvania it was Amish buggies! I was going for "aw come on" faces with the solider heads

Edited by evancelt

Well-chosen expression on Lieutenant Bollford's face. He's probably seeing 1000 sheep right now. The funny sheep are positioned in lifelike. It seems real. Funny and well-built diorama.

Edited by NOD

49 minutes ago, Brickwolf said:

Wonderful build, cute and funny. The lavender stone is a nice detail and makes it typical Wullham!

Thanks @Brickwolf! Unfortunately this is the only lavender visible in the final build photos :pirate-sad Sheep got in the way :pir-murder: haha

wheat-1_lavender.jpg

Beautiful scene evancelt! I really love the atmosphere you have created with this scene. So very peaceful and calming during these trying times in the Brick Seas!

frontpaged.png.6e26b0e640f22817ff432989d1e267b4.png

Quaint build! The scene feels very real and alive. The sheep and their movement looks great, as does the wheat. Like Ayrlego said: it's nice to see a scene such as this during these turbulent times.

Excellent photo using "regular" pieces! I guess some people are more capable than others at photoshooting! :pir-tongue:

My experiences with traffic are primarily with sheep (especially in virtually all of our islands), with an Amish cart (just once back in the US countryside) but fore and foremost with goats (one can definitely not depict them in LEGO form anymore unless he is a billionaire) :pir-grin:

20 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Just click on them repeatedly and eventually they'll explo

Ahahaha! My kind of guy! :pir-grin:

2 minutes ago, Sam Sinister said:

Can't they just shoot the sheep?

Haha good question. As @NOD speculated above, there are likely 1000s of sheep on the path ahead. Some back of the napkin math here.... 1234 sheep, 8 flintlock muskets, ~155 each... sounds like some warm gun barrels and slow going! :pir-grin:

Just now, evancelt said:

Haha good question. As @NOD speculated above, there are likely 1000s of sheep on the path ahead. Some back of the napkin math here.... 1234 sheep, 8 flintlock muskets, ~155 each... sounds like some warm gun barrels and slow going! :pir-grin:

Yeah, maybe they won't have enough ammunition to fight the Bluecoats.

I'm late to this build, but I love it! Well constructed scene that needs no explanation. :thumbup:

Where did you get the tan flower stems?

Excellent build achieved with simple means. If you use binoculars for heads, you can give the rams horns, but I do admit that the cheese slope works well too.

On 2/10/2021 at 12:29 AM, Ayrlego said:

Beautiful scene evancelt! I really love the atmosphere you have created with this scene. So very peaceful and calming during these trying times in the Brick Seas!

Thanks @Ayrlego!

On 2/10/2021 at 2:49 AM, Count Vroskri said:

Congratulations on another frontpage, @evancelt!

Thanks!

On 2/10/2021 at 3:26 AM, Khorne said:

Quaint build! The scene feels very real and alive. The sheep and their movement looks great, as does the wheat. Like Ayrlego said: it's nice to see a scene such as this during these turbulent times.

Thanks! It's fun to put soldiers in non-fighting scenes :pir_laugh2:

On 2/10/2021 at 4:26 AM, blackdeathgr said:

Excellent photo using "regular" pieces! I guess some people are more capable than others at photoshooting! :pir-tongue:

My experiences with traffic are primarily with sheep (especially in virtually all of our islands), with an Amish cart (just once back in the US countryside) but fore and foremost with goats (one can definitely not depict them in LEGO form anymore unless he is a billionaire) :pir-grin:

Ahahaha! My kind of guy! :pir-grin:

Thanks! I blanket-bombed this scene with like 40 photos and kept the two that looked best :pir-grin:

14 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

I'm late to this build, but I love it! Well constructed scene that needs no explanation. :thumbup:

Where did you get the tan flower stems?

Thanks! I lucked out last November when I was buying bulk vegetation on BrickLink - I found a store that was closing and was liquidating their inventory. Got 250 of the tan stems for $0.01 each. BrickLink doesn't know of any sets that include tan stems, so no idea where the seller got them - but a bunch do have LEGO imprints on them. I think you can get comparably-priced knockoff ones on AliExpress.

7 hours ago, Bregir said:

Excellent build achieved with simple means. If you use binoculars for heads, you can give the rams horns, but I do admit that the cheese slope works well too.

Thanks! Will have to try the ram horns in future builds

Edited by evancelt

3 hours ago, evancelt said:

BrickLink doesn't know of any sets that include tan stems, so no idea where the seller got them - but a bunch do have LEGO imprints on them.

LEGO sometimes does test runs of parts in "off" colors. I don't know why, but from time to time on BrickLink you'll see various parts in colors that never appeared in sets, usually from sellers in Germany or Denmark. FYI.