MaxBrix

Mechanical Spider Takes on Rough Terrain 8X8 Off Road

It is difficult for mechanical walkers to go over a surface with bumps or any places for the feet to get caught. They often struggle on unlevel ground. This is my latest attempt to defy these restrictions.

4-Bar Linkage legs, Split Chassis, Dual Crank

2 L-Motors
1- Sbrick
1 3S 850mah LIPO

I have never seen those springs in red, can 't find them on brickset either. Very nice built also

Edited by vliet

4 hours ago, MaxBrix said:

It is difficult for mechanical walkers to go over a surface with bumps or any places for the feet to get caught. They often struggle on unlevel ground. This is my latest attempt to defy these restrictions

Woah! I like this beauty! Those crawling abilities are great, nice video BTW :pir-huzzah2:

10 minutes ago, vliet said:

I have never seen those springs in red, can 't find them on brickset either. Very nice built also

Here you go: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=2909c02&name=Technic, Shock Absorber 9.5L (Hard Spring)&category=[Technic, Shock Absorber]#T=C&C=5
The springs are easily interchangeable, so you can use these red ones with any type of spring,

I knew they are interchangeable but I haven't seen any reds, untill now. I do have a lot in yellow;)

7 hours ago, amorti said:

Those are XL's ;)

Very cool mechanism. What did you use for "toes"?

The toes are made from the silicon from a wire wisk. When removed from the wisk you have 2mm silicon tube. Now jam them into a Lego axle coupler. Now find a wire shelf. It needs to have soft plastic end caps on the metal frame. These fit snugly on the coupler. cut the tip so the silicon tubes stick out when you put it on the coupler. I show them up close and talk about it here.

That is a very capable walker :thumbup:. Stable, steerable and good over rough terrain, I had expected a controller, but it is pure mechanics :wub:

That's really COOL!! It's a lot like a "strandbeest". Very interested in knowing more about your lipo battery system. Also do you have a building instruction or more pictures?

On 2/9/2021 at 5:39 AM, 1963maniac said:

That's really COOL!! It's a lot like a "strandbeest". Very interested in knowing more about your lipo battery system. Also do you have a building instruction or more pictures?

Sorry I am bad at documentation. I will at least take some good photos for Eurobricks next time. I do have a very simple spider tutorial video though. It's a good place to start with walkers.

Diy Walkers has a lot of info on building walkers. About the battery: