Sign in to follow this  
Smw

Hogwarts train - tracks?

I have the Hogwarts Express train and station and I'm wondering if the train / (carriages and locomotive) will fit on the standard track TLG is selling at the moment? 

Don't have space to have a track setup permanently so don't want to get the full motorised town set at the moment, but thinking my five year old would enjoy it as a play piece if the tracks are compatible and I'd only need to spend £17.99

Yes they are perfectly compatible.  The easiest way to get an entire loop is 3 x 60205 (£15.99).  

I may be wrong but I think I read somewhere that there’s not enough space for the track as the set is - you’ll have to raise the bridge a couple of plates to allow it through under the bridge.

Good luck and happy building!

Vilhelm22

Yes is just compatible and you can add a motor  as well. I haven't tested it my self just yet but with track the train should just fit under the bridge. 

Track can be expensive a cheap way is just to buy a motorised train with track on a discount. as it cheaper then buying losse parts.  

But just buying a single set of straight tracks should be enough for you needs. (for display) if you need a full round you need 3 full sets but you only close the round with flex track. 

I bought my self a set 60197 as well as it is on sale quite often (normal euro price 130) but I got it at 94 euro so around 82 pounds. that is very close to 50 pounds for tracks but now extra train and powered up functions. And you can always find a good use for the extra blocks in the set you get 677 blocks for just under 30 pounds / euro difference with a controller and motor and battery box. :) 

there are a few manuals on youtube how to upgrade your Hogwarts express train to do this (with some extra red blocks you can do it in the tender also make the tender a bit bigger as it way to small I think)

I'd go the bricklink route. Get 16x curves (part 53400) and maybe four or six straights to create an oval. The curves are typically 50p or so each, straights you are looking at £1.50-£2.00 each. Or maybe one box of 60205 from amazon or wherever, then get the extra curves you need from BL. I'd avoid the flexi track, especially if a younger kid is pushing the train around.

2 hours ago, Smw said:

I have the Hogwarts Express train and station and I'm wondering if the train / (carriages and locomotive) will fit on the standard track TLG is selling at the moment? 

Don't have space to have a track setup permanently so don't want to get the full motorised town set at the moment, but thinking my five year old would enjoy it as a play piece if the tracks are compatible and I'd only need to spend £17.99

Not just that, it will fit on all regular Lego train track produced since 1966.

Just make sure you don't accidentally order the narrow track: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=85976#T=C

I'd go with one of the town trains, often on sale and good play value in and of themselves (unless your son is a Harry Potter fan rather than a train fan)

38 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

I'd go with one of the town trains, often on sale and good play value in and of themselves (unless your son is a Harry Potter fan rather than a train fan)

You then get on oval of track, a motor & controlled (and an extra train).

If it's just going to be a push train the Hogwarts train is fine but if you want a motorized train then take zephyr's advice. Motorizing the Hogwarts Express can take a lot of fine tuning that a kid doesn't have patience for, so having something to distract them might help.

The Hogwart's Express runs on the standard LEGO track. As mentioned by Vilhelm22, you will need to raise the overhead walkway by a brick to fit under it. I motorized it back in 2018 and you can find the thread here:

My modifications may be more than you wish to do. It looks good, but requires a bit of work to the boiler and tender. The easiest way to motorize 75955 is to modify the tender to hold the battery box and motor. With Power Functions retired, the only option now is Powered Up, and that will pretty much double the cost of the initial set when you add in track.

I have it and got tracks and motorized it by buying the city passenger train. I also bought second hogwarts express set so I could make the engine and cars longer. 

The set works really well on track.    If you buy multiple copies of the set the stations combine really well!  I've got 3 copies on myself and the station looks great with them all combined together. 

@Feuer Zug I just reconfigured my loco to your design, but it has very little pulling power. I had a do several modifications just to reduce friction enough for it to pull one car and not jam on R120s. Was your train in the video lubed by some chance? I don't feel I'm getting the same performance even with new batteries.

12 hours ago, SD100 said:

@Feuer Zug I just reconfigured my loco to your design, but it has very little pulling power. I had a do several modifications just to reduce friction enough for it to pull one car and not jam on R120s. Was your train in the video lubed by some chance? I don't feel I'm getting the same performance even with new batteries.

SD100, my Hogwart's Express does decently with two cars being pulled by the M motor. I did not mention that I have modified my cars and the tender to use roller bearings. That reduces the friction considerably. The train usually runs on R40 curves as seen with regular LEGO switches to enter and exit sidings. Also, try without the rods. Those took some trial and error with various parts to get them "just" right. Tolerances were critical. Even now, about half an hour is all it can run before the rods need checking.