zephyr1934

A review of the first elements from the FX Track system

2 hours ago, crizz11 said:

Just confirming, are there 8 studs in between these two parallel tracks when you use two P40L's?  Also which Windows software has FX tracks in it for layout design please?

image.png.9041da00345bfbb8abf50ac15fc35df3.png

thanks.

The the centers of the track there are 16 studs and between the edges there are 8 studs. 
And I use bluebrick to design my layouts but I think you have to download the fx track library from l-gauge.org 

32 minutes ago, Brickblock1 said:

The the centers of the track there are 16 studs and between the edges there are 8 studs. 
And I use bluebrick to design my layouts but I think you have to download the fx track library from l-gauge.org 

ok thanks mate i found the zip, i unzipped it into the parts folder under the bluebrick 1.9.1 folder, i can see the tab for FX in the application but when i click on that tab i don't see any track elements in there.

16 minutes ago, crizz11 said:

ok thanks mate i found the zip, i unzipped it into the parts folder under the bluebrick 1.9.1 folder, i can see the tab for FX in the application but when i click on that tab i don't see any track elements in there.

Just to be sure: Did you (re-) start BlueBrick after you copied the LGaugeColor directory into the parts folder? It is only loading the libraries on startup. The tabs name should be LGaugeColor btw.

Edited by Black Knight
clarification

17 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Just to be sure: Did you (re-) start BlueBrick after you copied the LGaugeColor directory into the parts folder? It is only loading the libraries on startup. The tabs name should be LGaugeColor btw.

ok i downloaded the LGaugeColor-Rev1.zip and extracted that into the parts folder, and can see the tab in the app.  Where do i extract the fx zip to though please?

57 minutes ago, crizz11 said:

ok i downloaded the LGaugeColor-Rev1.zip and extracted that into the parts folder, and can see the tab in the app.  Where do i extract the fx zip to though please?

You should end up with parts/LGaugeColor/P32L.72.gif (so all the .gif and .xml files should be in parts/LGaugeColor). Unfortunately quite many unzip-tools add some directory when extracting. The files must be in a directory exactly 1 depth below the parts directory; not two, not zero.

5 hours ago, crizz11 said:

Just confirming, are there 8 studs in between these two parallel tracks when you use two P40L's?  Also which Windows software has FX tracks in it for layout design please?

image.png.9041da00345bfbb8abf50ac15fc35df3.png

thanks.

I believe it is an 8 stud spacing for the gap, or 16 studs center to center (but verify with FX before you purchase or invest in planning).

As for track planning, Bluebrick is the most common way to go. The track style used on the box art (above) is available in BB here. I believe Michael Gale (of FX) made that artwork. Elsewhere (I think on the main BB site) you can also get a wide array of TrixBrix track that includes most of the FX geometries

6 hours ago, Black Knight said:

You should end up with parts/LGaugeColor/P32L.72.gif (so all the .gif and .xml files should be in parts/LGaugeColor). Unfortunately quite many unzip-tools add some directory when extracting. The files must be in a directory exactly 1 depth below the parts directory; not two, not zero.

I have extracted the fx zip into the parts/LgaugeColor/  folder but i still only see like below

image.png.a7fd8f8b0d1b4b330257f1ffd6ceaaa3.png

17 hours ago, crizz11 said:

I have extracted the fx zip into the parts/LgaugeColor/  folder but i still only see like below

Looks like you've got it, and you do have to scroll through the parts to find everything. See the instructions for working with bluebrick for the rest.

7 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Looks like you've got it, and you do have to scroll through the parts to find everything. See the instructions for working with bluebrick for the rest.

EDIT: I get it now and using it fine in Studio.  Thanks for your help everyone.

oh i thought it was meant to ALSO look like this.  Or are these only for use in ldraw or studio? 

FxTrackCatalog.png

Edited by crizz11

18 hours ago, crizz11 said:

oh i thought it was meant to ALSO look like this.  Or are these only for use in ldraw or studio? 

I think those are only for LDraw based programs (including studio)

On 6/19/2022 at 7:53 AM, zephyr1934 said:

Now a bit of Brickworld 2022 preview. Michael Gail was planning on coming to BW to preview some of his new products but came down with COVID and could not make it. He sent one of his top staff members instead (Max) while Michael joined by video conference. Many trainheads joined the meeting and we were treated to a preview of several prototypes and products in development. First up, the switch,

52155829602_ac3274da71_c.jpg

52157083744_d5a64d254c_c.jpg

52156857303_63a8158717_c.jpg

The prototype switch did not have any of the metal attached, but looked REALLY sharp. They will come in packs of two, you can choose between a pair of lefts, a pair of rights, or one of each. They have been delayed by the more recent wave of COVID closures in China. The estimated availability is the end of this year, hopefully just under $100 for a pair, but not finalized yet.

