Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL-FB] A (mini) church for Interlagos

With an influx of newcomers to Interlagos, the settlers in this growing town decided it was time to build a proper church (rather than use the tavern as a makeshift meeting place).

45-3.jpg

Field stone was used for the walls, and timber from the local sawmill was used for the roof.

window_tower.jpg

Stained glass was brought in from Fuerte Unido for the windows.

windows_side.jpg

windows_front.jpg

Some more pics:

Spoiler

45-2.jpg

front_1.jpg

top.jpg

45_hi2.jpg

To be licensed as a small art & culture property.

------

After working on some micro builds recently, I decided to go to an in-between scale, building this mini-scale build that is big enough to qualify for a small property, but not so big as to require more bricks than I have access to at the moment. All C&C welcome.

I really like this scale of micro-builds and this church turned out pretty good. I'm impressed that you managed to include stained glass with that much detail. The main roof seems kinda bland; otherwise I really like it.

Excellent use of parts Wolf!  The build looks great, and the colouring is fantastic! Great job doing that in the small scale!

I love your stained glass windows here, and the texture/colors are also good - nice job making it interesting but not overpowered. 

I really like the colors, @Capt Wolf! Nice job at this scale - looks real! Cool stained glass. The window panel for the door looks great!

Like @Captain Dee said, the studsy roof is the only part that doesn't look polished, but I do think if you'd gone two plates thick (or plate + tile) without hiding the lip it would have looked too bulky.

Edited by evancelt

Nice and well built church. The windows are a highlight and the bricks for the door are a good idea.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2021 at 10:37 PM, Captain Dee said:

I really like this scale of micro-builds and this church turned out pretty good. I'm impressed that you managed to include stained glass with that much detail. The main roof seems kinda bland; otherwise I really like it.

Thanks. The stained glass was always a must for this build. As for the roof, I agree with you, but ...

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2021 at 8:51 AM, evancelt said:

the studsy roof is the only part that doesn't look polished, but I do think if you'd gone two plates thick (or plate + tile) without hiding the lip it would have looked too bulky.

… this was exactly the case. I experimented with a more detailed roof and it just didn't work right at this scale.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2021 at 5:41 AM, Mesabi said:

Excellent use of parts Wolf!  The build looks great, and the colouring is fantastic! Great job doing that in the small scale!

Thanks. It took a couple of attempts before I figured out the right color mix.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2021 at 6:30 AM, Kai NRG said:

I love your stained glass windows here, and the texture/colors are also good - nice job making it interesting but not overpowered. 

Thank you! Just what I was going for.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2021 at 8:51 AM, evancelt said:

I really like the colors! Nice job at this scale - looks real! Cool stained glass. The window panel for the door looks great!

Thanks! Amazingly, I didn't have that door window panel in mind when I started the build, but once I remembered it, it was an obvious go-to piece.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2021 at 11:09 AM, NOD said:

Nice and well built church. The windows are a highlight and the bricks for the door are a good idea.

As noted above, I started this with the plan that I would work in the stained glass at this scale. Thanks!

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2021 at 4:20 PM, Spud The Viking said:

I really like the style and simplicity of the moc, it looks fantastic!

Thanks. I had to keep it simple or the details would be overpowering at this scale.

Thanks to everyone for the comments!

Although an unusual scale, this is a brilliant build, and it is great to see some variety in what the definition of microscale is.

Regarding the roof, I think a flat tiled roof installed just like the plates, connected on the bottom with plates but with the tiles overhanging all the edges, would still give you a single thickness and eliminate the exposed studs. Just an idea.

7 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

Although an unusual scale, this is a brilliant build, and it is great to see some variety in what the definition of microscale is.

Thanks. Yes, "micro" scale isn't all one scale. It was fun to work at this in-between scale.

2 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Regarding the roof, I think a flat tiled roof installed just like the plates, connected on the bottom with plates but with the tiles overhanging all the edges, would still give you a single thickness and eliminate the exposed studs. Just an idea.

A good idea. I'll explore that on a future build. Thanks!

Excellent church, Capt Wolf! It is fun to see you too took this in between scale - it is the same place I ended up with my Cartwright for Wullham. While still conserving bricks, it allows for much more detail than microscale-"proper" - and this is a brilliant example!

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2021 at 3:08 AM, Bregir said:

Excellent church, Capt Wolf! It is fun to see you too took this in between scale - it is the same place I ended up with my Cartwright for Wullham. While still conserving bricks, it allows for much more detail than microscale-"proper" - and this is a brilliant example!

Thank you. It is a fun scale! I'm thinking about doing more like this, although I don't have any specific inspiration at the moment.