52157084534_b12a1fcd38_c.jpg

VERY IMPORTANT, because the branches are always on, the crossovers do not self isolate like lego switches do. By design, the bottoms of the switches are attached with screws in case you ever need to clean them, so as a bonus, someone who is handy with wiring could probably modify them to be self-isolating if they were so inclined. Otherwise, there are really simple ways to isolate (I've used clear packing tape folded over once between the joints).

52156849381_5ba438dd4c_c.jpg

There were also an assortment of odd sized track parts necessary to preserve spacing for different switch configurations (see box back above for examples). A couple of people who ballast track observed the potential difficulties this may present and I THINK Michael said he would be happy to share the info necessary for a third party to make ballasting plates for the switches, etc.

Next up, we got to see a mockup of the motor

52155830347_4c37329406_c.jpg

52157337735_e8e8d9eb08_c.jpg

First one out will be a "dumb motor". It will match the form factor of the 9v and 12v motors. It will have metal wheels (they will be dyed black in the production models) that then feed directly to jumpers on the end of the unit. Leave the jumpers in and it will behave like a lego 9v motor only it has a 9v port on either side. Pull the jumpers off, and now the port on one side of the motor will pass through the power from the wheels (a power pickup) the other side will provide power to the motor inside. So you can use any controller in between, e.g., an IR receiver, FX Brick, etc. while still being track powered (and then it does not matter if all branches of your switch are always on). It will have metal insides and a screw off bottom for servicing.

Now get this...

52157337795_7cacd1d7ce_c.jpg

The top comes off! Break the pin off? No problem. Want to rigidly build on the motor? No problem. We suggested making a 1x2 plate cutout so you could attach a bracket between the wheels. They will look into whether there is enough space, but if there isn't, you can always raise the bogie plate up one more plate.

Oh, and the black bogie plates will be available individually too.

He is hoping to have them available by the end of the year, but less likely than the switches. Otherwise, asap in 2023. The price is anticipated to be around $100 but might be just above.

No one bothered to ask if the estimated cost was in USD or CAD, since the FX store prices are in CAD, there is a good chance Michael thinks in CAD, which would make them a little cheaper. But still in the same ballpark.

In the works (sounded like within a year after the dumb motor comes out), they will add a smart motor to the lineup that essentially has an integrated FX Brick that can also handle DCC.

Also in the works is a "motor-less" motor, i.e., power pickup using the motor contacts but no internal propulsion. Some of the steam folks grumbled and were promised that a single axle power pickup with the form factor of a lego train wheel is in the plans, but it will come later.

Several folks mentioned an interest in the option to install a dummy wheel but were soon silenced when informed that a three axle motor is also in the works (probably a few years off) with a floating, unpowered middle axle. So you can start building realistic E units (A-1-A). It will be a little longer than the two axle motor (1-2 studs).

We also met a working prototype controller.

52157083949_70de7917eb_c.jpg

It has a 16x16 footprint, and if you get three of them you can pretend you are Mr. Scott on the USS Enterprise. It has throttle controlled power out of the middle and will have auxiliary power on the ends for future 12v system style add on devices. The gray buttons have a lot of different options, e.g., 9v/12v output (the light turns orange when 12v). With the declining availability of silicon chips, they redesigned the insides multiple times, it is now chip free and robust to supply chain disruptions. It has a VERY interesting output mode- low frequency PWM. Which means VERY low speed movement is possible, as demonstrated with a lego 9v motor. BTW, it can go even slower than that first video. As the real time background audio conveys, some of the features discussed might not be available on day 1, instead, coming later, via a firmware update.

The jumper functionality is genius for it being the "dumb" motor. I am wondering though, say you want to connect an IR receiver between the power pickup connection and the motor input connection (common use case). If you want to run the motor with 12v, can the Lego IR handle 12v? Have they tested if it can handle that?

Otherwise in that scenario you would be limited to running the motor at 9v. Then the next question would how does the Fx motor (at 9v or 12v) compare to the Lego 9v motor in terms of speed. If they are similar at 9v, then the above might not be much of an issue (but still, would be nice if it worked)

15 hours ago, NilsvN said:

The jumper functionality is genius for it being the "dumb" motor. I am wondering though, say you want to connect an IR receiver between the power pickup connection and the motor input connection (common use case). If you want to run the motor with 12v, can the Lego IR handle 12v? Have they tested if it can handle that?

Otherwise in that scenario you would be limited to running the motor at 9v. Then the next question would how does the Fx motor (at 9v or 12v) compare to the Lego 9v motor in terms of speed. If they are similar at 9v, then the above might not be much of an issue (but still, would be nice if it worked)

Great questions and I have no idea, they did not get in to that level of detail at the presentation. Definitely something to ask of FX when they get closer to releasing the motor.

16 hours ago, NilsvN said:

I guess that the remote control receiver between driving the motor and the power fed to the track could be their own product, the PFxBrick, operating with 12V DC or for further option operating it with 12V AC and getting commands through the rail.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:18 PM, zephyr1934 said:

Great questions and I have no idea, they did not get in to that level of detail at the presentation. Definitely something to ask of FX when they get closer to releasing the motor.

Sadly from what I've read on other threads is that the Lego IR probably doesn't work at 12v. It would be nice to have the track continuously powered at 12v to be able to use the Fx motor's full potential.

Edit:

Just found out the existing PFx brick already supports 12v input. If you input 12v, does that mean the output also gives 12v? Or does it get capped?

A 12v to 9v converter cable might still be interesting to people wanting to use a standard Lego IR receiver instead. Especially if you are planning on powering PF motors, with power coming from the upcoming Fx power pickup unit.

Edited by NilsvN
rtfm

i mean we dont know the chip under the epoxy blob. anything else is known. the epoxy chip is the actual reciever ic which is likely powered by either 3.3 or 5v via a voltage regulator. we only need to find the voltage regulator and see if it can handle the 12v instead of 9v.

23 hours ago, NilsvN said:

Sadly from what I've read on other threads is that the Lego IR probably doesn't work at 12v. It would be nice to have the track continuously powered at 12v to be able to use the Fx motor's full potential.

Philohome's page (and some extrapolation) indicates that the maximum output voltage is 10.5V of the IR Mk1 receiver, and 10.8V for the Mk2. 

Having done some searching it would appear that the IR receiver seems to be OK with 10V and even 11V, but no-one can confirm if 12V is OK. 

Since I haven't seen it before in this thread, I add up an image of a completed pair of P40 switches by FXTracks.

This were added to my layout during the event Bauspielbahn Treffen 2022 in Schkeuditz.

cikk_kep_04_1.jpg

Truly said this product seems to be superior in producing quality and functionality compared to other competitors. The two switching rails is unique in the world of LEGO and 3rd party items, which grants better run for trains and also better electric contact, without the "gap" 9V motors face at TLC's R40 points. The two position of the points are mechanically locked, so if you approach to the point from the wrong direction your train will be derailed (I think, this is good, it avoids cutting the switches from the wrong direction, which can ruin on longer term original, TrixBrix and BrickTracks switches, too). The switching mechanism is small, space-efficient and the single pin hole on both side promises good motorisation possibilities (both side and _under_ the level of track ballast).

I previously bought 3 boxes of S32 straights, those seemed to be bending the 16×32 baseplate I installed them on (really hard to notice), but when I set up the P40R point (this is connected with many studs to my black ballast), I noticed no bend at all. The S1.6 and S3.2 elements (needed for ladder yards) look like also smooth and professional - and the products clearly refer to original TLC's 9V products, they blend very nicely in.

On 8/29/2022 at 9:40 AM, Ashi Valkoinen said:

Truly said this product seems to be superior in producing quality and functionality compared to other competitors. The two switching rails is unique in the world of LEGO and 3rd party items, which grants better run for trains and also better electric contact, without the "gap" 9V motors face at TLC's R40 points. The two position of the points are mechanically locked, so if you approach to the point from the wrong direction your train will be derailed (I think, this is good, it avoids cutting the switches from the wrong direction, which can ruin on longer term original, TrixBrix and BrickTracks switches, too). The switching mechanism is small, space-efficient and the single pin hole on both side promises good motorisation possibilities (both side and _under_ the level of track ballast).

Hi,

how hard is the throw locking mechanism ?
can the throw be replaced with one with no locking to allow for more realistic slow movement of the switch ?

1 hour ago, Arrow said:

Will they fix the colour? Seems pretty different from the original 9v Dark Gray

That's probably because they're Dark Bluish Grey, which is currently in production and what everyone else uses/manufactures in.

also the later "world city" 9v track is dark bluish gray.

Edited by XG BC

1 hour ago, XG BC said:

also the later "world city" 9v track is dark bluish gray.

Correct but unfortunately Dark Bluish Gray 9v is even more rare and thus expensive second hand than old gray :sad:

On 9/12/2022 at 12:04 PM, Raphael said:

Hi,

how hard is the throw locking mechanism ?
can the throw be replaced with one with no locking to allow for more realistic slow movement of the switch ?

It is quite hard to switch thanks to the mechanical lock, not that hard to throw like old LEGO 9V points, but something similar.

19 hours ago, dtomsen said:

Correct but unfortunately Dark Bluish Gray 9v is even more rare and thus expensive second hand than old gray :sad:

that is true. got some for cheap a couple of years ago.